What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Moi winch mount center bumper just came in.
View attachment 140816View attachment 140817
Nice, looks like an easy install or am I wrong. Will you be able to mount a light bar on it or do lights attach to this bumper directly ? I just had a new winch bumper installed my LRD2. Took the guy 1.5 hours to remove the original bumper and 5 minutes to install the new one. It was a big improvement with an additional 12" of egress clearance.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Nice, looks like an easy install or am I wrong. Will you be able to mount a light bar on it or do lights attach to this bumper directly ? I just had a new winch bumper installed my LRD2. Took the guy 1.5 hours to remove the original bumper and 5 minutes to install the new one. It was a big improvement with an additional 12" of egress clearance.
Other than having to remove the bumper facia and a few other things it pretty straight forward 8 bolts hold it on , its not a whole bumper just a center section that replaces the plastic factory center skid plate and has a semi hidden winch mount. Im guessing with the bumper, the 2 skidplates, headlight bezels and grill ill be putting on it will probably take around 3hrs.
Then ive got rock sliders to weld up, paint and install. And a rear differential skid plate for my dana 44 on the way.

Lextal

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Dayton, OH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Tais
Member #

Nice kit... quick question... I see a block and tackle there, does this mean you have a winch as well? Or is the winch in your future upgrades?
Yup got the winch, 2” body, 2” suspension, coil over in the front , AAL in the rear, switch and nipple for on board air, no pump, Smittly built front and rear bumpers, spare relocate, and rock sliders. I was going to build but took a chance with a rig Mod’ed about 7-8 years ago for less than cost of the parts

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yup got the winch, 2” body, 2” suspension, coil over in the front , AAL in the rear, switch and nipple for on board air, no pump, Smittly built front and rear bumpers, spare relocate, and rock sliders. I was going to build but took a chance with a rig Mod’ed about 7-8 years ago for less than cost of the parts
Nice sounding kit

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Other than having to remove the bumper facia and a few other things it pretty straight forward 8 bolts hold it on , its not a whole bumper just a center section that replaces the plastic factory center skid plate and has a semi hidden winch mount. Im guessing with the bumper, the 2 skidplates, headlight bezels and grill ill be putting on it will probably take around 3hrs.
Then ive got rock sliders to weld up, paint and install. And a rear differential skid plate for my dana 44 on the way.
That's a of doing going on. Is this a new truck build up for you ? Did you have other rig before this truck ? From what you said in other post it sounds like your gonna put'er to the test pretty good. Would you really go rock crawling with such a nice rig that I'm sure is your DD ?

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Out of all my Overlanding rigs I have ever owned, only 2 were purchased for this purpose entirely... the others were purchased to fulfill my DD needs, and adapted to fit my Overlanding needs at the time.
This is exactly my thinking. I can't afford dedicated rigs, so I have one that does everything.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Next is going to have to be this. Found out yesterday that my blower motor resistor went bad. Only Off and Full Blast settings work now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
A cb, and a Garmin Inreach.
I have a 40 channel dash mount CB and Exterior antenna that my deceased son gave me about 20 years ago. All brand new and never installed. I also have two 40 channel matching handheld CB's w/ 6' long collapsible antenna that are 30+ years old that work very good and practically unused. I have a GPS and a scanner. I pull them all out occasionally (like today) and give them a try. I get nothing on the air from where I am here in the mountains. Even the multi channel scanner picks up nothing any more. I don't think people here use that sort of communication any more or I would here some chatter. Should I put it all in a museum and start over again ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Next is going to have to be this. Found out yesterday that my blower motor resistor went bad. Only Off and Full Blast settings work now.

I need one of those as well... I think I need to rebuild the whole cooling system along with the heater box in my Bronco. Nothing works as it should

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I need one of those as well... I think I need to rebuild the whole cooling system along with the heater box in my Bronco. Nothing works as it should
For the 1st gen Collies, it's a grounding issue. After the repair, gonna take care of that to prevent further outbreaks.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That's a of doing going on. Is this a new truck build up for you ? Did you have other rig before this truck ? From what you said in other post it sounds like your gonna put'er to the test pretty good. Would you really go rock crawling with such a nice rig that I'm sure is your DD ?
Ive had all kinds of stuff. first car 1979 camaro, rx7 turbo, nissan pathfinder, hond accord and a civic dodge ram 1500, dodge durango ,pontiac sunfire beater, saab 9000cd turbo, ive been through a few ford rangers, 1 s10, a mazda 3 sport, and the colorado.

