What is the best piece of advice you can give a new overlander?

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
We are trying to understand the trail ratings and watching as many YouTube videos in the area.
Trail ratings are subjective. Stay with the lower ratings until you get some experience. Gear wise...just wait, you will end up like the rest of us with a bunch of stuff you thought you needed but didn't.
If you ever come down to my neck of the woods, I run around in the Mojave quite a bit once it cools off again.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

Folsom, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

We are trying to understand the trail ratings and watching as many YouTube videos in the area.
Trail ratings are subjective. Stay with the lower ratings until you get some experience. Gear wise...just wait, you will end up like the rest of us with a bunch of stuff you thought you needed but didn't.
If you ever come down to my neck of the woods, I run around in the Mojave quite a bit once it cools off again.
I already have stuff I thought I would use. We did a lot of car camping prior to getting our FJ Cruiser.

Mohave is in our list and it would be great to go with someone who really know it. But nothing too crazy for sure. That area and Highway 395. When we head down that way I will reach out.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Don't waste your money. Be honest about what you plan on being capable of tackling and repurpose gear you already own. In the end, you'll just be camping...either in a campground or at the end of a challenging trail. Keeping the camping gear as minimal as possible will result in a comfortably packed vehicle and much less weight for it to schlep around. It's not an expedition to the moon. The exception, a multi-year trip can require a different vehicle set-up than a weekender but even then we've met people with stock rigs and basic Walmart kit having the time of their lives. That being said, there are basic pieces of gear that usually aren't in daily drivers such as a shovel and snatch/tow strap. While all of the electronics are alluring, they aren't necessary. Long before all of the tech we have today people were going deep into nature to get way from it all. Something as simple as letting a neighbor know where you are going and when you plan on returning is enough to get a search party dispatched (assuming you and your neighbor are on good terms). We have always stuck to the rule of never drive something you can't or won't walk. Back in the day when something went wrong in the backwoods we walked out to get help so always have a good pair of boots.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

“Overlanding” is a broad term. IMO, it doesn’t have to include hardcore off-road travel, buying a plethora of expensive gadgets or a specific image. For me, it’s exploration, learning, fun and seeing the world at ground level.
My advice? Slow down. Find what interests YOU and do THAT. Don’t allow anyone to tell you you’re doing it wrong, that you aren’t a “real” overlander. In the last 2 weeks, I’ve driven more than 3000 miles, hiked 55 miles/11K feet, seen bears/moose/elk, bumped down a few rough roads, and visited many historical sites and museums, with plenty more to come. My trip, my style. You do you and have fun. Screw the haters and gatekeepers.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The most important three things, ( says the guy who is extraordinarily outfitted ) is a good, no, an excellent 3 season tent , really good sleeping bags, and a really good cot. Once you get that sorted out, everything else will fall into place as your wants/needs progress. We wasted a lot of time & money over the decades cutting corners on these three basic things, which led to collapsed tents, cold wet nights and air mattresses that failed. Finally, about 13 years ago, these three things became our prioities and overlanding is now a joy, without, literally loosing sleep.

Reactions: Stormcrow

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

The most important three things, ( says the guy who is extraordinarily outfitted ) is a good, no, an excellent 3 season tent , really good sleeping bags, and a really good cot. Once you get that sorted out, everything else will fall into place as your wants/needs progress. We wasted a lot of time & money over the decades cutting corners on these three basic things, which led to collapsed tents, cold wet nights and air mattresses that failed. Finally, about 13 years ago, these three things became our prioities and overlanding is now a joy, without, literally loosing sleep.
That is great advice. Good sleep is important when driving all day too. We have the cots and sleeping bags down. I am working on the tent part though. We have a tent we like, but it is not 3 season and we don’t yet know how it will hold up in the rain.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

