What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You have it, use it... only cost is the wire and fuses... yes CB is going away, but it’s not dead... here in my area, the CB is better served as a warning device on FS Roads where logging is going on. I have 3 dash mounted CBs, one of which is going in my rig, the other two are going to be given to a couple of members here on the forums.

Jim, besides your trip this year, I don’t know what your goals are for years to come. I would hate for you to spend money getting into GRMS or Ham, and only need it for this one trip. But if it were me, and I was making one huge trip, for the price I would look into Ham. The license is cheaper than GRMS, and you can find cheap Chinese radios that will work fine for your needs. Talk to @Prerunner1982 for more advice on coms... he has really been helping me out.

Use your old Hand Held CB with an external mag mount Antenna on your way out west, and bring your mobile CB with you, and when you get out here you and I will discuss mounting the mobile rig if you feel like it.
Yes @Prerunner has his act together and we have talked some. It's hard to talk without seeing. The lingo is foreign to my ears now even though I graduated from Air Force radio electronics school in Biloxi 67 years ago and we talked about diodes and triodes, high frequencies were almost unknown let alone ultra high frequencies and whatever they use today. I have never forgotten my Morse code but I cant take it at 30 words a minute any more for sure and I stumble on some from lack of use anymore.. I hated electronics and only passed all the tests because if I failed they would have sent me to cook school (which was in reality a better profession) or air Police school where they sent everyone who washed out of electronic school.

I will bring what I have when I come in June. That is just one of the reasons I'm coming to PNW rally, to learn from people who know what they are doing in a hands on situation.

Mike, my long term goals are pretty short because of my age but is another reason I need some of these things to let someone know where they can come get the body. The GPS will tell me where I am, a cell phone will probably allow me to make contact with family or friends if I can get a signal. The other COMM's are more for travel talk as far as I am concerned so a CB is okay on Interstates and state roads more than likely. With the various rigs I have I should be able to almost constantly stay on the road for a couple of years.

I don't want to spend my last years sitting here rotting away watching TV all day. My two kids who live with me need the house and my money to pay the bills, what I have left each month will let me get by without all the Hullaballoo and disfunction that I live with now. I'll be looking for cross country treks and a lot of solo adventures into the wilderness areas for long stays, fishing and hunting as much as I am able to do with my bad legs.

Reactions: M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s more than a ground issue... ground only controls the motor. The vacuum actuators and check valves aren’t working. The heater core is plugged, and the whole system is just a mess... My Bronco was owned by some Drug Users and it shows everywhere. Broken out windows from losing the key, to missing horn and cruise control buttons, to wheel bearings being installed backwards... yes backwards. I got a smoking deal on this old girl though, and I knew it was going to be a project to get her back on the road.
1980 model Fords has bad vacuum problems Mike. I had an 80 model Ford short bed passenger van that I bought new for my wife to haul all my kids around for their activities and our road trips to the mountains. When the vacuum that actuates the air conditioning system and heating system went out I took it to a mechanic who disconnected all the lines and blew them all out. He mistakenly some how misconnected the lines when hooked them up and they sucked transmission fluid into the vacuum system. The whole system was destroyed and never worked properly again. Yes the mechanic screwed them up but the system was screwed up anyway as soon as the van reached the 100,000 mile mark. It's called built in design obsolesce.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ordered today, an axle with 4.75" more added to the track so I can run the same tires on the Jeep and trailer and 1 spare will work for both.
Are you talking about axle width ? Wouldn't it be less expensive to just add wheel spacers ? I do'no nutten !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes @Prerunner has his act together and we have talked some. It's hard to talk without seeing. The lingo is foreign to my ears now even though I graduated from Air Force radio electronics school in Biloxi 67 years ago and we talked about diodes and triodes, high frequencies were almost unknown let alone ultra high frequencies and whatever they use today. I have never forgotten my Morse code but I cant take it at 30 words a minute any more for sure and I stumble on some from lack of use anymore.. I hated electronics and only passed all the tests because if I failed they would have sent me to cook school (which was in reality a better profession) or air Police school where they sent everyone who washed out of electronic school.