Im absolutely using it hard, heck i have been since day 1. Im just getting the things i think it should have come with from the factory. Ive already rock crawled with it a few times and have dents and gashes which is why its getting armored up.

My wife daily drives it to the city, i drive a ranger unless i think i need the diesel so safety is another consideration, being the city in a parking lot if someone bumps into our truck its their vehicle that pays the price

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a 40 channel dash mount CB and Exterior antenna that my deceased son gave me about 20 years ago. All brand new and never installed. I also have two 40 channel matching handheld CB's w/ 6' long collapsible antenna that are 30+ years old that work very good and practically unused. I have a GPS and a scanner. I pull them all out occasionally (like today) and give them a try. I get nothing on the air from where I am here in the mountains. Even the multi channel scanner picks up nothing any more. I don't think people here use that sort of communication any more or I would here some chatter. Should I put it all in a museum and start over again ?
You have it, use it... only cost is the wire and fuses... yes CB is going away, but it’s not dead... here in my area, the CB is better served as a warning device on FS Roads where logging is going on. I have 3 dash mounted CBs, one of which is going in my rig, the other two are going to be given to a couple of members here on the forums.

Jim, besides your trip this year, I don’t know what your goals are for years to come. I would hate for you to spend money getting into GRMS or Ham, and only need it for this one trip. But if it were me, and I was making one huge trip, for the price I would look into Ham. The license is cheaper than GRMS, and you can find cheap Chinese radios that will work fine for your needs. Talk to @Prerunner1982 for more advice on coms... he has really been helping me out.

Use your old Hand Held CB with an external mag mount Antenna on your way out west, and bring your mobile CB with you, and when you get out here you and I will discuss mounting the mobile rig if you feel like it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For the 1st gen Collies, it's a grounding issue. After the repair, gonna take care of that to prevent further outbreaks.
It’s more than a ground issue... ground only controls the motor. The vacuum actuators and check valves aren’t working. The heater core is plugged, and the whole system is just a mess... My Bronco was owned by some Drug Users and it shows everywhere. Broken out windows from losing the key, to missing horn and cruise control buttons, to wheel bearings being installed backwards... yes backwards. I got a smoking deal on this old girl though, and I knew it was going to be a project to get her back on the road.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
It’s more than a ground issue... ground only controls the motor. The vacuum actuators and check valves aren’t working. The heater core is plugged, and the whole system is just a mess... My Bronco was owned by some Drug Users and it shows everywhere. Broken out windows from losing the key, to missing horn and cruise control buttons, to wheel bearings being installed backwards... yes backwards. I got a smoking deal on this old girl though, and I knew it was going to be a project to get her back on the road.
Sounds like you need to take off and nuke the entire thing from orbit. :wink:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is exactly my thinking. I can't afford dedicated rigs, so I have one that does everything.
The rig I am building now will be dedicated but not for severe off roading. The reason it is dedicated (for OB uses) is because everything is so expensive I don't want to wear it all out doing DD duties. Off road tires are not meant to be used on Interstates, the rubber compound is softer and wears faster, and a lot more expensive than street tires or lite duty a/t tires. In some way or another each of my 4 vehicles has a dedicated assignment.

I have a truck (1967 3/4 ton International) that is used for hauling garbage to the dump, nothing else.
I have an older 1984 4x4 Dodge Ram 250 pickup that I use for hauling things that my DD will not haul and use it for local off road use in the boonies. 10 mpg does not lend itself to being my OB rig.
Finally I have a 2008 Ford Escape 4x4 (the tag says) that is full time 4x4 without a low range transfer case. That is my DD and sometime light duty (maintained dirt roads) rig for going fishing, hunting, and pulling my Scamp over to the lake 60 miles away for a few days of leisure but not in last 20 years and not with this rig. I had another road car that I used 20 years ago . I lost it 6 years ago when I got T boned on a trip.

I guess I'm spoiled but that's the way I have been with cars for as long as 1962 when I finally was able to have a family car and a pickup or Bronco for my uses.
The biggest atvantage to multiple cars is that you dont put a lot of miles on any of them, so they last you a long long time. I get attached to them like my dogs.
One of these days I will lose my old Internation. She is on her second moter, new 25 years ago and now has 25,000 miles. The rest of the truck had 325,000 miles when I put the new motor in 25 years ago.