• HTML tutorial

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
That's very smart, awesome idea thank you for sharing!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I searched several terms but could not seem to find a thread addressing this on our forums. I'm trying to figure out how to transport water securely and safely in the bed of my Tacoma. I have a cargo net that will hold everything down and keep it from bouncing. I also don't want to install anything permanent yet or have a specialized tank that will take up space at home that I don't have for it.

I was thinking of using the standard 5 gallon blue office water jug and a hand pump. I figure the jug will go in the bed just fine and the neck will fit in a gap in the cargo net, letting the net hold it down by the top. That should keep it from bouncing but I'm still concerned about the strength of the jugs and the fact that it is transparent. I could put a cover over it I suppose, that should limit light exposure.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I used to own four of them but sold 2 when I built my trailer. I still use them for trips when I don't take my trailer. Sometimes we use one as a group hand washing station. Great product. Can be purchased direct, from Amazon, and other stores.

http://www.waterbrick.org/

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Well I was looking for something I didn't have to store, but on second thought I would have to store the 5 gallon jug anyways. And looking into those waterbricks almost has me sold on them. Unless I find something better I will order them soon.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I have a standard 3 gallon aquatainer that is good for a couple of days.

Also use a 10 liter MSR Dromedary bag. That is nice since it takes up very little space when empty and you can hang it up and use it as a sun shower.

I recently bought a Stanley 2 gallon adventure water jug and mounted it to the deck in my 4Runner. It'll keep water cold for days.

So that's about 7.5 gallons total. Combined with several 1 liter drinking bottles I can go 5 days with the family on that.

-M

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Most people on OB have a more polished solutions than I do. I have some old milk jug containers from Costco stored in our fridge that I cleaned out thoroughly and regularly drain and refill (I call them our "earthquake water" for emergencies and they are more of a brick shape than a regular milk jug so they fit in a cooler much better). A couple days before a trip, we take two of these, freeze them and put them in our cooler instead of ice. They'll last for several days keeping everything cold and, once they melt a little bit, there's nothing more refreshing than ice cold water after a long hike. Until they melt though, we usually bring two more jugs of non-frozen water for drinking and we fill our hydration packs before we leave. This gives us a total of ~5+ gallons for two people (2 frozen, 2 non-frozen, +4L in our hydration packs and any water bottles that we brought along).

Typically it's just my girlfriend and me that go on trips so it's easier to figure out supplies (plus, we have a small Jeep so space trades at a premium). Generally we just do weekend trips and, on longer trips, we are able to refill our containers mid-trip. My philosophy is that less money spent on water containers = more money to buy gas and parts to keep the Jeep running. :tongueout:

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Here's a powered option for Scepter cans if they still make it.
http://www.livingoverland.com/2013/08/12-volt-water-system-scepter.html

There are also DIY instructions on that site or just search Google.

I like Waterbricks but there is no pump. Just gravity fed. They are easily stackable and secure.

There are also pumps like this which can be used with an properly sized container. https://amzn.com/B00IFHFJXI
Crap. I just clicked your Amazon link and realized (i) how cheap a portable shower is and (ii) how flipping cool and refreshing it would be to be able to take a shower while in the middle of nowhere on an extended trip. Sounds like I'll need to figure out a water tank solution now for the Jeep...

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I ended up getting a pair of waterbricks. They aren't as big as they looked to me in pictures and videos I found. The size is very convenient and the handle is large enough that I don't think it will be uncomfortable to transport when full.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I ended up getting a pair of waterbricks. They aren't as big as they looked to me in pictures and videos I found. The size is very convenient and the handle is large enough that I don't think it will be uncomfortable to transport when full.
Take a big pair of pliers and crimp closed the handle bails. They tend to come off easily.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The water spigot you can buy works well. It's just a bit slow since the containers are not vented. (Which is a good thing)

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
image.png image.png image.png

I think I found the Holy Grail (for me anyway) water storage containers....

4 Gallons (girlfriend can lift)
Cube shaped (no wasted space)
Wide (low center of gravity)
Stackable (for storage)
Spicket available (for pouring)
Self-venting neck (smooth pour)
Affordable ($17.95)
Available at REI (rewards)
5 Year Warranty

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Your images don't load. Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.rei.com/product/100399/reliance-heavy-duty-water-carrier-4-gal

If that is the right product IMHO I would say the Waterbricks will stack easier and be more secure. They are also easy to strap down. So it depends on how many you end up with. I have stacked Waterbricks 4 high with no issues. These might pour better.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Your images don't load. Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.rei.com/product/100399/reliance-heavy-duty-water-carrier-4-gal

If that is the right product IMHO I would say the Waterbricks will stack easier and be more secure. They are also easy to strap down. So it depends on how many you end up with. I have stacked Waterbricks 4 high with no issues. These might pour better.
Not sure why you can't see the photos. Yes, that's the one. I like the bricks. The wide mouth makes them great for bulk food storage as well. But these fit my roof rack perfectly.

image1.PNG

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Images now working for me. Looks good.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

WP_20140722_18_00_56_Pro.jpg I have three 5 gallon scepter water cans plus another 5 gallons that goes in my rear bumper...
For the last big trip we took a little battery powered shower head with us for showers.... Holy Crap it was cold! but it did the job, and the little pump just fit inside the scepter can's opening.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
View attachment 7833 I have three 5 gallon scepter water cans plus another 5 gallons that goes in my rear bumper...
For the last big trip we took a little battery powered shower head with us for showers.... Holy Crap it was cold! but it did the job, and the little pump just fit inside the scepter can's opening.
As much as the government loves passing laws, I wish they would pass a law that all water containers were made as well as Scepter ;-)