First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Finished my coastal rear bumper build.
I find it very impressive that you and some others on here fab your own bumpers, swing arms, etc.. I wish I had the equipment to do such projects. I work at a fence company and we have a portaband and a welding machine. With all the pipe we have, I feel like I could make a basic bumper …but I have no way of bending the pipe. I could cut, bend a bit, and weld back …just wouldn’t be as clean.

Basically what I’m saying is that I’m jelly.

That bumper looks awesome.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I find it very impressive that you and some others on here fab your own bumpers, swing arms, etc.. I wish I had the equipment to do such projects. I work at a fence company and we have a portaband and a welding machine. With all the pipe we have, I feel like I could make a basic bumper …but I have no way of bending the pipe. I could cut, bend a bit, and weld back …just wouldn’t be as clean.

I don't have any of that, but I wish i did! I'd get into all of that.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

I use basic hand tools but the introduction of the mini saw was a game changer. (eliminated the expensive plasma cutter) The ability to cut 1/8th inch steel with a circular saw is amazing. Add a welder and some clamps and you're done.
Welder from Eastwood-$450
Mini Saw-$118
Standing beside your truck and saying "I built that"- Priceless.
Zim$500

Edit:
The Tubing Bender is the show stopper. I've had 2 "JD Squared" benders when I built race cars. The bender is not that expensive but the dies are crazy. $350-$500 each for the different sizes and bend radius. You can't use the harbor freight pipe bender. Tube is a whole different world.
Z

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I use basic hand tools but the introduction of the mini saw was a game changer. (eliminated the expensive plasma cutter) The ability to cut 1/8th inch steel with a circular saw is amazing. Add a welder and some clamps and you're done.
Welder from Eastwood-$450
Mini Saw-$118
Standing beside your truck and saying "I built that"- Priceless.
Zim$500

Edit:
The Tubing Bender is the show stopper. I've had 2 "JD Squared" benders when I built race cars. The bender is not that expensive but the dies are crazy. $350-$500 each for the different sizes and bend radius. You can't use the harbor freight pipe bender. Tube is a whole different world.
Z
That's how my buddy is doing his canopy camper build. All square tubing, unable to be bent so has to cut and weld.

Reactions: Shahn and JacksonRL

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
That's how my buddy is doing his canopy camper build. All square tubing, unable to be bent so has to cut and weld.
Check out my trailer build and see how you can make your own bender on the cheap. You can use the HF pipe bender, but get a different set of dies the correct size. Only this size is the problem.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Went and got more supplies for the veggie garden. 3rd trip this week. LoL
You'll be glad you have those this fall, I'm afraid...
Totally agree. Also planted a dozen new fruit trees. Plan is to be as self reliant as possible. Now, to figure out how to grow jerky.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Check out my trailer build and see how you can make your own bender on the cheap. You can use the HF pipe bender, but get a different set of dies the correct size. Only this size is the problem.
The biggest problem with the HF bender is radius and kinking. If you watch the video on their site it actually shows the pipe kinked (after he says without kinking LOL). I've bent hundreds of feet of tube, not pipe and it really requires a follower die.
Here's one I helped bend up with a JD Squared. That's my nephew chilling out. LOL.
Zim
johnny.jpg

Reactions: Shahn

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Installed the cradles. Was supposed to do this last weekend but wasn’t able. And idk why the pictures don’t present in the order selected on the app.

Attachments

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
Finished my coastal rear bumper build.

Thanks, it’s worth looking into. You could buy a decent little 110 mig and still be in it for less than a pre built. And any associated tools. Grinder, clamps, welding hood ect

Reactions: Shahn

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Finished up the passenger side. Both sides are secure, and the outer supports are attached. Now to the middle section. Weather is going to be crappy for the next few days, and tomorrow I get my ear cut off...LOL. (some cancer so not sure how much ear)
This project has been rough on me. I've built 13 race cars, a dozen or more grills and smokers, the camper on my sold Toyota, and this thing is kicking my ass. LMAO.
Zim
View attachment 225126
I've found that the older I get, the better I was. :/
-Dan

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Got my RagoFab Rear Window Rack installed. This was a bit of a pain for one person. If anyone does one I'd suggest have someone help hold things as you install.View attachment 225172
I have that same issue. That bumper I'm doing is like holding a lap dog while fixing a watch. Holy awkward. LOL
Zim