I will bring what I have when I come in June. That is just one of the reasons I'm coming to PNW rally, to learn from people who know what they are doing in a hands on situation.

Mike, my long term goals are pretty short because of my age but is another reason I need some of these things to let someone know where they can come get the body. The GPS will tell me where I am, a cell phone will probably allow me to make contact with family or friends if I can get a signal. The other COMM's are more for travel talk as far as I am concerned so a CB is okay on Interstates and state roads more than likely. With the various rigs I have I should be able to almost constantly stay on the road for a couple of years.

I don't want to spend my last years sitting here rotting away watching TV all day. My two kids who live with me need the house and my money to pay the bills, what I have left each month will let me get by without all the Hullaballoo and disfunction that I live with now. I'll be looking for cross country treks and a lot of solo adventures into the wilderness areas for long stays, fishing and hunting as much as I am able to do with my bad legs.
Fishing and Hunting is good for the sole. I think it’s what kept both my dad and grandpa alive after we lost their wives.

I want to learn Morse Code. It has always facinated me. Unfortunately it’s no longer required to get your Ham licenses. However knowing some electrical jargon helps, along with Ohms Law. I was getting most messed up with parallel and series circuits, and how power reacted differently in each. 2 weeks studying the flash cards allowed me to pass the Technician Test, and without studying for the General, I missed one question too many. Next month I am going back for my General License.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Sounds like you need to take off and nuke the entire thing from orbit. :wink:
Naw, I needed a long term project rig... and picking up a 4x4 for under 2 grand around here is pretty much a steal...Bronco makes it worth much more... I picked it up at the perfect time... 6 months later and it would have been a $4,000 rig just because it was a Bronco without any rust.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Naw, I needed a long term project rig... and picking up a 4x4 for under 2 grand around here is pretty much a steal...Bronco makes it worth much more... I picked it up at the perfect time... 6 months later and it would have been a $4,000 rig just because it was a Bronco without any rust.
A year ago that is what I was looking for. I found a lot of nice clean ones in Arizona for $1000-$1500 but something was wrong with them that wouldn't let me drive them home (like water pumps, tranny slipping, electrical problems) and the freight was $700+ to have them hauled to me. I have a car trailer but it wasn't road ready with 4 bad old rotting tires. I wasn't sure whether the sellers were telling me the truth and if I drove over and repaired it myself I had no one to drive it back for me and I cant drive two cars at once. In my search I found the LRD2 , at a really good price, 100K miles , new a/t tires, ready to go anywhere I was told. Las Cruces is 120 miles away and my daughter went with me in case I made the purchase. At $2000 I couldn't turn it down. All the other LRD2's I had seen were $3500 to $4500 in this 300 mile radius. I gave it a trial run and thought I was driving a Cadillac. Best buy I ever made next to my Dodge truck. Both were one owners and both sellers had the new car itch and ready to get rid of them. He wanted $2200 which included a new plastic rear bumper which I didn't want , so he cut the LRD2 $200 and I drove it off. I had planned a $5000 total cost rig. I'm about there now and I'm about finished with the rig itself minus the rear bumper. Probably invest another $2000 next year but for now I'm just going to use it as is. I think if the engine were to go it is worth the $3500 to replace it and still only have roughly $10,000 in it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A year ago that is what I was looking for. I found a lot of nice clean ones in Arizona for $1000-$1500 but something was wrong with them that wouldn't let me drive them home (like water pumps, tranny slipping, electrical problems) and the freight was $700+ to have them hauled to me. I have a car trailer but it wasn't road ready with 4 bad old rotting tires. I wasn't sure whether the sellers were telling me the truth and if I drove over and repaired it myself I had no one to drive it back for me and I cant drive two cars at once. In my search I found the LRD2 , at a really good price, 100K miles , new a/t tires, ready to go anywhere I was told. Las Cruces is 120 miles away and my daughter went with me in case I made the purchase. At $2000 I couldn't turn it down. All the other LRD2's I had seen were $3500 to $4500 in this 300 mile radius. I gave it a trial run and thought I was driving a Cadillac. Best buy I ever made next to my Dodge truck. Both were one owners and both sellers had the new car itch and ready to get rid of them. He wanted $2200 which included a new plastic rear bumper which I didn't want , so he cut the LRD2 $200 and I drove it off. I had planned a $5000 total cost rig. I'm about there now and I'm about finished with the rig itself minus the rear bumper. Probably invest another $2000 next year but for now I'm just going to use it as is. I think if the engine were to go it is worth the $3500 to replace it and still only have roughly $10,000 in it.
