Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Everybody says the economy is doing so great.....In my field (electrical engineering), wages dropped around 50% due to work being shipped over seas after 1999. My job has been outsourced several times. I am just now getting back to the rates I was getting 20 years ago yet housing and food costs twice as much. Things change, times change. Never had to worry about covering expenses back then, now everybody I know is struggling.

Voodoo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salt Lake City, Utah
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Rambo
Member #

Service Branch
uS Navy
Well, Right now not much but soon, the snow will be falling and most of the roads will be closed..

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Well, the last two trips I have missed have been on account of work being done on the XJ, and it looks like I am going to miss at least one more on that account in a couple of weeks. All my projects take too long.

That is a time issue.

If I were rolling in money that could be solved, but I am not, so call it a money issue too.

Such is life.

I am hoping that once I get this thing built to the level I want it will be reliable and I will get out more with The Varmints.

Reactions: old_man

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Time and money. I own my own business, and it's still not in the black yet, so I have to work a part-time job to supplement my income. While I may have a morning or afternoon off here and there, it's rare for me to have even one whole day off, let alone multiple days for a trip.

I know it's temporary, but I want to be able to start making some small trips here and there while my son is still young and impressionable.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Hmmm...well, I only work part time so, I would have to say that "non-vehicle" adventuring (ie; backpacking, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, hang/para-gliding, snow shoeing, canoeing, etc.) is what keeps me from overlanding the most. On the other hand...alot of times I have to overland to get to the adventure locations....so maybe I overland more than I think!

D

donuteater

It's a big mix between working six or seven days a week, having a six year old and a two month old and time management. I always try to make the choice to get out and let the boy play in the dirt rather than stuck behind the TV. Once the little one gets a bit older we will be back on the road a bit more.

HoneyBadgerXJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Treadwell
Member #

Time isn't really an issue for me. I always seem to have free time during the weekend and I've always got enough vacation time on the books to take a few days. Money is for sure the crutch on my end. With all the stupid spending habits when I was younger, the loans and my credit card, I don't really have the room financially to go out like I want to. And there's always something that comes up. Some unexpected bill, emergency trip to the vet for the dog, getting a dog in the first place. On top of those things I'm running on some nearly bald tires. But soon. Soon I will be nearly debt free and lost in the woods somewhere, just me and my Jeep.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Everybody says the economy is doing so great.....In my field (electrical engineering), wages dropped around 50% due to work being shipped over seas after 1999. My job has been outsourced several times. I am just now getting back to the rates I was getting 20 years ago yet housing and food costs twice as much. Things change, times change. Never had to worry about covering expenses back then, now everybody I know is struggling.
Any general advice for those with 25+ years of the rat race still in front of them?

Reactions: old_man

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I have a long list of excuses;

1. Priorities -- I have three active kids and a busy wife. None of them are that excited about overloading. I feel guilty about leaving all the responsibility to my wife or missing out on anything my kids are doing. I'm still working on them. If I can get them interested, it will be a lot easier for me to get them on board.
2. Location -- I live in Oklahoma City. There aren't any overloading destinations near here. There are decent places to camp in campgrounds but that is it.
3. Experience -- I've actually never done any overloading. I'm reading about it, buying gear for it, etc. I am really interested in the High-water mark trail in the Ozarks but I don't want to go it alone (especially first time out) and I don't know anyone else with the equipment and desire. I'm watching for someone to do an organized trip. I think this would be a good jumping off point for me.

Prior to this year, I was short handed at work and had no time to do anything. This year business has been slow and money has been tight. However, I finally got the time to use my Jeep for its intended purpose. I took 3 (3) day trips for off-roading and really had a great time. I conquered 10 badge of honor trails along the way.

I plan to do more of that next year and will hopefully mix in some overloading too. My business is now for sale. I'm praying for a buyer. If all goes well, I might take a month or two in the summer next year to load up the Jeep and see where it takes me (and whoever decides to join me) before I jump into something else.

Kage

Rank 0

Traveler I

Time and location for us. With two kids under 4, a new house build, and other various time sucker activities, it has been difficult to get out and do more than a brief day trip here and there. We are hoping that 2018 works out a bit better for us once things calm down after the 1st quarter.

Location doesn't help much either. The good thing about this area is there is quite a bit of hiking that can be done within a 2 hour drive. The bad thing about the area is that it is 14 hours from the closest real mountains. So our real back road trips are often limited to one week a year where we can make the run out west.

I'm still thankful that we have been able to make those trips though!

SGpdx

Rank III

Contributor III

Oregon
Feeling confident with the ability to pull my self out if it gets ugly, schedule sucks, never off weekends so usually going it with just my rig.