Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

So I've been using an old Coleman twin burner white gas. 2 years ago I picked one up in propane. I would love to find one of those wok style propane set ups with legs but I don't want to break the bank or know were to look. Any of the OB family know where to look?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I've been using an old Coleman twin burner white gas. 2 years ago I picked one up in propane. I would love to find one of those wok style propane set ups with legs but I don't want to break the bank or know were to look. Any of the OB family know where to look?
Cabala’s, Big 5, Dicks, Amazon, eBay, just to name a few places.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Do an internt search for 'DIY Skottle'. They are fairly simple to build. A DIY one will cost about $65 as opposed to $200 - $400 brand new. Used ones seem to go for around $150.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There are actually a few threads on here that talk about building your own. Some will call them 'cowboy cooker' or 'cowboy wok'.
I’m guessing the horseshoes gave it away.

Attachments

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I’m guessing the horseshoes gave it away.
Nice... you should post the thread link.

Following is the main one I was thinking of, as well as a more recent build and others. There is a rather massive thread on here - somewhere - that showcases several DIY versions of it. One is absolutely massive and intended to be used for a crowd.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Nice... you should post the thread link.

Following is the main one I was thinking of, as well as a more recent build and others. There is a rather massive thread on here - somewhere - that showcases several DIY versions of it. One is absolutely massive and intended to be used for a crowd.

one of those gets it, I don’t recall which one.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Partner Steel 1 burner stove, small griddle, and 5lb small propane tank. Small, compact, sturdy, but pricey.
TNF1.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I love my partner stove, they are the best. A Scotty is not a wok, to get the btu’s you need for a wok is hard for commercial stove. A wok needs tons of heat.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Soon to be Skottle, one pan for all your cooking and easy clean-up. I will use my Jetboil for Coffee and Soup only. I used to use a 2 burner Coolman, but when you cook burgers or greasy food it is a pain in the you know what to clean.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Soon to be Skottle, one pan for all your cooking and easy clean-up. I will use my Jetboil for Coffee and Soup only. I used to use a 2 burner Coolman, but when you cook burgers or greasy food it is a pain in the you know what to clean.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1983, I bought a 2 burner Coleman stove as my father had used a similar one for the family for many years past. After using mine for a couple of years, I purchased a propane replacement generator for it, because of the EASE of use on cold mornings. The convenience was night and day better. I used it with a Coleman 'TREE' along with a lantern set on top for ease of cooking and general camp lighting. It's been a nice camp combo ever since.

I keep the original red tank, stored with it, for back-up, thus having a redundancy while in the boonies. White gas is very stable (sealed), unlike unleaded in multi-fuel setup equipment. This avoids fuel additives (around cooking) and ethanol issues with long term storage.

Last edited:

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

The Bayou Classic 7488 shows up on Amazon from time to time @ $25-30. My Coleman 533 single burner fits nicely under it as a heat source when cooking on a picnic table and I've also used it over a bed of campfire embers. I still prefer my old liquid fuel 413E Coleman with Lodge frying pan and/or griddle.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I can't seem to find it in me to replace the old stuff I've been using for years. I actually bought a newer Coleman stove to replace this one because it's getting a little bit worn out, but ended up getting rid of it because it just wasn't to same. Ended up just replacing all of the seals end parts needed on the old one and have been continuing to use it. 20200705_092927.jpg

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I can't seem to find it in me to replace the old stuff I've been using for years. I actually bought a newer Coleman stove to replace this one because it's getting a little bit worn out, but ended up getting rid of it because it just wasn't to same. Ended up just replacing all of the seals end parts needed on the old one and have been continuing to use it. View attachment 187607
I have one of these.. Good stove to have.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just like my air fryer I am still trying to figure out what my use cases would be for a skottle. I'm just not used to cooking a variety of food on a wok-type or air fryer type setup. So I just have a single burner propane/butane camping stove. I also have a Camp Chief dual burner grill setup.

Reactions: MMc