Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I walked in front of the rig with a flashlight for the better part of 20 miles in the middle of the night on a dirt road in Big Bend. It was Oct so the weather was perfect for a walk in the park. We got back to base camp around 2 AM. Got up to kayak the river the next day, just epic. The day before we learned about having fix a flat, tire patches and better comms with two flats on the river road. Over all it was about four days of fun and $1.5k of upgrades and tires after. LOL wheel with what you have, so you learn what you need. We had maps, plenty of food, water and humor to spare!
just got out on a dark back road to test and they are pointed way way too far down. Pinging off the hood. Back to the house to adjust

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I just completed my latest electrical upgrade. The 100w cascadia solar charges my main battery. When its full it continues to charge my aux battery with a redarc bcdc charger. Also my spod is set up on my aux battery.
How do you like the solar panel so far?

Reactions: Shahn

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
How do you like the solar panel so far?
The solar panel so far is great. The original intent was not to charge both batteries with it. It was for my primary battery.
After I installed the redarc bcdc I left it on the main battery hoping it would fire up the bcdc and charge the second battery too. It does, so I am very pleased.

The only thing I do not like is the way the cable snakes between the hood crease. It is getting some friction marks in it. It may fail at some time in the future.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

the only thing I do not like is the way the cable snakes between the hood crease. It is getting some friction marks in it. It may fail at some time in the future.
Best to remedy that ASAP. Otherwise, Murphy is going to show up in the worst possible place at the worst possible time to surprise you.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Best to remedy that ASAP. Otherwise, Murphy is going to show up in the worst possible place at the worst possible time to surprise you.
I did shroud it in some loom. Only other thing to do would be drill a hole trough the hood and grommet it.

Reactions: Shahn

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
The solar panel so far is great. The original intent was not to charge both batteries with it. It was for my primary battery.
After I installed the redarc bcdc I left it on the main battery hoping it would fire up the bcdc and charge the second battery too. It does, so I am very pleased.

The only thing I do not like is the way the cable snakes between the hood crease. It is getting some friction marks in it. It may fail at some time in the future.
Ah yes that could be an issue over time. But good to hear both batteries charge! I too have a dual battery setup (mine is just a solenoid bridge, so once the starter battery drops to 12.6v it disconnects from the aux battery. Then it reconnects once higher volatage has been applied for more than 30 seconds.) I've been reading up on these solar panels so I may give them a shot for longer trips.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Picked up another set of 4 wheels last night so I can run a full-size spare. 18" fuel throttle. one of them has some wallowing in the lug holes, but since I only need 1 right now I can deal with that later. $120 for the set of 4, which brings the total for 8 wheels and 8 tires to $440 in total. really need to work out hanging the spare on the back end now...

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Ah yes that could be an issue over time. But good to hear both batteries charge! I too have a dual battery setup (mine is just a solenoid bridge, so once the starter battery drops to 12.6v it disconnects from the aux battery. Then it reconnects once higher volatage has been applied for more than 30 seconds.) I've been reading up on these solar panels so I may give them a shot for longer trips.
I wonder in that configuration would the two sources in parallel (fully charged main, and solar charger) engage the solenoid. This would be the same principal that I am using in my setup. If you put a standard battery charger on your main will the solenoid engage?

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I wonder in that configuration would the two sources in parallel (fully charged main, and solar charger) engage the solenoid. This would be the same principal that I am using in my setup. If you put a standard battery charger on your main will the solenoid engage?
As i understand it (I may be wrong lol). There are a couple ways to do it. I could connect it to the posts that the vehicle connects to. This would charge the starter battery only until the solenoid clicks over, then it would charge the bank entirely. The other way would be to connect it the opposite direction via the power bar that's rigged to run only off the aux battery after the solenoid disconnects. This would only charge the aux battery but again would eventually trip the solenoid to allow flow to the full bank. Then if you wanted to be more specific you can just do either battery directly.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
How that we're in Fall and I'm done with buying soil and mulch and other garden supplies, I've been my bed and gear boxes back in the camper shell.

View attachment 211729
Fall is when I start getting all the garden supplies since the plants stop bursting into flames from the heat when they come up.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Fall is when I start getting all the garden supplies since the plants stop bursting into flames from the heat when they come up.
Yeah this year is the most time that we spent in our backyard so my rig did a lot of work. Putting her back to 'normal' has gotten my motivated to get out there.

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
I finally decided where my yellow LEDs are going to go, and that I’ll connect them to my day time running lights, I think it’ll look great and be functional. Ordering them and it’ll be some work (drilling and cutting) but I’ll be happy I think.

Attachments