What's the best order to build a rig?

• HTML tutorial

KaizerWilhelm

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

I'm new to the game and, to get straight to the point, I don't know what to do first on my build. I've got a 2017 Toyota Tacoma Off Road, essentially bone stock. The only thing I've done is add Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners.

I do use this truck as my daily driver and it is a client facing vehicle, so i'd rather it be done right. I'm also of the mentality of "buy once, cry once". I don't mind taking this build slow or piecing it together.

I just want some guidance and to learn from those who have come before me!

Mateoblagana

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Clarita, Ca.
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Following.
I have the same truck! Stock for now.
I figure I’ll start with wheels/tires/lift when I save up. I might get a roof rack before that.
Took a family trip over the Mohave Road from Calico east to Lake Mohave then down to Joshua Tree then up to Big Bear in the spring. Stock was plenty enough for that trip. Except when we got caught up high center on a small hill I had no business on. Good thing for friendly wheelers passing by.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: KaizerWilhelm

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I'm new to the game and, to get straight to the point, I don't know what to do first on my build. I've got a 2017 Toyota Tacoma Off Road, essentially bone stock. The only thing I've done is add Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners.

I do use this truck as my daily driver and it is a client facing vehicle, so i'd rather it be done right. I'm also of the mentality of "buy once, cry once". I don't mind taking this build slow or piecing it together.

Someone passed onto me and I will pass onto you for the first purchase would be a front bumper with a winch. Why? When you out wheeling, camping in remote places or helping a buddy get out of a sticky situation you just have that security.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If money is an issue, the very first thing would be recovery points, not factory hold downs or wrapping a strap around an axle.

Willy G

Rank II

Enthusiast III

It all depends on how hard of terrain you want to go over.

I like the idea of finding weak links closer to home, but you will never know at what moment something will break on the vehicle.

I'm doing up a sidekick now. Winch and bumper where the first things, Then its rock sliders to keep it pretty, because it doesn't matter what lift you put on, Sliders and bumpers will work with most all lifts.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I've gone all over the place. Started with maintenance stuff, then got sidetracked by some good deals and ended up with a prinsu roof rack and cvt rtt. Then I did suspension, because honestly, I hate OEM toyota suspensions. I like a stiffer upgraded suspension. Then I did a bunch of interior stuff to fix things that annoyed me. Then I ran out of budget, before my maintenance stuff was ever done.

Now I've got my "big annoying things" taken care of, I'm taking more of a logical approach. Maintenance, preventative maintenance and preventative replacement of parts since I'm just over 200K, and building up recovery gear slowly.

I'm looking at big ticket items in 2 categories: camping, and vehicle. Camping is just that. It improves comfort or ease of camping, or ease of quickly getting out somewhere with short notice. Vehicle based would be things that improve and upgrade the vehicles ability to go places. Winch, armor, tires, etc.

Our next big ticket items are based on our family's experiences camping and our priorities. So, camping priorities are a 270 degree awning, and a drawer system for some improved organization of tools and kitchen stuff. Vehicle priorities are tires, hidden winch and winch mount. Then I guess we're going to either go down the electrical/batteries/lighting rabbit trail, or stick with some more basic armor add ons.

There's no formula for this. I'm explaining something my wife and I have come up with as we've gone out and camped and used our vehicle. So just do that! Take your vehicle, throw whatever camping gear you already have in the back, and go to a state park, or up some mild roads into some BLM or public land if you have some near you. Do a mild camping trip, take some notes, and make some lists of:

-Things you brought or prioritized that you didn't need
-Things you didn't have that you NEEDED
-Biggest upgrades or gear investments that you would most prefer or prioritize, or that would make your next trip easier.

Do this a few times, and your "build" however mild or extreme, will start following your own needs.

Cmel06

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
First Name
Cesar
Last Name
Melgarejo
Member #

Depends on where you are. I’m in the Sierras so my first purchase on my 4Runner was rock sliders and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Tank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rancho Santa Margarita
Member #

All the suggestions and ideas above are very good. Another item that may or not be a direct modification to your rig, but essential for its purpose is navigation and communication. CB or HAM, or both, and a good offline compatible navigation app such as Gaia GPS is a must. These items are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the mods you’ll be faced with.

Reactions: Dpie1495

KaizerWilhelm

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

@Tank I hear what you’re saying. I’ve actually already got Gaia on my iPad with a Dual XGPS150, coms coming shortly.

I figure I can’t go anywhere if I don’t know where I’m going and can’t get help.

Reactions: Tank

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

This is a great question. I got many of the same answers when I asked where to start. Stating with an older vehicle. Checking and replacing if necessary, all the normal wear and service items. Everything I replace is done with OEM, or high quality replacement parts. And everything we do to the vehicle is done well. We don't cut corners , even on simple stuff. Building a dependable vehicle is most important to me, and now I'm adding the other things as I need them.

I've read a few times here this really good advice: "get out and use your vehicle , even if it's not as completely built as you want it" . Enjoy what you have at the moment . Gain experience, and ask questions. I'm doing this every chance I get.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Decide what type of OB you will do, rock crawling build way diff than forest road driving....Take your time on deciding this...You might change your mind a couple times.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I was told once locker in rear is more useful than a lift, a winch more helpful than sliders.....Meaning, what item/mod will give you best ability for the buck and time.

Jim

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

This is a great question. I got many of the same answers when I asked where to start. Stating with an older vehicle. Checking and replacing if necessary, all the normal wear and service items. Everything I replace is done with OEM, or high quality replacement parts. And everything we do to the vehicle is done well. We don't cut corners , even on simple stuff. Building a dependable vehicle is most important to me, and now I'm adding the other things as I need them.

I've read a few times here this really good advice: "get out and use your vehicle , even if it's not as completely built as you want it" . Enjoy what you have at the moment . Gain experience, and ask questions. I'm doing this every chance I get.
It has takin me 2 years to get my jeep the way I want it and I'm not done yet. Take your time because you will change you mind on your needs and what you want. I started out with a bumper and winch to have the ability to self recovery. I also got a good set of comms (CB or Ham radio) along with GPS system. I also carry a map book, compass, and I got a hold of the State and Federal Ranger maps of the local area. Good luck and have fun. Get out there as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Joe you brought up a oft over looked item, comms, I have hit the trails alone for years and never thought about it and had issues but never severe, but for oh about a year now, I get the "This is dumb to be out alone" gut feeeling.......Anyway one thing I did was buy me an InReach sat comm, cells suck most areas out and about, sat is the way to go and often over looked.

Jim

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA

Your truck is very capable in stock form and doesn't really need anything to get out on the trail. I'd recommend common sense items like a first aid kit and fire extinguisher, but otherwise just go out and start exploring. That is the best way to see what (if anything) you need to upgrade.

- Matt