“Overlanding” is a broad term. IMO, it doesn’t have to include hardcore off-road travel, buying a plethora of expensive gadgets or a specific image. For me, it’s exploration, learning, fun and seeing the world at ground level.
My advice? Slow down. Find what interests YOU and do THAT. Don’t allow anyone to tell you you’re doing it wrong, that you aren’t a “real” overlander. In the last 2 weeks, I’ve driven more than 3000 miles, hiked 55 miles/11K feet, seen bears/moose/elk, bumped down a few rough roads, and visited many historical sites and museums, with plenty more to come. My trip, my style. You do you and have fun. Screw the haters and gatekeepers.
That makes a lot of sense. We are getting more comfortable and are looking to take some trips on our own so that we can move at our own pace.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

Don't waste your money. Be honest about what you plan on being capable of tackling and repurpose gear you already own. In the end, you'll just be camping...either in a campground or at the end of a challenging trail. Keeping the camping gear as minimal as possible will result in a comfortably packed vehicle and much less weight for it to schlep around. It's not an expedition to the moon. The exception, a multi-year trip can require a different vehicle set-up than a weekender but even then we've met people with stock rigs and basic Walmart kit having the time of their lives. That being said, there are basic pieces of gear that usually aren't in daily drivers such as a shovel and snatch/tow strap. While all of the electronics are alluring, they aren't necessary. Long before all of the tech we have today people were going deep into nature to get way from it all. Something as simple as letting a neighbor know where you are going and when you plan on returning is enough to get a search party dispatched (assuming you and your neighbor are on good terms). We have always stuck to the rule of never drive something you can't or won't walk. Back in the day when something went wrong in the backwoods we walked out to get help so always have a good pair of boots.
Thanks, l like that. Keep it simple.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
No kidding.
I lead a trip out there once or twice a year. One is usually after Thanksgiving. The only time I hit 4wd is if we detour to a soft sand area. This is also with me pulling a small off road trailer.

You commented about having to break camp quickly with some of the groups you went out with. If I have to cover a long distance, I add time to the trip. I normally like to be moving around 9 (ish) and make camp at least two hours before dusk. I also keep a mild pace. I go out to site see and relax.

We have a couple of rigs in our group that take quite a while to set up and tear down. No one is ever rushed. This is why you have alternative camp areas.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
The best piece of advice I'd give to a new overlander has been touched upon here; learn the limits of your vehicle and learn the limits of your driving skills.

Many default to thinking of off-road driving on this subject, but this applies to every situation. Can you brake or steer in time to avoid a blind merge without your cargo flying into a passenger's head? Can you see well enough at night to tell where the moose is before you swerve to avoid the bear? Are you alert enough to safely pull off the road when an emergency vehicle needs to pass? Do you know how to handle a skid?

Carrying a full-size, matching spare tire should be required by law. Manufacturers should include them as standard equipment. A jack and tire iron should also be mandatory.

Know what you have, and learn to use it well. This is how you earn victory in any endeavor.

Last edited:

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
First, get rock sliders, great tires, roof or ground tent, camping supplies, shower and enclosure, recovery gear including a winch, fuel and water cans, off-road apps and maps. Of course spend $110k on a Jeep Gladiator,
I'm figuring it was a joke, but the reverse of what he said.
Your overlanding setup should be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Get out there and figure out what you're really missing.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Asking great questions of a knowledgeable community is a great start. Although most of our travel is solo I would suggest seeking out groups, clubs, other likeminded folks (this is a great source) and join some trips to see what others do and have learned from experience.

Reactions: DintDobbs

noslavetoworld

Rank II

Contributor II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Joyce
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Go slow, remember why you’re out there in the first place, grow your gear as you grow with experience, and of course be safe/have fun!

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Overlanding in America’s dirty little secret is that it is really just camping by vehicle. So just go out there and camp like you have been doing.

There are two main components to your camping; gear and vehicle.

On the gear side if you feel you want to be more comfortable than you currently are then look for solutions to the things you want improvement in. You will also notice there is stuff you bring that really isn’t of much use and you may want to eliminate those. It’s really a trial and error thing over time where you find out what best works for you.