My Bronco wasn’t running when I bought her, but it was literally around the corner from my house, so a quick call to a friend and we were able to drag it to my house. Two hours later and no money invested I had it running, 4 hours later and 20 bucks and the no start issue was completely fixed enough to be reliable (still need a new steering column to be 100% g2g). A week later and I had the breaks done, wheel bearing installed correctly, new u-joints and cv joint installed. Later on down the road I replaced the starter, alternator, radiator and the hoses. Then the smog pump let go on my shakedown run and my Kallie had to come get me. That was a pain to find the correct belt to bypass the smog pump.
Now I am just waiting for the temps to get high enough to finish my cooling system repair and just dealing with no heat when I have to take the old girl somewhere.
If my brother can sell his bike over the next couple of weeks, I can barrow my dad’s garage long enough to redo the heating and cooling system. I might even be able to use it long enough to get my winch installed as well.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My Bronco wasn’t running when I bought her, but it was literally around the corner from my house, so a quick call to a friend and we were able to drag it to my house. Two hours later and no money invested I had it running, 4 hours later and 20 bucks and the no start issue was completely fixed enough to be reliable (still need a new steering column to be 100% g2g). A week later and I had the breaks done, wheel bearing installed correctly, new u-joints and cv joint installed. Later on down the road I replaced the starter, alternator, radiator and the hoses. Then the smog pump let go on my shakedown run and my Kallie had to come get me. That was a pain to find the correct belt to bypass the smog pump.
Now I am just waiting for the temps to get high enough to finish my cooling system repair and just dealing with no heat when I have to take the old girl somewhere.
If my brother can sell his bike over the next couple of weeks, I can barrow my dad’s garage long enough to redo the heating and cooling system. I might even be able to use it long enough to get my winch installed as well.
You make it sound easy but I know from experience nothing mechanical is easy. You done good Bud !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
sorry I didnt get that
Oh sorry, wrong comment to wrong post. I bought some driving lights from a member and he said I could pay him $1.00 a month for 75 years if I wanted. His truck looks a lot like yours and I didn't read your name and mistook you for him. I thought you were him and that he was going to the 4wd show and my comment was related to that situation. I bet you were confused, I would have been too. :-)

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I was finally able to order my lift kit today, 3" lift with coilovers in the front, Piggyback remote reservoirs in the back, new SPC UCAs and dual add-a-leafs. Should be installed and ready to go with new tires (285/75/r16s) and a new alignment by this time next month.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Installed this week. Slimline Bumper from Southernstyle Offroad. I keep telling myself but trying to get a suspension for my next purchase. Leaning towards Dobinsons quick ride so I can do the rear down the line.

View attachment 141074View attachment 141075
Put a winch on it before you mess with front suspension not after. Get all the weight on it before doing your measurements

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Installed this week. Slimline Bumper from Southernstyle Offroad. I keep telling myself but trying to get a suspension for my next purchase. Leaning towards Dobinsons quick ride so I can do the rear down the line.

View attachment 141074View attachment 141075
It's cool. Do you work in a bumper factory ? They could do a better job of fitment if they stayed with the grill angle line.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Rims, went with OEM spare steelies, now tires...hate tire shopping...too many choices
It's awfully easy to buy the wrong tire, especially if your rig is your DD. How aggressive is a hard choice. Some really good tires and buy's from Patagonia tires. There is a thread on tires here in the forum with many suggestions from experienced road warriers.

Reactions: MeHere!