Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Switching Vinnie from a weekend wheeler to an overlander. Or really a rock lander as he’ll still wheel just fine. But now if I wanna sleep in comfort on top of red cone or any where I will with lots more room than the Jeep has to offer.

I’ve had Vinnie for a few years he started life a state vehicle for Arkansas. Then was retired at about 275K on the clock. My initial goal turn him in to a weekend wheeler. Vinnie now sits at 330,000 miles & the Ujoint 4x4 conversion was done at about 290k.

Vinnie’s current stats 2000 Ford E350 w 7.3L PSD
Dana 60 front axel 4.10 gears
Dana 60 rear axel full float 4.10 Yukon gears
Mile Marker locking hubs (recommended by Chris at Ujoint)
Detroit tru trac which will be moved to the front axel when I install the ox locker
Ujoint Off Road 6” lift
Ujoint Off Road nylon inserts (front hub needle bearing replacement)
Rebuilt 4r100 trans & Np271 transfer case.
35” Toyo RT tires, actually going to 37s but I had 5 new Toyos laying around the shop so that’s what is currently on the van.
Custom front & rear bumpers. Steel no aluminum
Aluminess rear tire carrier
Custom leather fold down rear bench seat (goal interior will be similar to a SMB RB50)
Rigid/truck lite LED head lights
Swapped out the stock windows with some vented windows out of a chateau
Chateau front seats
Homemade power lock window set up out of the same chateau done van.
Up graded tow mirrors
New IDM
New starter
New fuel pump
New red head steer gear
New high out put mean green 185 alternator
New vacuum pump
New batteries
New OEM Ford battery harness
New Alloy high performance radiator
New compressor
New sub floor & sound deadening throughout plus marine summit floor (water proof padded boat flooring)
New windshield wiper motor
UPOL raptor liner tintable - my base tint was Mercedes Gray for main body, UPOL raptor liner base black for the rockers
Front doors, front cab and all floors have dyno mate or similar sound deadening
All door planes redone with cappuccino tweed.
Bushwhacked fender flares.

Next on the agenda for Vinnie to go from beater wheeler van to Overlander. All parts are sitting in my shop waiting for install.

Add two more windows - one over galley for light & one behind barn doors so rear passengers can see out. Plus adding these windows (at least to me) make it less of a Chester the molester van. Plus brings in more interior light.
Diesel heater (Chinese knock off)
Insulation & extra sound deadening in the rear cabin walls. First layer is thinsulate & second layer is rock wool. This will give the walls R18 value which work great in my other van.
Wall panels with same tweed as door panels.
Water tank 10 gallon (which goes in side the van) under the storage box of closet. Better to have water in van for colder climates IMHO especially with a heater.
Maple kitchenette with sink
SMB RB 50 style rear closet & storage all made from maple.
Small galley box on inter Barn door.
Fiama F45 awning
Aluminess passenger side rear ladder
Carbon monoxide detector
210 amp hours of house batteries (scheduled 31 AGMs) lithium batteries don’t do well in cold climates. I’ll stick with tried & true battery system that will last 5-7 years at a fraction of the cost of lithium.
2 wall USB ports, 2 12 volt ports
4000 watt inverter with 3 110 ports (not that I needed this much but had it so gonna use it)
Last but not lease Colorado Camper Van pop top with custom cedar ceiling & tweed sides.

Here is where Vinnie is at now. Other pictures are what he looked like in different stages of his life. The paint booth shots show him in his final color or Mercedes Gray done with UPOL raptor liner.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Vinnie finally got some windows. I’ve been waiting for windows for Vinnie for at least 6 months. Got feed up & asked for a refund. I ordered some other windows I knew I could make work. I’ve installed 100s of windows in vans. I knew I could make these work by flipping the flag & adding a shim. Plus added bonus is these are more period (year/make) correct, so I actually like them better. These windows are actually for a trailer but worked out perfectly. Totally install time was about 3 hrs.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Super nice!! Similar running gear to my Yolanda. I’m 60-spartan locker 10.25 sterling ford Elocker and twin sticked 205 !! She’s a tank offroad!!
I’ve followed your build thread on SMB forum, you do great work. I’m MSD on there as well but also a hobby vendor. I sorta have be MIA over there because work was take to much of my time. But now I’m retire so need to contribute over there like I used too.

