Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Used it to recover my friend's Jeep. He broke a rear axle on a steep slope and had to tie off on a large boulder until help came. Winching on such a steep slope is sketch so we used a tow strap between my truck and a large tree just in case. The plan was to winch him up with him assisting as much as he could with only 3 wheels working and no lockers. They had used ratchet straps to mount his HiLift against the outer portion of the wheel to keep it pressed into place yet still be able to turn albeit slowly. It took quite awhile to get him up the slope. We had to reposition my truck a few times as well as hook up the snatch block once he was close enough. Then I towed him the last few miles off the trail, in the dark. Fun stuff!

Single line pull

With block

His buddy had to walk beside the Jeep the entire way to make sure the HiLift didn't shift and get wedged in the fender.
I see people on this forum questioning the need for off road mod's like tires, lockers, winches, hi-lift jacks etc. all the time. I hope the group who brag about where they go in a 2wd vehicle will think twice before they try this hill climb. Please tell me how you can enjoy a beautiful lake like this one if you cant get there and back. Maybe the young kids can hike down to the lake but I sure cant. I'm glad your friend had a friend like you to help and you having the equipment to help. Good job

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I see people on this forum questioning the need for off road mod's like tires, lockers, winches, hi-lift jacks etc. all the time. I hope the group who brag about where they go in a 2wd vehicle will think twice before they try this hill climb. Please tell me how you can enjoy a beautiful lake like this one if you cant get there and back. Maybe the young kids can hike down to the lake but I sure cant. I'm glad your friend had a friend like you to help and you having the equipment to help. Good job
Thanks buddy!

He's a good kid. He's slowly building the Jeep up as he learns what is useful instead of for show. A winch just made it to 2nd place on his list, right after new axles. lol

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks buddy!

He's a good kid. He's slowly building the Jeep up as he learns what is useful instead of for show. A winch just made it to 2nd place on his list, right after new axles. lol
Because I have a LRD2, people are always saying why don't you just go, it'll make it. It might and it might not. I'm working on getting a winch but I have to have a winch bumper first. I don't have friends like you so I'm NOT going to go to these places until I have what I need to get in and OUT by myself. We need to see more pictures like yours on the forums so newbees can see it's not all fun and games. This overlanding is serious stuff and everyone should take responsibility and get the proper equipment. Your friend learned a hard lesson and all is well this time. I do believe one should learn just what ones rig can and cant do before they go hog wild on buying equipment , and is the best reason to go with someone else if your going deep into unknown terratory. Never go alone I think you will agree.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Modified an EVO Manufacturing License Plate Relocate/Rotopax Can Mount (EVO-1163B) designed for the JK to fit my TJ Rubicon spare tire/rim. Flapwheeled & painted the edges to fit inside the smaller diameter TJ Rubi center hub. Also drilled a hole (1” hole saw bit) in the Rotopax mounting plate to make accessing the bolt easier. The stock Rubi rim doesn’t push the tire out enough to contact the Rotopax mounting plate so I assembled some hardware from the local Ace to make a contact point with the tire.
View attachment 128272
View attachment 128273
View attachment 128274
View attachment 128276
View attachment 128277
Pic when completed later tonight...
Nice job!

How do you like your Cooper tires? I just put a pair (sort of) on my trailer. They seem to be good but it's hard to tell how they would be on my Jeep.

Full disclosure ... mine aren't Coopers though. They are Canadian Tire's house brand and are labelled as Motomaster Total Terrain A/T3. My TJ will need tires soon and I will probably give them a try.

I just completed the metal work on the fenders and they're at Linex for coating. As said, I like the tires!

19-11-13 3.JPG

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Because I have a LRD2, people are always saying why don't you just go, it'll make it. It might and it might not. I'm working on getting a winch but I have to have a winch bumper first. I don't have friends like you so I'm NOT going to go to these places until I have what I need to get in and OUT by myself. We need to see more pictures like yours on the forums so newbees can see it's not all fun and games. This overlanding is serious stuff and everyone should take responsibility and get the proper equipment. Your friend learned a hard lesson and all is well this time. I do believe one should learn just what ones rig can and cant do before they go hog wild on buying equipment , and is the best reason to go with someone else if your going deep into unknown terratory. Never go alone I think you will agree.
He was lucky enough to have cell reception in an area not known for good reception. He was able to post to a regional off-road recovery group page on Facebook to ask for assistance. It's a good idea to seek out and join a group like this and lend a hand when able. He was also able to text me for help and let family know he was safe and give them location information.

I hit a lot of trails solo so I've been building up my kit as needed to get myself back out but you never know when or what might break and you can only carry so much gear. Wheel with friends when possible and if you must go alone, stick to easier trails and have a plan for recovery and communication (Sat phone).

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Nice job!

How do you like your Cooper tires? I just put a pair (sort of) on my trailer. They seem to be good but it's hard to tell how they would be on my Jeep.

Full disclosure ... mine aren't Coopers though. They are Canadian Tire's house brand and are labelled as Motomaster Total Terrain A/T3. My TJ will need tires soon and I will probably give them a try.

I just completed the metal work on the fenders and they're at Linex for coating. As said, I like the tires!

View attachment 128320
I like them, they replaced OEM sized Walmart brand Goodyear Duratrax (sp?). Those brand Duratrax were downright dangerous in the rain. Heck, if the person in the vehicle preceding me sneezed on a normal clear & dry NM day, the Jeep was going sideways! The Cooper ATPs are a size bigger: LT265/75R16 M+S. Plus, these tires handle much better on wet roads and snow.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I like them, they replaced OEM sized Walmart brand Goodyear Duratrax (sp?). Those brand Duratrax were downright dangerous in the rain. Heck, if the person in the vehicle preceding me sneezed on a normal clear & dry NM day, the Jeep was going sideways! The Cooper ATPs are a size bigger: LT265/75R16 M+S. Plus, these tires handle much better on wet roads and snow.
LOL. Funny thing … I have never tried the "Walmart" brand but I have Goodyear Duratracs on 3 Jeeps and love them. In fact I'd be replacing the set on my '03 TJ with the Canadian Tire knock-offs I mentioned and pictured above. They "look" the same as the Coopers so … "hopefully" they perform well. I'm looking at LT 245-or-265 /75R16 M+S.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

LOL. Funny thing … I have never tried the "Walmart" brand but I have Goodyear Duratracs on 3 Jeeps and love them. In fact I'd be replacing the set on my '03 TJ with the Canadian Tire knock-offs I mentioned and pictured above. They "look" the same as the Coopers so … "hopefully" they perform well. I'm looking at LT 245-or-265 /75R16 M+S.
The Jeep’s oem Duratracs were great so not sure of the Wallyworld brand difference.