What is the best piece of advice you can give a new overlander?

• HTML tutorial

Ouroverlandtrips

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fresno, Fresno County, California, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Macias
Member #

So regarding your husband doing most the driving I get it , My wife sits shot gun majority of the time , But things happen ,What if your out on the mountain and your husband gets hurt ? You need to be able to get him out of there and get him help . I make sure my wife gets behind the wheel and is comfortable doing everything I can do behind that wheel . She also knows all the equipment from tent set up , switches for lights and air & were currently working on her learning the rigging for the wench .

Reactions: K12

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Inventor I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Go ahead and cut one open.

If it has an actual 10 plies it's an ancient carcass. It likely only has 2.

It's just slang. Like the morons that call an F250, a 3/4 ton truck still. My F250 has almost a 2 ton cargo capacity. (3650#).

The massive hole in my At2's revealed less than 10 plies. Poor tires for overlanding. GY Duratracs were another.

E rated Cooper Stt's only have 3. And those plies are twice as thick as a Firestone At2.
Why all the hate Clark? I stand by my comment.
Zim
ASE badge.JPG

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Youre fired. Lol.

It's slang. BS that we haven't used since bias ply tires. We have weight ratings. E and 3650# for example.

Nobody puts 10 plies in anything. There is no such thing. Last semitruck tire I replaced had 1 ply. One single continuous ply.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
One of the best pieces of advise I can give s bring a small metal tin of dry crappy coffee and a good lighter to keep bugs away.

You light the coffee to smolder and smoke which keeps mosquitoes and gnats away when sitting around at the end of the day.

A second one is invest in your camp seating. Get something you are comfy in for after your day on the trail.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Do not wrapped up on buy all the expensive stuff. Walmart has everything you need.
I second this...I've mentioned it a few times, but a simple tarp tied from truck to trees is as good as any batwing awning. Not as fancy or easy to set up, but just as useful. That or a pop-up 10x10 instant canopy for $50 at Dicks

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Simple (updated lol)

how about, Invest in good gear (expensive doesn't always mean good), invest in knowledge (tread lightly, mapping/navigation, first aid\safety, recovery) and find a group of like minded folks (or go solo if that's your speed) and then GO! lol.

you'll learn what you need vs want on the way. don't let the FOMO of a new farkle (mod) make you ACTUALLY miss out on a trip.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
Simple

don't let the FOMO of a new farkle (mod) make you ACTUALLY miss out on a trip.
This^

My first trip ever was me in my little 2 door Jeep JK hauling a 4x8 trailer that we literally pitched a tarp over and slept in the bed of for 3 nights. During the day the trailer was loaded with 95% of our gear in totes. There was no glamor or pomp. That trip is still my most memorable trip and likely the reason I still love doing this.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Ebbs Sadly, I can't agree with that much simplicity. Many do simply go, without bringing common sense, or food, or water, or checking to make sure their vehicles are in half-decent condition before the trip. Some don't come back.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
@Ebbs Sadly, I can't agree with that much simplicity. Many do simply go, without bringing common sense, or food, or water, or checking to make sure their vehicles are in half-decent condition before the trip. Some don't come back.
That's a fair point.
the problem is, there's not a great place to send folks where they'll get good info without all the "you must have xyz" to really have fun. Hell I even find myself influencing that unintentionally... I like gadgets, and I like to make my wife comfortable (so she comes out more), and so even looking at my setup it's not the most accessible goal. (not saying it's extravagant, but I've done things like gut my GX of all but the front two seats for example)

how about, Invest in good gear (expensive doesn't always mean good), invest in knowledge (tread lightly, mapping/navigation, first aid\safety, recovery) and find a group of like minded folks (or go solo if that's your speed) and then GO! lol.

Reactions: DintDobbs

Enthusiast III

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
this is great advice.

The biggest issues i have seen with others is being unprepared for the basics.
Not all areas have Phone reception
Having basic tools and the knowledge in how to use them (Change a tire?)
Having basic Firstaid and the kit to support

The first few times anyone goes I always suggest having someone with them who has a bit more knowledge. This is why the military uses the "buddy system" even with new recruits. Between two people usually you can figure out the solution .

Reactions: DintDobbs and Ebbs

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
What is the best piece of advice you can give a new overlander?

clear your browser history on your home computer before leaving on any long trips.

you never know...