Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
When out on the road, I normally use my weather app if I have service, but today I really wonder if there could be something better?
I live in SW Colorado at around 7500ft and we are expecting a winter storm starting Thursday. I was looking at the Weather Channel app to see what we could expect in snow, then I checked Weatherchannel.com and because I can, I check the Weather Underground.com and all three have different forecast for expected snow fall.
The biggest difference is from the two Weather Channel group, the app & .com, here what I added up as the max amount forecasted from Thursday to Sunday night.
Weather Channel.com = 12”
Weather Channel App = 33”
Weather Underground = 21”

I don’t get how The Weather Channel.com & App can be so different, do you use something different?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce.......fellow Colorado resident.......you are still trying to predict the weather around here? :wink:

I'm interested to see what folks recommend as well, I don't have any suggestion that is any better than what you are currently doing, LOL.

For computer access and best accuracy I like to look here....https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Grand+Junction&state=CO&site=GJT&textField1=39.0873&textField2=-108.553&e=0

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce.......fellow Colorado resident.......you are still trying to predict the weather around here? :wink:

I'm interested to see what folks recommend as well, I don't have any suggestion that is any better than what you are currently doing, LOL.
I lived in Colorado for a few years and now in Idaho... in neither has anyone been able to "predict" snow fall with any semblance of accuracy. I will usually look at multiple different sights and go off what the average of them is. It usually still ends up off in either direction.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

The only source of weather I have found to be accurate is Radarscope. When the green gets to me, it starts to rain. It has way faster radar updates than other weather apps. For prediction, nothing seems accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: SJ.Overland

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I too use MY RADAR, and like it a lot. It's good for knowing what is coming at you and how quickly....it is not so good at a multi day into the future forecasting.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Since living here in Pennsylvania the past 37 and 1/2 years I've come to understand that when folks say they are calling for a particular weather event, there really is a man up on the mountainside calling out the weather and warning us of what is to come.

Seriously,, any precipitation amounts can be and usually are predicted with a bit of accuracy. The weather channel might say 14" of snow, the TV station 50 miles west of us might say 6". Hey, that close enough for me, because that means we're getting 8-10. I do know, if I'm up in the hills I do have an uncanny ability to sense that snow or rain is on the way. If it's snow, I'm headed down, because it could be anywhere between 14 and 6 inches.

D

danbrown

When I lived in New England, I moved to VA 10 years ago, we had a saying. “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”. I’ve never been to a part of the country where weather forecasting has been so wrong! To think people are getting paid to roll the weather dice is amazing!!

These days I use the weather app that is part of iOS. For the most part it’s pretty accurate.

Reactions: Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
When I lived in New England, I moved to VA 10 years ago, we had a saying. “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”. I’ve never been to a part of the country where weather forecasting has been so wrong! To think people are getting paid to roll the weather dice is amazing!!
No kidding.

Where else can someone get paid for such poor performance?

I think the only reason they get away with it is because so few people actually spend any time outdoors. The weather conditions between their door and their car don't make that much of a difference in their world. Those who are outdoors full time have a different perspective.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
That is why I use My Radar. I can at least see in real time what is coming and how it is progressing. The old school forecasters learned the idiosyncrasies of a specific area and did their homework. Things were more accurate 40 years ago than today.

Reactions: Tundracamper

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force

For computer access and best accuracy I like to look here....https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Grand+Junction&state=CO&site=GJT&textField1=39.0873&textField2=-108.553&e=0
not trying to predict the weather, just thought is was really funny how far off each of these where from each other and wonder what others used.

went and got the tire chains today, just encase we get a lot

Reactions: zgfiredude

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Various weather channels to get an average. Supposedly, Its going to rain hard here starting last Monday, still waiting.
If I need accuracy, I use my Weather Rock. At least its spot on.
  • If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is difficult to see, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
  • If the rock can be felt but not seen, it is night time.

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
In a statistics class in New Zealand, which has very changeable weather, the question was asked how good does a forecast have to be? Is 70% right good enough? Because if you said the weather will be the same tomorrow as it is today we could have 70% accuracy and call it done. Here in Oakland CA that forecast is probably 99% correct.