Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Is it really an overlanding rig if there's no kitchen sink? Checked that off the list

Water setup: 25gal rv freshwater tank, rv water pump, filter (currently a charcoal cartridge but can get ones for making stream water safe to drink if need be), folding faucet. The hose to the faucet has a drinking water safe garden hose fitting in it, the coiled hose stuffed in there is also drinking water safe. Fridge is a Dometic drawer fridge, behind it is 2 120ah ATM batteries. The diesel heater on the left side is going away, too low use to justify the space. On the right behind my air hose is my air compressor.
Looks very cool. I like that setup!

Reactions: Spud

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Is it really an overlanding rig if there's no kitchen sink? Checked that off the list

Water setup: 25gal rv freshwater tank, rv water pump, filter (currently a charcoal cartridge but can get ones for making stream water safe to drink if need be), folding faucet. The hose to the faucet has a drinking water safe garden hose fitting in it, the coiled hose stuffed in there is also drinking water safe. Fridge is a Dometic drawer fridge, behind it is 2 120ah ATM batteries. The diesel heater on the left side is going away, too low use to justify the space. On the right behind my air hose is my air compressor.
Where is the water tank located? That has been my issue. Where to mount and what kind of tank to not get in the way of the interior of the rig.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I feel your pain that was me in January
Yea I still don’t know why I’m bothering pulling the heads with the engine still in the Bronco... I already know I need some block work done... I think tomorrow I’m just going to pull the whole engine and saw F-It and go down to the JY and pick up that long block for 500 bucks to get me by for now.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Where is the water tank located? That has been my issue. Where to mount and what kind of tank to not get in the way of the interior of the rig.
It's mounted directly behind the faucet. I also put foam under the back to make it lean towards the outlet to give me full use of the capacity on level ground. Filling it completely full though is harder since I need to lean the truck forward, easy at my house at least since there's a berm near the hose.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Which fridge is that, the 20 or 30? How do you like it?

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Which fridge is that, the 20 or 30? How do you like it?
30, love it! Perfect size for us, we don't bring a ton of refrigerated things with us and space is at a HUGE premium with a family of 3 in a tiny truck like ours

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
30, love it! Perfect size for us, we don't bring a ton of refrigerated things with us and space is at a HUGE premium with a family of 3 in a tiny truck like ours
I hear ya. I’ve been using a 50 Qt ice chest fir years, and am thinking that drawer is the perfect size. Inside and out.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yea I still don’t know why I’m bothering pulling the heads with the engine still in the Bronco... I already know I need some block work done... I think tomorrow I’m just going to pull the whole engine and saw F-It and go down to the JY and pick up that long block for 500 bucks to get me by for now.
Well the Bronco Forums say that’s a no go... my ecu isn’t compatible with the JY engine... need to use my junk heads and junk distributor to retain my factory ecu, or I need a whole pickup to strip down for a stand-alone EFI system...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I’m heading out to pull my heads... why am I even bothering with it
Because you need a dependable rig and its cheaper to fix yours than buying someone else's problems. When your finished you know exactly what you have.

I saw a beauty of an 88 bronco the other day near me on craigslist, already off rod prepped and altered correctly, rust free, and many new parts for $3000. If I had found it 18 months ago I could have saved about 2 grand on my build. I cant believe I dont have a older ford product for my off roading. The only excuse I have is that I got in a hurry when I was in the market to buy a builder rig. I started to send you the Bronco listing but then remembered I dont have your email address.

Reactions: M Rose

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
@M Rose what happened to your engine? I went back a few pages and couldn't find anything

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well the Bronco Forums say that’s a no go... my ecu isn’t compatible with the JY engine... need to use my junk heads and junk distributor to retain my factory ecu, or I need a whole pickup to strip down for a stand-alone EFI system...
Since your using your top end, why wouldn't it work on a short block swap. Which engine do you have.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I can see the distributor, but why the heads?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Because you need a dependable rig and its cheaper to fix yours than buying someone else's problems. When your finished you know exactly what you have.

I saw a beauty of an 88 bronco the other day near me on craigslist, already off rod prepped and altered correctly, rust free, and many new parts for $3000. If I had found it 18 months ago I could have saved about 2 grand on my build. I cant believe I dont have a older ford product for my off roading. The only excuse I have is that I got in a hurry when I was in the market to buy a builder rig. I started to send you the Bronco listing but then remembered I dont have your email address.
Could always send me a DM on here, works the same as with email... I’ll be sending a DM in just a minute with my complete contact info.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I can see the distributor, but why the heads?
Because my heads have crossover tube controlled with a valve controlled by the ECU, swapping heads means I have to make an engine harness and swap the ECU or have drivability issues... and then things go south from there from what I’m learning... looks like I have to have an ECU for a factory 5 speed if I go with the newer motor as the auto was computer controlled, transfer case swap because it too is computer controlled (Electric shift vs my manual shift)... the list is getting bigger and bigger.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparksalot

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Since your using your top end, why wouldn't it work on a short block swap. Which engine do you have.
I don’t want to use my top end... 90% of my problems are in the top end, I want to do the bottom end for a piece of mind.