What coffee do you drink at home vs off grid?

• HTML tutorial

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

There is an excellent educational thread on what type of coffee maker do you use and it's all over the place. Presses, pour overs, perks, aeropress, electric pot and others.

For me, it's the type of coffee that makes or breaks a good morning for me. We buy different coffee depending on the season, mood, etc. For me, most of the year I drink South African and Indonesian coffees. Sumatra, Tanzanian, Ethiopian, Burundi, Madagascar. Always hot, not cold.

In the heat of summer I make cold brew with a South American coffee I buy from a co-op outside of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Greatest coffee experience in my life and I visit there every time I go to Guatemala.

Right now my wife is drinking Lavazza which is a nice middle of the road Italian coffee, but a little flat for me.

I am drinking Black Satin Mandheling Sumatra at the moment. Other times it is La Colombe Sumatra or Koffee Kults Ethiopian Harrar from the Kafa Forest. Both are BIG bold flavors with medium caffeine.

What are you drinking... and there is no wrong answer. Well, other than Yuban instant. My grandparents drank that religiously. I eventually got them to switch to Starbucks Via. They wanted instant...

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
I used to get buckets of generic brand instant coffee for taking friends camping since there's always at least one who complains about anything that isn't "roughing it" enough and I've found weirdly sweet coffee crystals seem to do the trick. After ending up with a bucket of the stuff sitting in my pantry for the better part of a year though I finally swore it off and just take the same Ikea french press that I use at home and the same Boyer's Coffee dark roast I drink every day. I'm boiling water either way so I might as well enjoy what I'm drinking, I figure.

I've got two good buddies who are absolute coffee snobs and have forced me to drink enough of their pour-overs that I suppose I can now tell the difference between "good" coffee and "okay" coffee but they've failed to make me actually care about that difference.

The folks are generally about French Roasts which I don't mind, I tend to find lighter roasts a little to acidic for me. Always hot, even dead of summer, and I do like trying different roasts even if I'm not too picky.

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
coffee.JPG

I usually buy Folgers French Roast for the percolator. But recently bought Black Silk by mistake; it's much finer and went through into the mug. Not a bad taste but ruined by all the dregs. I finished up by filtering after percolating and got a great cup of coffee but went back to French Roast after it had all gone.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Usually Melita Dark roast, grind the beans when at home and buy it already ground when camping. Brew camp coffee in the Moka Express only. I love my coffee and over the years we've tried many, many other forms of brewing and multiples of other fancy expensive coffees and we keep coming back to good old Melita Dark Roast in the Moka Express.

Reactions: USStrongman

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Friend grows coffee in SB Calif, first in North America to do so. I have done the process from picking berries to depulping then floating, and drying then roasting. Really cool but lots of work.

You can be a certified "cupper" which another interesting process, water temp ALWAYS the exact same with rinsed filter warm cup etc.. Amazing that each row has different flavors though there are different strains of course.

Tried alot of different varieties (strains), some really good but some I thought were crappy (not that expensive kind either). At events it was like watching wine snobs..........

A bag of Starbucks French dark roast and a pour over and I have the same cup anywhere home or camping. Black and bitter.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

IMG_2691.jpgI am strictly espresso at home (unless power goes out) and Lavazza is the only coffee I have found that I can get delivered, is consistent in flavor/quality and isn't insanely priced. it also works well in my french press when I'm camping.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i like my coffee like my women...blonde and bitter. :grinning:

since i can't drink it without creamer, i just go with Community coffee since its so popular down here and reasonably priced and it works fine doing cowboy coffee out camping

shocwav3

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

Haha, I started talking coffee yesterday! Learning a lot

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

My wife favors the Super Crema. She gets the 3lb bag auto delivered from Amazon every month.
Her business partners father roasts coffee. About 50lbs at a time. Bought a used 4' wide roaster and since he is a end of career doctor, he needed a hobby. He sells through all of it locally every week.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

And for Espresso, there is only one place in the whole world I buy from. Its still this little walk up coffee cart on Broadway tucked between two buildings in a narrow alley. Every time I visit home I stop here within 24 hours to reminisce. There is always a line of 5-12 people rain or shine. Simply the best.

Vivace Espresso. https://espressovivace.com/

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I used to work for years for a coffee company, mainly fixing superautomatic coffee and espresso machines back when Keurig was just in its infancy.

Being so burned out of the coffee trade, I honestly drink Folgers Classic Roast at home. On the trail, I pack Folgers Crystals, Mini-Moo's, and sugar packets. I did find I rarely drink coffee on the trails, and preferred quick and low impact.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

And for Espresso, there is only one place in the whole world I buy from. Its still this little walk up coffee cart on Broadway tucked between two buildings in a narrow alley. Every time I visit home I stop here within 24 hours to reminisce. There is always a line of 5-12 people rain or shine. Simply the best.

Vivace Espresso. https://espressovivace.com/
Ha! That's awesome. The guy that started Vivace is kinda the espresso guru so that makes sense. Also one of my go to spots.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
We brew 10-12 (12-cup carafes, have a commercial BUNN as we kill consumer brewers in about a year) pots a day for the two of us. Store brand is the choice for economic reasons. When out and about, then usually will pick up a pound of Green Mtn or bag of Dunks from the stash, the better half's daughter manages a Dunkins and usually gives a few lbs when the new mug designs come out.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
We brew 10-12 (12-cup carafes, have a commercial BUNN as we kill consumer brewers in about a year) pots a day for the two of us. Store brand is the choice for economic reasons. When out and about, then usually will pick up a pound of Green Mtn or bag of Dunks from the stash, the better half's daughter manages a Dunkins and usually gives a few lbs when the new mug designs come out.
I've been fairly impressed by Dunkin's in-store coffee, given the choice I'll often stop in one on a roadtrip over other options because good coffee and donuts is too hard to pass up.

Reactions: Sneaks

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
I've been fairly impressed by Dunkin's in-store coffee, given the choice I'll often stop in one on a roadtrip over other options because good coffee and donuts is too hard to pass up.
My family at one time or another have all worked at a Dunks, I like the coffee :). The donuts I have to pass on (keto) but when I did eat them, I loved their French Crullers :). Our coffee maker at home is a surplus one from a Dunks that was remodeled.

Reactions: bumbleruck

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Black Rifle,s Murdered Out or Black Beards Delight are both choice. I have an international coffee subscription which is always feeding me new stuff to try. Seems we always have something different kicking around. Typically lean toward the darker brews. I do always enjoy a crappy cup of diner coffee as well though.

Reactions: Sneaks

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I mix Folgers Black Silk and Cafe Bustelo Espresso together for both home and camp. I like dark, bitter coffee