What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I’ve been buying old Coleman stuff at garage sales, a model 513a heater made in October of 1973, a model 413g stove made in May of 1974, and a model 220f lantern made on August of 1965. I’m replacing my disposable green propane bottle stuff with white gas. I like the old classic stuff anyway!
At one point a few years ago I was trying to get ahold of a Coleman Peak1 multi fuel stove, complete with metal case that doubled as pots. I'll find one again someday. I loked the idea of having choices.

Meanwhile I just use either a Primus Classic Trail butane stove or a Peak1 single burner butane. Or the 2 burner propane. Or eat it cold.

Reactions: Viking1204

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Newest camping gear I've bought recently are some of the same backpacker style lanterns I used to use decades ago, these from UCO - with a glass sleeve, 9hr candle and a neoprene cocoon for transporting. I also got boxes of 9hr beeswax, citronella, and white candles to test and compare.
View attachment 118520

Also bought the UCO Pac-Flat reflector shades for these lanterns, which are quite effective at casting a good downlight for stove, table, tailgate, etc. The reflectors come apart into two identical pieces for flat packing.
View attachment 118521

I now have five of these lanterns and am trying them out around camp instead of battery and solar lights, as they provide a lower Kelvin temp, so much warmer cozier color.

I'll keep a couple in go bags for canoe and bike and overnights.

UCO also happens to make a really good, thick plastic double sided fork/spoon with holes in the handle to lash them to the inside of your pack.

Reactions: Sparksalot

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Today the Back up power supply came in from Costco. The Yahama SC2300i will be the back up to the Jackery 1000.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
UCO also happens to make a really good, thick plastic double sided fork/spoon with holes in the handle to lash them to the inside of your pack.
Holy crap that lantern has gotten expensive. I have one, with the foam condom, I bought 25 years ago. Good to know it’s still made and I can get candles for it.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
My latest purchases have been a truck bed tent and a buddy heater which both will be getting used in about a week when I go out winter camping over Christmas break. Being in Western NY it gets cold...23 degrees right now. No more sleeping on the ground and I don't like the high cost of RTT. I built a drawer system in the bed of my truck for gear storage and this tent with a queen size real mattress will fit right on top of them.

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

I bought a blizzard box 41 qt refrig, Duracell powersource 660w and a Massimo 500w power station all from Costco. Plan is to return one of the battery units after testing out (probably the Duracell). Main reason I pulled the trigger on all of these was price. Blizzard Box $500, Duracell $450, Massimo $400, which were all about half of what the other brands I was looking at cost.

Reactions: Viking1204

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

What do you guys use for power when out on the trail wheeling?
Also while at camp?
I've been doing a lot of research on solar power and solar generators! Seems like the perfect match out here in the socal sun!
Whats your guy's take on some solar gear like Jackery products? They have a range of wattage solar generators that can be charged with solar pannels an all in one kit! ☀

Portable Power Products - Jackery

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

My latest purchases have been a truck bed tent and a buddy heater which both will be getting used in about a week when I go out winter camping over Christmas break. Being in Western NY it gets cold...23 degrees right now. No more sleeping on the ground and I don't like the high cost of RTT. I built a drawer system in the bed of my truck for gear storage and this tent with a queen size real mattress will fit right on top of them.
What do you guys use for power when out on the trail wheeling?
Also while at camp?
I've been doing a lot of research on solar power and solar generators! Seems like the perfect match out here in the socal sun!
Whats your guy's take on some solar gear like Jackery products? They have a range of wattage solar generators that can be charged with solar pannels an all in one kit! ☀

Portable Power Products - Jackery

JtTribe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Arthur
Last Name
Swingler
Member #

I bought a blizzard box 41 qt refrig, Duracell powersource 660w and a Massimo 500w power station all from Costco. Plan is to return one of the battery units after testing out (probably the Duracell). Main reason I pulled the trigger on all of these was price. Blizzard Box $500, Duracell $450, Massimo $400, which were all about half of what the other brands I was looking at cost.
Have you checked out the Jackery E500 or E1000?
These can even be charged with their solar pannels that plug straight into the solar generator!
Check them out!

Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I generally do not use power when out wheeling or camping. I have a couple of inflatable solar lights for night time that last three to four nights easily, but can be recharged during the day by simply putting them on the dash while driving. To keep my phone charged I use my Milwaukee batteries from my cordless screwgun set with a usb cord. I have recently picked up a foldable portable solar panel 400watts that can be used to charge my phone or vehicle battery but haven't tested it out yet. For my food, I still do it old school in a cooler if out wheeling. When I hike into my camp which is over a mile into the woods, no vehicle, I use the snow in winter or in the summer I plan meals that don't need cooling for long. My whole idea of wheeling and camping is K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid). The less I depend on tech, the less that can go wrong. And the less I need to lug around with me in limited space/weight and without spending half a fortune to acquire all these fancy toys. I don't feel the need to show off how much I can spend to everyone else out wheeling. Disclaimer....I know not all do that, but it does appear as many do. I shock people with how simplistic my set up is and I can do the same as they can.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Picked up a Jackery 1000 and one of their solar panels on the last day of their Christmas sale. Should be here Saturday. Being thinking about it for some time, especially what size to get, finally decided to go big or go home lol. Not sure if I will need two solar panels, but figured I would give it a try with one for now. Probably don't need the full 1000 watts on most trips, but they will come in handy around the house to run my computer for work during our frequent power outages in the winter.

Reactions: Tundracamper

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Picked up a Jackery 1000 and one of their solar panels on the last day of their Christmas sale. Should be here Saturday. Being thinking about it for some time, especially what size to get, finally decided to go big or go home lol. Not sure if I will need two solar panels, but figured I would give it a try with one for now. Probably don't need the full 1000 watts on most trips, but they will come in handy around the house to run my computer for work during our frequent power outages in the winter.
Looking forward to hearing how it all works for trips and at home...

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

Attachments

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I use them more for down hill braking but if I was smart I would have put them on when I decided to test out the unmarked snow
Oh does your pictures bring back some memories of my past.
Well the photo was from last Saturday when we went up to Mt St Helens to get a Christmas tree. But last time in the F250 we got stuck in the snow up there was 2 years ago and we had zero recovery gear. Made for a long walk. We met a Australian guy named Skip that helped us out.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Saw this Kitchen 24 set on a GSI website after seeing the GSI Pot and Pan set on the “Two- Minute Camp Kitchen Setup” on the OB channel and, voila, it appeared under the tree for Christmas.

Just one more reason to get outside soon.

Attachments

Reactions: Squatchman