On the vehicle side you can divide your needs into two basic categories. What is needed to carry everyone and the gear identified above and then what vehicle modifications or choices should you make to get you where you want to go. I have a modified Jeep that isn’t the best for carrying lots of gear and people but it is great for getting to much anyplace I want to go. The stock 4WD pickup truck I had prior to that carried a lot more gear and still went to 95% of the places that I have taken my Jeep so there is something to be said for just having a good basic 4WD vehicle with decent clearance and a good set of all terrain tires. Prior to having that truck I had a VW sports sedan which we used to camp at pretty much all of the national parks west of the Rockies. After a while I wanted to go on trails beyond the graded dirt roads so then I got the truck.

At the end of the day it’s just camping and how comfortable you want to be and where you want to go.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
What they said. And good duct tape. I like Gorilla tape. Saved my bacon a time or two. There are several kinds that I have. One is waterproof and handy for patching leaks not under pressure.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

This has been our first year Overlanding. We have been on several trips this summer and learn something new every time. What are some things you have learned and continue to incorporate in your overlanding adventures?
It is a mindset, not an equipment race.

@ Renegade - Best advice ever given on this topic!!!

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
To get the most out of overlanding, spec out your gear for backpacking and kayaking.

The best campsite is always going to be a mile+ from your parking spot. (Biggest negative of rtt's, so keep a ground tent handy)

My load out is a 55g Stanley tote for each person. And a couple coolers. The totes are stackable in my trucks bed. Everybody (smart) packs all their gear in a small backpack. We can grab it and go.

All of our gear is Gossemer Gear, Thermarest, Marmot, MSR etc. My base weight pack (no water or food) is less than 10 pounds, for months of backpacking. There is no reason for anyone to need more than 50# of gear per person including water and food.

There's no shame in renting a cabin. You don't have to rough it out, every night. And hauling a camper, when all you need is a fair weather tent, royally sucks.

Use a tent that has a rain fly that reaches the ground. Avoid tents with short rain flys and tall bathtubs. Consider one tent per person. I tossed, coughed, cramped, and scratched, all night, last night. Didn't wake a soul in another tent.

You're fat. Don't bother with the overlandy kitchen nonsense when you're already carrying a months food supply around under your skin. There's a restaraunt on every day of our travels in the US. Even kayaking down a river for a weekend, we spotted and smelled a diner from the rivers edge and stopped. Food ain't the issue everyone thinks it is.

If you go where there is water, carry a 2l hydration baggy and a filter. Not much weight.

Sleeping bags are obsolete. Use a down quilt instead. You might have an inflatable pillow in your pack, but keep a fullsize home pillow in your vehicle for near truck campsites. There's no shame in extra bedding as well. Car camping allows such.

Avoid overlandy bling. They don't even use it in Africa or Australia, any father than the magazine cameras can see. Snorkels, roof racks, and swing out tire carriers, just empty your wallet and make your ride heavier. I can make a case for winch bumpers, but a Hilift jack winches just fine.

Avoid shower tents and bathroom tents. Just moldy stinky dirty messes. Use the forest for bathroom. Use the darkness of night for showering. I just hang a shower bag in a tree. Use a bathing suit if you're shy.

Potassium in a multivitamin. Salt is good, not evil.

Mint attracts bears. Put it on someone else's tent. Use bear spray before a gun. The spray IS more effective. And you can use it without hesitation, because it won't kill. Bear cans are a deterent, not a solution. Don't sleep in midwest forests alone. It ain't happy good fun time, like Florida forests or the AT.

Burros and donkeys are good luck. Be nice to them.

Tires are always a trade off. Puncture resistant MT's are going to lose grip in snow due to stiff sidewalls. Flimsy MT's with fragile sidewalls will grip better, but fail too often. You can drive accordingly with each, and get by fine. Cooper RT's and Kenda RT's are goldilocks tires made specifically for us. Check them out.

Weight is the enemy.

If a fullsize fits, it's the best option.

Lockers are absolutely priceless. Even if you never, ever, wheel hard. I won't overland without at least one locker, ever again.

Last edited: