What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Got a 5lb flame king propane tank to use with my Skottle and buddy heater.
It should pay itself off not having to buy 1lb tanks anymore.
I bought one last year. Absolutely worth the money. Based on usage so far, it should last us about a week of camping, probably longer, though we've not used it with a heater.

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
I bought a blizzard box 41 qt refrig, Duracell powersource 660w and a Massimo 500w power station all from Costco. Plan is to return one of the battery units after testing out (probably the Duracell). Main reason I pulled the trigger on all of these was price. Blizzard Box $500, Duracell $450, Massimo $400, which were all about half of what the other brands I was looking at cost.
How are you liking the Massimo? I see Costco has it on sale today through the end of the year for $340 which seems like a steal for a 500W power station with MPPT. Do you know if it is a regulated 12v output? I can't find info on that.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
After a longer than anticipated time away from the trails, I'm hitting the road again this summer. I got a nice little bonus from work this year and have decided to put that towards gear. I've replaced my 10+ year old Coleman pop up tent with a Gazelle T4, which arrives today. I got an Igloo BMX 72 cooler. I'm also getting a new Coleman Camping stove camping chair and cots. Boy, I blew that bonus (and then some) pretty quick. :tearsofjoy:

The plan is this summer (2021) AZ, NM, CO & UT.
Summer 2022 TBD
Summer 2023 (assuming all goes well) up to Tuktoyaktuk.
Summer 2024 Baja

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

How are you liking the Massimo? I see Costco has it on sale today through the end of the year for $340 which seems like a steal for a 500W power station with MPPT. Do you know if it is a regulated 12v output? I can't find info on that.
I like it so far. I've only used it around the house, but it is nice. Don't know about regulated 12v.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I like it so far. I've only used it around the house, but it is nice. Don't know about regulated 12v.
One thing I've noticed about these power stations is that if it doesn't explicitly state that it has a regulated 12v output, it's safe to assume it's not regulated.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Their US headquarters (Massimo) is not far from where I work. I may need to swing by there after work one day and ask if I can check out one of these power stations. We run calls over there every once in a while.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just got ourselves a roof top tent. Because of where we go and what we do, and because of lessons learned about tents over the decades, we purchased a Tepui Autana 3 Ruggedized. Why? Multiple reasons. More often than not we have come upon the perfect campsite and not been able to pitch our Jettent 25x, either because of not enough room for it or not being able to drive a stake into the rocky ground. Another big reason is the amount of effort it takes to set up camp. RTT, maybe 15 minutes, tops. The ground tent? An hour and 45 minutes was our timed record, and we were hustling.

Reactions: Road and RoarinRow

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Rockpal 350w power station, 100w portable solar panel, tuffstuff shower enclosure and about to buy a Blizzard Box 41l fridge
Nice! Those power stations are handy. I basically just bought a similar setup.

Bought a second 500w rockpals, 120W solar panel, and a massimo 42L fridge.

Right now, I'm looking at storage containers, as I need a more organized way of hauling my gear.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

65 qt Lifetime cooler.
Its for the OR Teardrop I'm buying my wife that she wants in the worst way.
The build is quite a few months out, but with the supply problems in most any industry, I'm locking up the stove and cooler for it now.
Just picked up a Camp Chef Everest with 20,000 btu burners too. That will be the teardrops dedicated stove.

Reactions: Viking1204