Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Is anyone aware of a weather radar app (not a forecaster) that can be used via satellite?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

NWS Now app for forecast and RadarScope for radar.
If cell service is not available, I attempt to use WXBot on APRS.
With a HF ham radio you can also do Weather Fax to get charts and satellite images.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
That's cool. I'm only just now getting into VHF/UHF so I was aware of WXBot, but not of the Weather Fax. Obviously I don't have an HF setup as I'm not a general yet, but might be something I pursue after a bit.

Currently I use the following the most, I may pull from other sources but these are the constants.
For when in reach of Cell Data:
  • MyRadar (for immediate forecast and radar)
  • DarkSky (For immediate alerts)
  • WeatherUnderground (Longer Forecasts and Local Station Data)
  • AccuWeather (General Forecasts)
Then for off grid I'll use my inReach when needed, but now that I'm about to install my mobile unit into my truck I'll use WXBot more.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Any unobstructed view of the outside (a.k.a. any type of window).

Where we live, the adage of "If You Don't Like The Weather, Wait A Minute" really holds truth..... :sunglasses:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

That's cool. I'm only just now getting into VHF/UHF so I was aware of WXBot, but not of the Weather Fax. Obviously I don't have an HF setup as I'm not a general yet, but might be something I pursue after a bit.
Then for off grid I'll use my inReach when needed, but now that I'm about to install my mobile unit into my truck I'll use WXBot more.
Here is a SMS/Email via APRS write up I did that I included a post about WXbot if you are interested.
OB Approved - SMS Text and Email via APRS | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Reactions: SJ.Overland

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I asked this question on another forum after a month long trip into the CO and UT backcountry last fall.
One of the more common apps used by others is the Dark Sky weather app. It cost a couple of bucks but it is much more accurate than the weather channel AND it doesn’t have any annoying adds. Highly reccomend!

OTOH here is a simple measuring device for weather if you want to carry it around!
B69D883B-8B00-4363-BD8D-C1354B5D3B82.jpeg

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I asked this question on another forum after a month long trip into the CO and UT backcountry last fall.
One of the more common apps used by others is the Dark Sky weather app. It cost a couple of bucks but it is much more accurate than the weather channel AND it doesn’t have any annoying adds. Highly reccomend!

OTOH here is a simple measuring device for weather if you want to carry it around!
View attachment 218893
Hahah love it. Also I too like Dark Sky, although I think it may only be on iPhone now since Apple acquired the company in early 2020. Just something worth mentioning if those on Android are looking for it.

Reactions: smlobx

Tom Cole

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Weatherford, Texas, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cole
Member #

I have long depended on the weather rock. :)

Kidding aside, the man with two watches doesn't know what time it is. I suggest you pick one and go with it. The weather will always do what it wants to do regardless of what us humans trying to tell it to do.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I use either Dark Sky or Weather Bug apps. Like any their predictions can be off but both have radar that is nice to be able to look at.

eod5b

Rank II
Investor

Contributor III

Maryland, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

Windy is a great app.
Windy is a great app. You have to spend some time learning how to use it as there is a ton of information. I learned of it from a group of firefighters that us the app.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Windy is a great app. You have to spend some time learning how to use it as there is a ton of information. I learned of it from a group of firefighters that us the app.
I like the look of that.. I'm gonna check it out.