Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Work continues on Vinnie. I’ve had the rear Mechanical OX locker for more than 6 months just had to wait for shop time opening with Justin at Ujoint Colorado.

Today we move the Detroit tru Trac that was in the rear to the front. Then installed the mechanical Ox locker.

This set up is the most common install done for lockers on Ujoint built 4x4 vans. Super reliable & no chance of any air leaks.

While on the lift we checked other under carriage parts & found that the rear rotors & pads need to be replaced. The pads made me gasp, they were extremely worn. Oops.

Big thank you to Justin at Ujoint off road Colorado. He is a super knowledgeable & just a down to earth great guy.
I imagine those brake pads are handling a lot of weight stopping that thing!
For sure sat at 8400 pounds before the build as a 4x4 cargo with after market steel bumpers. So it’s a lot of weight to stop for sure…My estimated finish we will be between 9000 to 9200. This is well under the weight of my other than that sits at 10,200 pounds. The goal with Vinnie when on the trails is use compression braking when needed, went on a technical trail and going downhill 4L and just idle. I should be able to creep down anything… this should help save on brakes. At least that’s my hopes any how… when I get him finished I’ll take him to a certificated scale to see if I need to have the leafs re-arched or even ad-a leaf added.

Reactions: GLOCKer

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Was out driving Vinnie in the mountains the other day and noticed a little wheel shudder or drive line shudder. Hoped it wasn’t torque converter shudder but when the OD light started to flash I knew it was gonna get expensive… so this time it’s a built to the hilt billet custom trans from a local 4x4 shop that know trans really well.

Just before this happened I had Justin at Ujoint install a OX Locker (can’t remember) if I posted about that or not… put a true track in the front (which was in the rear).
Plus new rear calipers, brakes & rotors while we had it on the lift.

Today I installed all the lights on the rack.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Finally finished up the roof rack wiring & hoisted the hack on top of the van. Took a little effort (rack weight is close to 190 lbs with lights) so awkward to lift but patience won in the end.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: GLOCKer

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Since my wife & I rock climb a lot, we used some old gear & an old rope for the pulley system. Anchor point was our other van. Using an ascender & old Grigri. I was able to pull the rack in the air, ended up working out quite well. The long sling on the ascender help when I was running out of steam. I would put my foot in it & step down the pull in slack with the grigri which is an auto locking belay device. Glad to have the rack on top of the van. Should be able to wrap up the wiring pass thru & switch gangle tomorrow .

Attachments

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Just before this happened I had Justin at Ujoint install a OX Locker (can’t remember) if I posted about that or not… put a true track in the front (which was in the rear).
How're you liking the OX locker? I went TrueTracks front and rear and that's allowed me to outwheel some stock Rubis but a TrueTrack front and OX locker rear has always been at the back of my mind. Since I'm starting a new build I'm wondering if I should try another recipe for traction

Awesome Interior btw

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

How're you liking the OX locker? I went TrueTracks front and rear and that's allowed me to outwheel some stock Rubis but a TrueTrack front and OX locker rear has always been at the back of my mind. Since I'm starting a new build I'm wondering if I should try another recipe for traction

Awesome Interior btw
I like the OX locker a lot. I went Tru track up front with OX in the rear as it’s the go to set up at Ujoint over most.

It can pretty much go anywhere my Rubicon can go… as long as the trail doesn’t narrow out. The width of the van is the only limiting factor.

Its a pretty capable rig at 8900 lbs. I’ll go with the same set up with my next build.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Awesome Interior btw
Forgot to ask what 4x4 system are you going with on your van? I’ve drive them all… Ujoint, CCV, Timberline, Quigley, advanced, agile off road, AJ’s, crows/Zavier or whatever he calls himself now, quadvan, boulder off road, Sportsmobile, MG metal works plus a few others… I’ve owned CCV, Quigley, a modified quigley (long & adjustable control arms) & Ujoint. For me & how I build my vans, heavy with 35 or 37s Ujoint is all I’m going to use moving forward the Ujoint system can handle anything & is very stable, drive great on pavement & crushes the trails.

Reactions: Built By Fluffy