What tires do you like? (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

General Grabber AT 2's. Only had 'em on for about 1k miles, mostly on road, but so far I'm happy. I settled on those because they seemed to meet the nexus of price, on road comfort and off road ability. Time and further off road experience will tell...

Reactions: Ferd F-150 (Andrew)

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I run the Cooper rtt pros. So far I love them. I have about 6000 miles on them with no rotation yet and they still look new. They are noisy but they are great in the snow and ice as well as desert and mountain Terrain.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I run 33'' BFGoodrich A/T K02s. I like them a lot. I'm from Southern California so most of my terrain is rock. However, it gets muddy when it rains (if it ever rains.) As my daily driver, I like their on-road performance. Not loud at all.
I'll second the KO2s, I have had mine just under 10,000 miles. They have served me well. Been abused like hell, rocks, dirt and desert miles, snow and mud. Only time they have let me down was a situation where any All Terrain would have, steep muddy uphill climb. Thick mud that cakes up all terrains. Other than that they still look new and are great on the highway.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I rather enjoy my KO2's as well, they've done everything I've asked of them and never left me stranded anywhere. However, I think I'm going to switch to the new General Grabber X3's when it comes time for tires this spring. Watching how they performed with the Expedition Overland vehicles, I was pretty impressed and all the reviews I've read thus far are pretty positive.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Its taken me a while to get back to normal and forum checking since I got back. Happy to report the KM3 did good in testing and our team of 10 vehicles all equipped on the KM3s. We had two flats during testing before the race which made us think we were going to do a bunch of tire changes on the cars. But both flats had no signs of punctures, slow leak out of bead, and both times happen on a hard bank turn that had a rock we couldn't see. Tire must of hit just right at 30mph+ sideways to possibly flex the sidewall enough to get debris near the bead and create a slow leak. We prepared for lots of tire changes but all went smooth and had the usual few tire changes just like any other race. With 10 cars on the course I say it went well.
I also have to point out these are not the final production compound and probably look. Overall very happy with the performance and they way they handled. Cant wait to get set on my vehicle once they are out.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Been running BFGs for nearly 3 decades. My current set is the old version of KOs. They currently have 45,000 miles on em and still going strong with minimal even treadwear. I must point out that I do rotate 5 tires. This Feb or March I'll be getting a new set (not even going to shop) as we prepare for our next 6 week tour of the western US. We will be getting the new version of the KOs, why fix what has never broken?

Reactions: Larry

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

I am running the new Falken AT3W. They have been amazing so far. I came from KO2 that for whatever reason gave me lots of vibrations no matter who balanced the tires. Switched to the Falkens and all my problems were gone and they have been great at everything I've thrown at them.

Reactions: dolli310

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I am running the new Falken AT3W. They have been amazing so far. I came from KO2 that for whatever reason gave me lots of vibrations no matter who balanced the tires. Switched to the Falkens and all my problems were gone and they have been great at everything I've thrown at them.
Just curious here, what are you driving? I've heard that complaint about BFGs more than once.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Been very happy with my Goodyear Duratracs. They're pretty decent in everything (haven't tried deep mud, and don't plan to), but they are PHENOMENAL in snow and rain!

I also got 45,000 miles of hard driving on my first set, and still had almost 1/4" of tread when I replaced them.

If long-term reviews are favorable, I plan to test out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers next time I get new shoes.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

Just curious here, what are you driving? I've heard that complaint about BFGs more than once.
I am driving a 2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4WD. I was using 275/70/17 for the KO2. In the Falkens I am using 285/70/17. They are certainly bigger but ride much better. I've used them in sandy conditions, packed dirt, and little bit of mud. Hoping to get them out in the snow this winter. A friend of mine who has the same tires on his Tacoma said they performed really well over the weekend in the snow. They do have the snowflake rating on them.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ

After some baja abuse. I have to give it to BFG for spending so much time on their offroad tires from design to real world racing to finalize their product. Its been fun to try out their development over the years from the KRs, KOs, and KMs. Toyo is also another awesome tire the other Trophy trucks and classes run, they hold up well too. Consider they all run and spin a 39"-40" tire from ~800hp motors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thatcajunguy

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I am driving a 2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4WD. I was using 275/70/17 for the KO2. In the Falkens I am using 285/70/17. They are certainly bigger but ride much better. I've used them in sandy conditions, packed dirt, and little bit of mud. Hoping to get them out in the snow this winter. A friend of mine who has the same tires on his Tacoma said they performed really well over the weekend in the snow. They do have the snowflake rating on them.
I'm not up on Chevys. Is that a solid front axle? I ask because I have heard that IFS can be very picky about what tires work well.

Caleb Cowan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Little Rock, AR
Member #

I ran KO2's for years, switched to BFG M/T's, then switched back last week to KO2's. My last set went 55k miles with TONS of abuse. I switched to M/T's to see if I could tell a difference. Yes, and not in a good way. They were loud, awful in the rain and snow, and were soft. They NEVER let me down, however there's nothing they did that my KO2's wouldn't. Honestly unless you're only riding mud, why get mud terrains? 10 ply all terrains are a love child between Jesus and the truck gods.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I have a 08 JKU. It came with Duratracs which performed okay. Very soft on road and loud. Switched to the KO2s 275/70 r18 and omg so much better. Better on road handling and off road seems to be super good. I mainly daily on regular roads. But sometimes hit the country back road. (Rocky hardpack.) Been in sandy and muddy conditions and they pulled through great! Can't complain about a tire that can do quite a bit.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You are correct. It is IFS. It also has electronic power steering which may be sensitive as well.
wow,, electronic power steering? Whoa... I hate to be off topc here, but I hope for your sake that EPS doesn't turn into a nightmare as so many chevy innovations have over the years.. I just replaced my old school gear driven ps pump. It had 21 years and 260,000 miles on it. Good luck with that bell and whistle..

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

Went from BFG KOs (33"x10.5"R15) to BFG KMs (255/75R17, JKR takeoffs) last March. Love the rims, but hate the KMs. They are noisy, ride awful, and can't handle on anything but bone dry pavement. However, they out performed my old KOs offroad hands down. Looking to replace them as soon as possible but my budget is my biggest limiting factor. Currently have my eyes on Cooper ST Maxx's but I'm open to several options. My other limiting factor is wanting to run C-ply sidewalls, B-ply scares me too much and E-ply is just too heavy for my little TJ. However, considering the prices of some B-ply tires I am now on the fence. Recommendations or experiences with B-ply tires to convince me otherwise?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
When I had my TJ rubicon I ran E rated KM tires only, for way too many reasons than I care to articulate on this post. I ran them at right around 30 psi unless we were loaded down, then 34psi. And they were great in all kinds of weather, albeit a bit noisy. I'd run nothing less than a D rating.. chances are, if you're sliding around on wet or snow covered roads you probably have them way over inflated.. if I was on snow covered roads I'd airdown to 26..