Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I was running the BFG KO2 then switched to Cooper STT Pro and have been utterly blown away.

HolyJim
Yep.. I run the stt pro on my dodge and even on my heavy truck I've been impressed. Almost 10k miles on them and they still look near new.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I just took my rig up to Mammoth during the snow storm, and I was incredibly impressed with my Cooper AT3'S, I had grip in situations where I never would have imagined... On iced up hills I just threw it in low range and locked the center diff and it just crawled right up, I also headed over to some of the hot springs, and the dirt roads were totally covered in snow and ice puddles (about a foot and a half deep). Absolutely no issues pulling through the powder and cracking the ice. We found 4 stranded cars at the different springs, just left till they can be pulled out. The entire time I had more grip on my fully aired up AT3's then a tundra and a sienna (AWD) with chains on all 4 corners had... Incredibly impressed...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

After reading up on the article posted about these on ExPo, I'm pretty certain I'll get me a set of these for my next new set of tires. I just need to find them in C or E ply in my size range

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
Scratch that. Putting a fresh set of Cooper ST Maxxs on the Jeep. They seem to be the great equalizer from what I've heard

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Hello everyone! Who'said running what for rubber? Pros?Cons? What is the normal/avg terrain you travel in your area?

I run Kelly Safari TSR. I run mostly hard packed trails.....always some sloppy spots though. I also run our rights as a daily. Our winters consists of ice and snow. yahoo Canada! lol! I honestly haven't had any issues with these tires.

So, tell us what ya'll run.
From your description of the terrain you run and what you deal with in weather I'd stay with a good set of A/T tires. On my daily drivers I've ran multiple sets of BFG and loved them. But for trail my son and I run Mickey Thompson MTZP3 and Baja Claws. We live in an area with red clay mud - very sticky and A/T is useless. I seriously considered the Mickey ATZP3. Very nice looking tread and the YouTub reviews were great. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Nig

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

WI
Member #

Scratch that. Putting a fresh set of Cooper ST Maxxs on the Jeep. They seem to be the great equalizer from what I've heard

I've been running ST Maxx for about 4 years now, and love them. Excellent off road traction and quiet on road, tread wear is great as well. I was debating on switching to the new pros but the ST Maxx have been hard to beat.

Reactions: wgmclain96

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Currently I am running Ko2, load range E, But I have used a lot of different tires and brands on vehicles over the years.I loved the old True-Tracs I had on both my K5 and Ramcharger but they wore quickly on the street.....

Nig

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

WI
Member #

That's always something good to know. I've heard they wear like iron

I missed a rotation and an alignment, and ran on bad ball joints for an embarrassing amount of time last year, which did a bit more wear. But even as a daily driver, I still have at least 2/3 tread left on a solid 40-50k. The last 3 sets of BFGs I had don't come close to comparing to the maxxs. I will easily get twice the use out of these..

I drool over the ST pros, but as good as these have been, and the reviews I have seen from the big name overlanding guys, is what got me on to the maxxs. Plus the whole set of 4 over a set of 5 new tread pattern saves a few hundred and gives me a few extra back ups as well.

Reactions: wgmclain96

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

BFG Ko2's are fantastic. I've run them on multiple vehicles and have only 1 complaint, they suck on ice. But any good a/t tire will not perform well on ice, hence why they make winter tires designed specifically for ice ( Ex. Michelin X-Ice 3) I've heard the new grabber 3's don't perform well in snow but are great elsewhere(don't quote me on that, just from research and word of mouth). Another choice would be the Duratracs, fantastic in the mud and work very well in the snow considering how soft the tire is. I'm no expert in tires but I do consider myself very knowledgeable, I do install and sell them for a living.

Reactions: 1derer

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I've heard the new grabber 3's don't perform well in snow but are great elsewhere(don't quote me on that, just from research and word of mouth).
That's exactly what I've heard. I actually put the X3s on my candidate list because of the price, despite not really wanting an MT. Reason I took them off was because of how small the 255/75R17 size runs, that's a ~32"×10" tire. The X3s are spec'd at a 30.3" diameter or something close to that unless there's an error

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have been a fan of the Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires, deep lugs, good center pattern so they are not too loud and wear was decent on my LX450 (FJ80) KM2 Close second but BFG seems to be discontinuing 16" sizes getting difficult to find in 35".

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Cooper STT Pro - amazing tires! Mud terrain but they can really be used for just about anything.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

About 40K miles ago I put on Nitto Trail Grapplers. When new, they were quiet on the Highway (not so much now) and took everything I threw at them on the trails.
I live in DFW so I haven't had any major snow/ice in the last 3 years. Just light snow and they did fine.
Black Gap.jpg FB_IMG_1423955384878-1.jpg

Reactions: Glenn and ASNOBODY

Huck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Romeoville
Member #

Ran several different tires on my 2012 raptor

Bfg ko - great tire but was known to dry rot. Rotted in 10k miles
General red letter grabbers - great in sand and dirt. Failed quickly on rocks, horrible in light rain and deadly in snow
Toyo MT- good in mud, heavy and horrible in just about everything else
Good year duratrac - awesome all around tire. Light, inexpensive, great wear, good snow, decent mud, good wear weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCBrian