Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Ugh…im sorry that really sucks. Rust is always frustrating, especially as you said when it really could have been prevented. What is your plan here?
Plan is to get rid of the sound deadening, clean it up with a special cleaning disk and seal it with anti corrosive primer (corroless) and finish it with a high resistant chassis paint (Brantho corrux)

Advocate III

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Yeah...its more than just rust the car mfg neglect! I don't want to get started down that track, this post would be 5 pages long.
Was changing out the suspension a few years ago and found my floors like thisIMG_4532.jpg604796369.jpg
I ended up cutting them out and replacing both sides, repainting and adding sound deadening with a layer of bed liner over that ... should at least last a few more years in our salt lol.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Was changing out the suspension a few years ago and found my floors like thisView attachment 239697View attachment 239698
I ended up cutting them out and replacing both sides, repainting and adding sound deadening with a layer of bed liner over that ... should at least last a few more years in our salt lol.
Mine would have looked the same if I'd hadn't seen it now...
I could be so easy...
Given the prices of the earlier wranglers in the US I understand it somehow but not really, now the same thing was priced just under 50k here when they sold it in 2012 and it's a sport.
Yes I'm still a bit frustrated but that doesn't help.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Was changing out the suspension a few years ago and found my floors like thisView attachment 239697View attachment 239698
Were you able to save the torque boxes? I had to replace the one on the driver's side on my LJ. Not a fun job. :frowning:

DSC_0269.JPG

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pioneer II

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Added dual colored bed lights… Red is nice when we are camping in the bed of the truck and we don’t wanna blind each other trying to get in and out in the middle of the night to let the dog out… I hear read doesn’t attract bugs either which is a bonus!

Attachments

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Added dual colored bed lights… Red is nice when we are camping in the bed of the truck and we don’t wanna blind each other trying to get in and out in the middle of the night to let the dog out… I hear read doesn’t attract bugs either which is a bonus!
Nice job!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Took the Lincoln Hwy/California trail/I40 road segments thru the Sierras and then zipped over to Downieville via Hwy20, then home via Hwy49....... Great day on trails and old road.

Say a bear cub (momma??) walking on the road (hwy49) so I stopped traffic (3 cars LOL) and let it crawl off and it immediately wanted to climb a tree:

IMG_8461.jpg

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Took the Lincoln Hwy/California trail/I40 road segments thru the Sierras and then zipped over to Downieville via Hwy20, then home via Hwy49....... Great day on trails and old road.

Say a bear cub (momma??) walking on the road (hwy49) so I stopped traffic (3 cars LOL) and let it crawl off and it immediately wanted to climb a tree:

View attachment 240063
Nice!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Been busy and not able to post much. I'm slated to go to Arkansas on a trip Thrus-Sun this week coming up and was going to tow the CJ2A up and use it. Well about a week ago it got jammed in gear and I tore into it to find 2 of the 3 synchro keys missing one end and one of them had backed out and bent at a 30-degree angle. I made the decision to pull the transmission and tear it down for a rebuild, and wound up having to order a lot of parts. The transmission didn't make funny noises and when I was redoing, the CJ2 shifted great, so I didn't overhaul it while I had it out. Don't fix what isn't broken. Yesterday I found out I will not have the parts I need in time, so the CJ2 is no longer going with me to Arkansas.

Gotta love when they use the ol chisel and hammer for no reason.

So now the CJ5 is going, but I've had some oil burning issues. I could find no reason for it to be burning oil, and a compression check showed 140-150 across all cylinders (304). I decided to pull the intake manifold and inspect it. When I pulled the manifold, I found what looks like leaking occurring in the center port (exhaust cross over for the heat riser/EGR?) of the head and what looked like wet intake runners from oil. The passenger side center port had a huge amount of carbon/crud built up around it, to the point it was packed around the #6 intake valve push rod. I spent a lot of time scraping and vacuuming what I could out of this area of the engine and installed a new valley pan with black RTV around the water ports and #3 aviation gasket sealant around the rest. Tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll refill the coolant and see what happens.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Been busy and not able to post much. I'm slated to go to Arkansas on a trip Thrus-Sun this week coming up and was going to tow the CJ2A up and use it. Well about a week ago it got jammed in gear and I tore into it to find 2 of the 3 synchro keys missing one end and one of them had backed out and bent at a 30-degree angle. I made the decision to pull the transmission and tear it down for a rebuild, and wound up having to order a lot of parts. The transmission didn't make funny noises and when I was redoing, the CJ2 shifted great, so I didn't overhaul it while I had it out. Don't fix what isn't broken. Yesterday I found out I will not have the parts I need in time, so the CJ2 is no longer going with me to Arkansas.

Gotta love when they use the ol chisel and hammer for no reason.

So now the CJ5 is going, but I've had some oil burning issues. I could find no reason for it to be burning oil, and a compression check showed 140-150 across all cylinders (304). I decided to pull the intake manifold and inspect it. When I pulled the manifold, I found what looks like leaking occurring in the center port (exhaust cross over for the heat riser/EGR?) of the head and what looked like wet intake runners from oil. The passenger side center port had a huge amount of carbon/crud built up around it, to the point it was packed around the #6 intake valve push rod. I spent a lot of time scraping and vacuuming what I could out of this area of the engine and installed a new valley pan with black RTV around the water ports and #3 aviation gasket sealant around the rest. Tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll refill the coolant and see what happens.
Crud! Well, best of luck...those gears look quite rough.