Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

We use an old Coleman white gas stove. The irony is not lost on me that I do not use a Coleman lantern in favor of LEDs but I use a Coleman white gas stove. The size of the stove and the fuel it uses are perfect for us. We do a lot of cold weather and sometimes high altitude exploring. White gas stores neatly in a little bottle for us. I would like to find the Gasoline version of the stove I have or possibly a new version one day. I like to update one piece of gear at a time haha.

COLDCUT

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Oldham
Member #

I agree with BlueLineOverland - The FSR Readylight is an awesome piece of equipment! It lights up the campsite, has detachable mini-lights that I hang in the tent and it can charge my cell-phone. All this and it easily re-charges via solar. Worth every penny in my opinion!

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I carry a few of these LED work lights in my Jeeps all the time for various uses. I built a couple of adjustable stands that I can drop them into when I need light while camping. The vertical parts of the stands are camera monopods from a surplus store and the bases are 10 lb. weight lifting weights my son hasn't used in years. I'll replace them with 5 lb. weights when I can. With a bit of hardware, thread tapping and welding I made them for very little money. They use AA batteries and they seem to last forever. Everything breaks down for storage.

The lights and stands take up very little room. They can sit over your shoulder behind a camp chair for reading at night and can be easily moved around a camp site. The lights have a handle and can be lifted off of the stands if you want to go for a walk or water the plants.

This is the first year I haven't used my Coleman propane lanterns in decades and I'm not sure if I will again.

Husky 1000 Lumen LED Utility Light | The Home Depot Canada

LED Stand.JPG

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I carry a few of these LED work lights in my Jeeps all the time for various uses. I built a couple of adjustable stands that I can drop them into when I need light while camping. The vertical parts of the stands are camera monopods from a surplus store and the bases are 10 lb. weight lifting weights my son hasn't used in years. I'll replace them with 5 lb. weights when I can. With a bit of hardware, thread tapping and welding I made them for very little money. They use AA batteries and they seem to last forever. Everything breaks down for storage.

The lights and stands take up very little room. They can sit over your shoulder behind a camp chair for reading at night and can be easily moved around a camp site. The lights have a handle and can be lifted off of the stands if you want to go for a walk or water the plants.

This is the first year I haven't used my Coleman propane lanterns in decades and I'm not sure if I will again.

That is a pretty nice build. Love the idea to use things lying around to make a better camp setup.

We use a bunch of the Goal Zero crush lights. They have a builtin solar panel to charge during the day or can be charged via usb. They have many modes and colors but our favorite is the flicker mode; it provides a lot of light and resembles torches with the flickering. When done with them they crush into a very flat form factor.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I love these (I have some Milwaukee ones) but they take up way too much space for me to take camping.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I love these (I have some Milwaukee ones) but they take up way too much space for me to take camping.
For me it actually saves space, which wasn't a big problem anyway. I carry the 2 LED lamps in my Jeep anyway and the poles and brackets go into an old kid's camp chair bag. The weights are "weighty" and I can cut that in half with 5 lb. weights but they're small and can go anywhere. I now have 2 lights where before I used 1 Coleman propane lantern (sometimes 2) that I carried in a case that just sat there with no purpose when the lantern was was out. I also carried a few 1 lb. propane cylinders, sometimes more, that I only used for a lantern.

Last edited:

HangLoose4R

Rank III

Contributor II

Georgia, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Lester
For base camp light i have a few Portable Job Lights. They are very bright and charge from usb so that is a plus. I also carry around a NEBO flashlight pretty much all the time.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A roll of USB LED string lights hooked to my solar generator and individual headlamps. I also have a cheap magnetic light I stick to the Jeep. Mostly used for after dark camp setups.

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

I headlamp it and use those Duracell lights from Costco. They work okay and don't take up much space. The power button could be larger but overall I have no real complaints. Left one in a storage unit powered up on accident and came back several days later and it was low on juice but still putting out enough light to work with.