Waterproofing the Plano Sportsman box

• HTML tutorial

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
+1 on this one. Did mine less for waterproofing but dustproofing especially if there are trucks in front of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Desert Runner

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
This is a great idea, thanks! Gonna do mine this weekend

FJCRUZA

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Utah
Thanks for the tip. I used your DIY gasket on some Plano 1919 cases and it worked perfectly. I left a very small gap where the seal meets after being wrapped around the lid and did not overlap it. Through multiple trips all over the West, the cases traveled on the top of the FJ at speeds up to 85 MPH. They endured every season, very high winds, severe rain for hours, snow and dust storms with out a spec of dust or drop of water getting in. The seal is super tight but lets out just enough air the cases don't puff up from expansion when crossing high mountains or hot desert terrain. Love it.

Krasowski

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monee, IL, USA
First Name
Angharad
Last Name
Krasowski
This is great thanks for the tip. I have one of these boxes and i would be great to make it waterproof.

RomanHeber

Rank 0

Traveler I

usa
i recently contacted many waterproofing contractors about it and they haven't given any advice related to it. Now after reading your suggestion i am happy because now i can now make the box waterproof with your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tavo726

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Octavio
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

This is great! I picked up 2 of these myself and will definitely apply this hack. Better safe than sorry.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

My first Plano box should be here in a couple days. Going to be giving this a shot with it, thanks for the tutorial.

J Tosh Reed

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Member #

This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing. I was really wanting Plano cases for the top of my T4R, but was concerned about the water getting in as I live on the west coast and it rains almost every day for a good part of the year. Cheers! We'll definitely be doing this with the cases.

lifelesstraveled

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Chico, CA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Norwood
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY-19D
Michael is going to get excited about this one! Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I used the exact same weather stripping. I looked at the "marine" version and thought "I can do that!" I proceeded from the sporting goods section with new box in cart to the weather stripping aisle of Fleet Farm. Viola! sealed sportsman box. I didn't glue mine and occasionally I have to carefully place the weatherstripping back in until I take the time to glue it.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

Thanks for the post. Just picked up a Plano box and was trying to figure out a good way to water/dust proof it.