Reactions: Wanderer351

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

It’s the little victories, this weekend was paint all the interior jams, do door panels & windows panels. I forgot how time consuming this work is… spent a total of 20 hrs but it’s always worth it.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

The only thing I didn’t get done was the driver door inner jams above the rocker. I’ll get to it but it’ll probably be a while as I’d like to tackle some of the pop top prep this week.

Attachments

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

Super nice!! Similar running gear to my Yolanda. I’m 60-spartan locker 10.25 sterling ford Elocker and twin sticked 205 !! She’s a tank offroad!!
I’ve followed your build thread on SMB forum, you do great work. I’m MSD on there as well but also a hobby vendor. I sorta have be MIA over there because work was take to much of my time. But now I’m retire so need to contribute over there like I used too.
Same story here.. work kept me far too busy last year!! But this year is travel time!

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn and MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

More progress on the build. It was a little slow going this weekend. Had to miss the Banana Belt 2.0 as the misses was out of town so I had to watch the kids (Dogs & cats) in our case.

Ended up doing lots of smaller stuff tweed the max air vent shim, tweed the boards that will hold the fuse box for pop top & one that will be in the kitchenette.

Put the ladder back on the van so it’s easy to get on the roof to cut the massive hole that will be happening next weekend.

Also ended up getting the frame assembled & wrapped in tweed as well… getting close to getting the top mounted. Once this is accomplished things can move much quicker & potential smoother.

One big note is I’m doing this build solo so lots of times when I need a second hand I have to figure out a way to do it without.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Frame with tweed & actuators on, these are Frigelli automation 1000 lb actuators. These will allow me to push an extra 150 lbs on cargo on the the top once I get the rack on. Not that I want to put that much weight up there… these are also standard with all CCV pop tops.

Attachments

MadVet71

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Harlan
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Switching Vinnie from a weekend wheeler to an overlander. Or really a rock lander as he’ll still wheel just fine. But now if I wanna sleep in comfort on top of red cone or any where I will with lots more room than the Jeep has to offer.

I’ve had Vinnie for a few years he started life a state vehicle for Arkansas. Then was retired at about 275K on the clock. My initial goal turn him in to a weekend wheeler. Vinnie now sits at 330,000 miles & the Ujoint 4x4 conversion was done at about 290k.

Detroit tru trac which will be moved to the front axel when I install the ox locker
Ujoint Off Road 6” lift
35” Toyo RT tires, actually going to 37s but I had 5 new Toyos laying around the shop so that’s what is currently on the van.
Custom leather fold down rear bench seat (goal interior will be similar to a SMB RB50)
Chateau front seats
Up graded tow mirrors
New IDM
New starter
New fuel pump
New red head steer gear
New vacuum pump
New batteries
New compressor
New sub floor & sound deadening throughout plus marine summit floor (water proof padded boat flooring)
UPOL raptor liner tintable - my base tint was Mercedes Gray for main body, UPOL raptor liner base black for the rockers

Next on the agenda for Vinnie to go from beater wheeler van to Overlander. All parts are sitting in my shop waiting for install.

Add two more windows - one over galley for light & one behind barn doors so rear passengers can see out. Plus adding these windows (at least to me) make it less of a Chester the molester van. Plus brings in more interior light.
Insulation & extra sound deadening in the rear cabin walls. First layer is thinsulate & second layer is rock wool. This will give the walls R18 value which work great in my other van.
Water tank 10 gallon (which goes in side the van) under the storage box of closet. Better to have water in van for colder climates IMHO especially with a heater.
Fiama F45 awning
Carbon monoxide detector
210 amp hours of house batteries (scheduled 31 AGMs) lithium batteries don’t do well in cold climates. I’ll stick with tried & true battery system that will last 5-7 years at a fraction of the cost of lithium.
4000 watt inverter with 3 110 ports (not that I needed this much but had it so gonna use it)
Last but not lease Colorado Camper Van pop top with custom cedar ceiling & tweed sides.

Here is where Vinnie is at now. Other pictures are what he looked like in different stages of his life. The paint booth shots show him in his final color or Mercedes Gray done with UPOL raptor liner.
I am a big fan of Econoline vans in the 4x4 variety. Very cool rig.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Ujoint Off Road 6” lift
Chateau front seats
Up graded tow mirrors
New IDM
New starter
New fuel pump
New red head steer gear
New vacuum pump
New batteries
New compressor

Fiama F45 awning
Carbon monoxide detector

I am a big fan of Econoline vans in the 4x4 variety. Very cool rig.
Thanks they are pretty fun rigs.