Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Gotta love these forums for the instant criticism in the absence of any facts, e.g.
- Where I drive.
- Height of the truck and the commensurate height of the nozzle.
- My experience level.
... .
I second Jim’s thoughts... that is a very bad place for a air valve... I don’t care the experience level... there is a good reason that commercial applications put the air valves behind the bumpers or tucked inside the frame... I’ll let your experience level look to why that’s a bad location even if all you are doing is desert racing.

Mocklatebar

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Long Beach
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Schwenzfeier
Member #

Hey all. Adding the ARB single compressor under the hood of my 2019 4Runner. Using repurposed aluminum sheet I made my mounting tray, (old street sign). I had scrap angle which I mounted to the inner fender using existing bolt holes and then a brace on the left that bolts in much lower.
The bottom connection is 5/16 with nylock nut. The top of the brace is tapped for a 5/16 bolt to fasten the tray. I spent $3.00 for two spring nuts for the angle so everything can be screwed in and removed easily from the top.
Criticisms? Suggestions? Anything yet I'm not thinking of or considering? Anyone think the spring nuts were a bad choice and I should switch to nylocks on both the angle and the brace on the right?

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I counter. Its an excellent place for a connection. #airconnectlivesmatter
Yeah, if your not going down any sketchy roads with boulders and fallen timbers. Maybe he dosent go on those roads. Or crossing a dry creek bed with 4' high steep bangs. I dont know you or he goes with their rig, it's just a better idea to place it out of harms way. I didn't see a winch so the hole there was kinda handy.

Anyway I was just commenting (thats what we do here) on his location, not telling him he is wrong, just not smart in my opinion. The top of the bumper is not vulnerable to obstacles. Me thinks he didn't have a drill and just used a handy hole.. LOL

Reactions: LostInThought

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I second Jim’s thoughts... that is a very bad place for a air valve... I don’t care the experience level... there is a good reason that commercial applications put the air valves behind the bumpers or tucked inside the frame... I’ll let your experience level look to why that’s a bad location even if all you are doing is desert racing.
I mentioned the location because of my experience with racing and off roading in the past. I have had valve stems ripped off too many times. All accidental of course. We build for durability usually. Why else would we buy these big protective bumpers and rock sliders etc. ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Gotta love these forums for the instant criticism in the absence of any facts, e.g.
- Where I drive.
- Height of the truck and the commensurate height of the nozzle.
- My experience level.
... .
I really didn't need any facts about your skill levels etc. Kevin. I didn't criticise, it was an observation. It just makes sense to protect the valve for obvious reasons. You should have appreciated my comment rather than degrade it. We are here to help each other aren't we ?

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I really didn't need any facts....
Right. You baked in a bunch of assumptions and decided you were more experienced and that I needed to learn something from you. Of course there is the possibility it could be knocked against something. But I had the exact same setup 4Runner and had nary a problem after 5 years of use. I do own a drill and, in fact, had to use it to enlarge the hole. The terrain I am usually on is mud or sand. I enjoy going to the Rockies and will often hit 4WD trails but I never rock crawl or cross creeks with 4 foot high banks. If I was suddenly teleported into rock garden maybe I'd have the sense to take, oh, I don't know, maybe 30 seconds and remove the nozzle. Or maybe I hit an animal on the highway and destroy a nozzle that cost $2.46. Maybe it ruins the 4 foot air hose too--that's another $8-$10. I might even have a flat tire someday. Why would I appreciate arrogance? Sorry for the rant but I don't think you were trying to help. I'll let myself out now.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Right. You baked in a bunch of assumptions and decided you were more experienced and that I needed to learn something from you. Of course there is the possibility it could be knocked against something. But I had the exact same setup 4Runner and had nary a problem after 5 years of use. I do own a drill and, in fact, had to use it to enlarge the hole. The terrain I am usually on is mud or sand. I enjoy going to the Rockies and will often hit 4WD trails but I never rock crawl or cross creeks with 4 foot high banks. If I was suddenly teleported into rock garden maybe I'd have the sense to take, oh, I don't know, maybe 30 seconds and remove the nozzle. Or maybe I hit an animal on the highway and destroy a nozzle that cost $2.46. Maybe it ruins the 4 foot air hose too--that's another $8-$10. I might even have a flat tire someday. Why would I appreciate arrogance? Sorry for the rant but I don't think you were trying to help. I'll let myself out now.
OK guys. It is what it is. You do what you do. If it doesn't work reengineer it. That's what I do. I don't follow any standard form factor just do what looks like it will work until it doesn't then I step back and rethink things. However if it works. Great!

MWallace

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I did a shakedown trip of my XJ after an engine rebuild. Moved my daughter from Cincinnati to Louisville for Grad school this week with the XJ. It did really well, but then the auxiliary cooling fan locked up when we got to Louisville. Other than that it was pretty solid. First long trip after the rebuild and my confidence has grown. Maybe the KAT is next...

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Late night packing the rig and borrowed 1/4 ton trailer. Had to wait the day out, my patio hit 118 deg this afternoon. (109 deg away from the cement). Sleeping 3 1/2 hours then catching up to my friends near Reno, then northbound to Burns Oregon. Yeah, an adventure during widespread red flag heat warnings. To be continued......

Attachments