Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

In my bug-out-bag there is a water purifyier. MSR Dromedary, frozen water bottles, and Camelback backpacks strapped to my seat backs. The MSR and Camelbacks pack real small and I can fill it up when needed. Frozen water bottles are in the coolers. But if you are more remote and/or more dry you need more prep and more water.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

ArrArr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Right now, 5 gallon jugs wedged behind front seats. For the future I'm planning to order and install an SSO rear bumper, relocate spare and use the vacated space to house a ~15-20gal water tank with pump, and inlet/outlet in cargo area, as well as a heat exchanger (idea comes from The_Josh here)

S/O really wants her showers. Messing around with a Coleman portable shower thing for a bit, but it's a pain in the rear and takes up valuable cargo space.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
In my bug-out-bag there is a water purifyier. MSR Dromedary, frozen water bottles, and Camelback backpacks strapped to my seat backs. The MSR and Camelbacks pack real small and I can fill it up when needed. Frozen water bottles are in the coolers. But if you are more remote and/or more dry you need more prep and more water.
This is about how I do it too right now too.

Yeti 64 oz container
Takeya 40 oz double wall container
3L camelback
Life straw in the truck

Most of my trips are 1-2 nights driving to some other state. I don't get much in the way of long camping trips right now. This year I hope... at least one or two.

Reactions: RideFlyDiveJeep

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
So let me ask everyone this:

If I were to create a water storage system that had the following features, would you be interested enough to pay $150-$200 for it (be honest, it will not hurt my feelings, I'm looking at a possible $40k investment on this):
1. Hard outer shell that both insulated & protected
2. Replacable food-grade bladder interior, can be filled with any consumable liquid.
3. Strong enough to be strapped ANYWHERE on a vehicle interior or exterior.
3. Available CamelBak-like bitevalves, shower head and spigot.
4. ~3 gallon capacity.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

If I were to create a water storage system that had the following features, would you be interested enough to pay $150-$200 for it (be honest, it will not hurt my feelings, I'm looking at a possible $40k investment on this):

4. ~3 gallon capacity.
Not a fan of bladders. Seems like you can never get them clean. But that might just be me.

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Not a fan of bladders. Seems like you can never get them clean. But that might just be me.
Gotcha, so this would be a replaceable bladder made of reusable material, sort of like a Mylar bag, but with capped fill points and such. The replacement bladders would cost ~$10.00 or so.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL

1. Hard outer shell that both insulated & protected
2. Replacable food-grade bladder interior, can be filled with any consumable liquid.
3. Strong enough to be strapped ANYWHERE on a vehicle interior or exterior.
4. ~3 gallon capacity.
Square? Round? What is the thought with the bladder? If it has a hard outer shell, its not like you'd collapse it to save space. The 3 gallon capacity is intriguing... a nice middle ground.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
My Defender has onboard water using a 50l sill tank with filtration and pump in the back. The trailer has 50l tank but with no filtration so is used for showers and cleaning etc.
Looked at external tanks like jerry cans etc but as a defender does not like too much up high as it is and space is a premium in the back I went the sill tank route. Not perfect but meets my requirements.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Square? Round? What is the thought with the bladder? If it has a hard outer shell, its not like you'd collapse it to save space. The 3 gallon capacity is intriguing... a nice middle ground.
The original design was shaped like a pill, but I think it's a waste of valuable space. Especially for Jeep owners who likely have theeast available space. So I was thinking of going with a rectangular design but with rounded edges to resist impact damage, stackable like water-bricks, no exposed edges, etc. And of course a circa-three gallon capacity as one unit would accommodate 1 weekend warrior for a weekend trip @ 1 gallon per day.

Reactions: Captain Josh

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
My Defender has onboard water using a 50l sill tank with filtration and pump in the back. The trailer has 50l tank but with no filtration so is used for showers and cleaning etc.
Looked at external tanks like jerry cans etc but as a defender does not like too much up high as it is and space is a premium in the back I went the sill tank route. Not perfect but meets my requirements.
That's awesome! Pictures?

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I've been looking at building a hot water setup to mount on my rack. My idea is to use pvc80 in either 4" or 5" by 8ft long and mount a fill port and a port on the bottom to attach a hose. I'll build a matching one for the other side for drinkable water. I haven't checked to see how much water they will hold yet so I don't know the weight either. Could be that it might be a really bad idea,too.

OB 1643

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Dananc The idea sounds intriguing, but (and you asked for honesty) at $18 for a 3.5 gallon WaterBrick, I wouldn't even consider it. But I'm the guy that thinks the RotoPax are over priced and as much for looks as function. (see my price comparison in this thread: #8)

Its hard to get traction in a market where the big boy is well known and priced 1/3 to 1/4 of what you are considering asking, it seems like an uphill battle.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
@Dananc The idea sounds intriguing, but (and you asked for honesty) at $18 for a 3.5 gallon WaterBrick, I wouldn't even consider it. But I'm the guy that thinks the RotoPax are over priced and as much for looks as function. (see my price comparison in this thread: #8)

Its hard to get traction in a market where the big boy is well known and priced 1/3 to 1/4 of what you are considering asking, it seems like an uphill battle.
I agree with Steve. While the idea is intriguing, and it sounds like an awesome device, I would have a hard time with justifying the cost against cheaper alternatives.

Reactions: Marine7

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I've been looking at building a hot water setup to mount on my rack. My idea is to use pvc80 in either 4" or 5" by 8ft long and mount a fill port and a port on the bottom to attach a hose. I'll build a matching one for the other side for drinkable water. I haven't checked to see how much water they will hold yet so I don't know the weight either. Could be that it might be a really bad idea,too.

OB 1643
I've given similar thought. And if you add a port where you can pump in compressed air, you'd have a pressurized system. My understanding is that black PVC doesn't heat up as efficiently as aluminum, so it may not work beyond summer. If you end up doing something with this, please let us know!