Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

As we continue to camp and overland we find ourselves always tweaking the setup we have. I think this is pretty normal but also never ending. One thing that we have had a great issue with is camp light. Finding something both affordable but also not over the top was a goal. Not only are we on a budget but space and usage constraints of our rig makes tweaking a little difficult. We have tried camp lanterns, which do work but take up space and do not work with our current setup. We also tried headlamps, these were the most successful out of the bunch but burning through batteries and having a lamp stuck to your head isn't always pleasant. Finally, I tried some of those stick on lights from Walmart. They lasted a day. Enter the lift gate light from Brawlee. So far, this seems to be the light we were looking for on our adventures. What do you use for camp light when you need to cook or dig in the back of your rig? Check out the review and install.

Reactions: GITINOVRLND EXPLRR

BagiMT

Rank I

Enthusiast I

US
Luci solar string lights, best lights we ever got. Turn any camping spot into a cozy place. Complement with headlamps. Charge by solar or USB.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I shop by price for lighting. I look for 3 LED Headlamps for $10. I shop sales, clearance aisles only. In the kitchen, I have 3 for $5 LEDS. In the sleeping box. 2 LEDS lights with a dommer, $10 for the pair. They all take AA or AAA batteries and they are all at least 3 seasons old and still on the original batteries. ..... which came with them. I kinda like the idea of mood, christmas style lights.if I find that string of Japanese Lanterns for $20...... I'll definitely buy 2 strings.

For work I have a better quality, more comfortable $20 Mountaineering Headlamp but for the campsite..... the cheapest ones are perfect.

Pictures to follow.

Mt favourite lighting tends to be dim, bright enough so I won't trip, but dim enough to not blind me so I can see into the night, past the light. I love the dim red lighting on a military ships bridge.

Last edited:

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
UCO candle lanterns, a Dietz oil lantern, and a led head lamp for task lighting are my main sources of light. I also carry a Streamlight Protac HL 3 in a belt holster incase I need long range or super bright lighting.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Luci solar string lights, best lights we ever got. Turn any camping spot into a cozy place. Complement with headlamps. Charge by solar or USB.

Luci lights are 50% off right now with free shipping over $50

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

2x Black Diamond Moji and our headlamps but I will be adding some lights to the truck at some point. The BD lights are super light and compact and put out plenty of light. Picked up one for $5 on a gamble at an REI garage sale that turned out to be the color version so red light in camp at night is a huge plus.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

So question for you Coleman fans... why? Lighting is one of those things that has shown massive improvement in the past 10 years that I can't understand why anyone would want to carry something so unwieldy.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
So question for you Coleman fans... why? Lighting is one of those things that has shown massive improvement in the past 10 years that I can't understand why anyone would want to carry something so unwieldy.
Nostalgia and to reminisce. The smell of white gas. priming the tank till the vent hole leaves an indent in your thumb. Watching the new filament burn and wondering how it still holds together. The hiss of the pressurized gas. The illuminus glow it gives off that no LED can replicate.
05B15FA4-4E82-4BD4-BB53-B38266F26A43.jpeg

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Nostalgia and to reminisce. The smell of white gas. priming the tank till the vent hole leaves an indent in your thumb. Watching the new filament burn and wondering how it still holds together. The hiss of the pressurized gas. The illuminus glow it gives off that no LED can replicate.
View attachment 178464
Ok I definitely get the nostalgia feeling... i just never bothered to replace mine because functionally, it was a huge pain the ass compared to even the worst LED lanterns.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Ok I definitely get the nostalgia feeling... i just never bothered to replace mine because functionally, it was a huge pain the ass compared to even the worst LED lanterns.
I get the nostalgia feeling as well. However, they are unwieldy and take a lot of space compared to modern solutions. One thing though, I bet those Coleman lanterns will outlast today's offerings. I keep one in storage for emergencies, but I do not take it on trips anymore. Headlamps or this new setup work better for us.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

LED strip lighting is inexpensive, easy to use and fully configurable. All of mine are on individual switches and dimmers. Three are mounted on the windows, so when you open it up it lights the perimeter around the truck, and you can shut off any or all as needed.
Nice setup. Seems we had a similar idea. I really like the amount of light your setup throws.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Mostly I am cheap and I have 3 generations of them. 2 are white gas and over 60 years old in a box my grandfather built, one is my fathers and in his box, lastly two are propane. and 20 plus. I have lights too.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I just treated myself to a Goal Zero Lighthouse Core. Looking forward to trying it. As much as I like the nostalgia of fueled light, I’m trying to reduce the amount of different fuel types I have to carry. I suspect if I charge this LED lantern as I drive during the day, it will never run out.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I just treated myself to a Goal Zero Lighthouse Core. Looking forward to trying it. As much as I like the nostalgia of fueled light, I’m trying to reduce the amount of different fuel types I have to carry. I suspect if I charge this LED lantern as I drive during the day, it will never run out.
This is one of the best arguments for not carrying fueled light. We, too, are trying to slim down on carrying different fueled items. Ideally, everything we have would run off gasoline.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Two of the main reasons I do not use LED lights as much as possible is due to two things - they are too bright and they hurt my eyes.

Also, several studies have now come to light showing that LED lights are irreparably damaging the retina in eyes. They also disturb biological and sleep rhythms. The same goes for those in cellphones.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Two of the main reasons I do not use LED lights as much as possible is due to two things - they are too bright and they hurt my eyes.

Also, several studies have now come to light showing that LED lights are irreparably damaging the retina in eyes. They also disturb biological and sleep rhythms. The same goes for those in cellphones.
I would normally agree with you on this. That is the reason I do not run LED headlights. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the light output of the light I installed. Not only is it only 10watts. It can be dimmed down and the light color can be adjusted away from that harsh blue/white led light.