Water Storage (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey,
Question for anyone exploring/disappearing for more than a couple days....
Drinking water on an already loaded rig...How do some of you store it?
I budget on roughly a gallon per person per day depending on the climate (this includes coffee water).

Any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J P8111989.JPG

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I like to keep a five gallon water can in the rig and then I plan fill ups along the way depending on the area. I also keep a pump and filter to get water from other sources to resupply.
Some people use their roof to carry water cans or I've even seen replacement bumpers that can hold a few gallons.

It comes down to exactly how much time you are going to be away from a water source , how many people , and the conditions of the area.

I would also factor in water for dishes/clean ups.

* note. If resupply from a natural source is an option, make sure you treat/ filter it properly*

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I like to keep a five gallon water can in the rig and then I plan fill ups along the way depending on the area. I also keep a pump and filter to get water from other sources to resupply.
Some people use their roof to carry water cans or I've even seen replacement bumpers that can hold a few gallons.

It comes down to exactly how much time you are going to be away from a water source , how many people , and the conditions of the area.

I would also factor in water for dishes/clean ups.

* note. If resupply from a natural source is an option, make sure you treat/ filter it properly*
Good comments Jensen, thanks for the reply.
I try to limit any liquid storage to below my roofline in a perfect world.
What pump and filter have you found to work well as an overlander?
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Jim

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I use a blue 7 gallon square water cube for my trips. I have found that this has served me well for trips up to a week by myself. On longer trips or if someone is travelling with me I will take a second one.

I agree with keeping the water low. I store it behind the passenger seat in my FJ. This I have found to be a great place due to the fact it is usually the heaviest thing I carry, with the exception of fuel. I also ensure it is strapped down securly. I have looked at the possibility of putting a permanent onboard water tank in the truck, but this is also my daily driver. Maybe in the future.

Reactions: Jim Newell

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I use a blue 7 gallon square water cube for my trips. I have found that this has served me well for trips up to a week by myself. On longer trips or if someone is travelling with me I will take a second one.

I agree with keeping the water low. I store it behind the passenger seat in my FJ. This I have found to be a great place due to the fact it is usually the heaviest thing I carry, with the exception of fuel. I also ensure it is strapped down securly. I have looked at the possibility of putting a permanent onboard water tank in the truck, but this is also my daily driver. Maybe in the future.
Gunnermoose, thank you for the reply.
I would be interested to see what a 7 gal water cube looks like/where it is from?
I have also considered a poly tank permanently mounted.....somewhere?
FYI...try to resist the urge to install a 12vdc water pump. Keep your water system manual in an effort to reduce usage/waste.

Thanks again for your reply.
Jim

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I would be interested to see what a 7 gal water cube looks like/where it is from?

FYI...try to resist the urge to install a 12vdc water pump. Keep your water system manual in an effort to reduce usage/waste.
Jim,

I fully understand the water usage/waste concern, it is really the thing that holds me up in making the decision. I am aslo building a small trailer that will have some of these ameneties to save the truck space and basecamp from.

BTW, I like your storage concept. I need to finish the drawer for mine. You can see the blue water cube on the table in the second photo. I got them at Walmart for $14 USD. They are nice, because they are stackable when I put them in the garage.

IMG_2266.JPG Phone download 6-8-16 1456.JPG

Regards,

Eric

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Jim,

I fully understand the water usage/waste concern, it is really the thing that holds me up in making the decision. I am aslo building a small trailer that will have some of these ameneties to save the truck space and basecamp from.

BTW, I like your storage concept. I need to finish the drawer for mine. You can see the blue water cube on the table in the second photo. I got them at Walmart for $14 USD. They are nice, because they are stackable when I put them in the garage.

View attachment 10133 View attachment 10134

Regards,

Eric
Eric,
It looks like you have your FJ pretty well set up. Nice.
Thanks for the info on the 7 gal jug. I probably have seen them in the past and figured they were 5 gal cap.
I will respond here once I have any further solutions for potable water storage.
Jim

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Hey,
Question for anyone exploring/disappearing for more than a couple days....
Drinking water on an already loaded rig...How do some of you store it?
I budget on roughly a gallon per person per day depending on the climate (this includes coffee water).

Any thoughts from you folks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J View attachment 10125
Fuel, tools, and water are the three heaviest things I carry. Fuel is unavoidably on the rear bumper. As for water and tools, I want them as low, and centered, as possible. I use these containers...
IMG_4556.JPG
Because they're small (half gallon) I can tuck them in and around other items...
IMG_4712.JPG
I've found the plastic to be very tough, and they have no seems (which is the most common failure point on other containers). I carry 1 gallon per person per day, and have never run short. For extended trips, I carry 12 bottles, and a water filter. I also carry a 3 gallon dispenser for extra capacity and convenience...
s-l500.jpg

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have plenty of room with an 8 foot truck bed.. So I usually bring 2 cases of Kirkland signature bulk water.. Each case contains 6 - 1 gallon jugs. But I have the room. If I didn't have the room I'd look close at the 7 gallon blue Wal-Mart cube.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I also use the blue 7 gallon jug. I also stash water bottles around the truck. My frontier has large bottle holders in each door and two in the center consol. Also.... often overlooked, but my wife and I always have our stainless bottles we drink out of. Fill those up before heading out too.

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I also use the blue 7 gallon jug. I also stash water bottles around the truck. My frontier has large bottle holders in each door and two in the center consol. Also.... often overlooked, but my wife and I always have our stainless bottles we drink out of. Fill those up before heading out too.
Agreed, reusable personal bottles are a must.
Thanks for the inject.
Jim

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

Good comments Jensen, thanks for the reply.
I try to limit any liquid storage to below my roofline in a perfect world.
What pump and filter have you found to work well as an overlander?
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Jim
I keep a Katadyn Hiker pump filter on the rig. Its a small filter and better used for small amounts. If you needed to you could pump a few gallons but it be a pain. I keep it for emergencies and when backpacking. I also keep purification tablets/ powder and a life straw on board.

Its more for piece of mind incase I need more water than I packed.

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I keep a Katadyn Hiker pump filter on the rig. Its a small filter and better used for small amounts. If you needed to you could pump a few gallons but it be a pain. I keep it for emergencies and when backpacking. I also keep purification tablets/ powder and a life straw on board.

Its more for piece of mind incase I need more water than I packed.
Wicked. Thanks for the follow up.

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Thank you for the link. I did not realize they had so many off the shelf options.
Now if our Canadian Dollar would just pick up a bit in value:)

Thanks again for the input.
Jim

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

Thank you for the link. I did not realize they had so many off the shelf options.
Now if our Canadian Dollar would just pick up a bit in value:)

Thanks again for the input.
Jim
No Problem, Enjoy

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Water Bricks. They're compact and interconnect solidly. I carry 2 water bricks and 2 good bricks which all interlock. From my experience, the water bricks are great but the green food brick, although they connect nicely, are not as practical as other storage methods for food.