Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Played all week so no work on Vinnie. But late this afternoon I decided I better get the latches in for the top. Not really needed with electric actuators, other than really windy situations to help pull the bulb seal really tight so there is no chance of wind buffeting come in from the corners on the E Series Vans. The roof arch front back plus side to side so you can get a little gap in the corners at the front. Anyhow I never liked the latches that Colorado Camper Van used for the high top E Series Vans so I made my own… still need to paint them to match the frame. But they are installed & work.

Attachments

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Irvine, California, United States
First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
I see molle panels in the back pocket of passenger seat. Where are you looking to utilize those?
I tried doing a seat back, but because the seats I have are captain's chairs, with the tall back, a conventional 'around the head rest' didn't work.
Looking for more options on storage that take advantage of unused space.

Thanks for more updates, Keep them coming, it is looking really REALLY good.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I see molle panels in the back pocket of passenger seat. Where are you looking to utilize those?
I tried doing a seat back, but because the seats I have are captain's chairs, with the tall back, a conventional 'around the head rest' didn't work.
Looking for more options on storage that take advantage of unused space.

Thanks for more updates, Keep them coming, it is looking really REALLY good.
Thanks.

Good eye, planning on mounting 2 over the headliner on the passenger, drivers seats when I redo the head liner. Hopefully this happens over next weekend.

I have a 3rd panel that may go on the back of the closet that I haven’t made yet.

Plus thing about making some custom ones to fit the driver & passenger doors.

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
Oh i'm very interested to see how you go about that.
I was thinking about putting a couple over the side rear windows in my express. Would be great for access and help with blocking light and external visibility.
Unfortunately no one makes ones specific to the express, and similar ones for other vehicles are over $800. A lot for a piece of aluminum with holes in it.
If i did any metal work, i'd make them myself.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Oh i'm very interested to see how you go about that.
I was thinking about putting a couple over the side rear windows in my express. Would be great for access and help with blocking light and external visibility.
Unfortunately no one makes ones specific to the express, and similar ones for other vehicles are over $800. A lot for a piece of aluminum with holes in it.
If i did any metal work, i'd make them myself.
Metal is expensive right now… the molle panels I’m going to make will be made out of delrin sheet. That’s actually what the other panels are made out of too. Stuff is great, & strong.

AbundanceNaught

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Garret
Last Name
Onufer
At this point i'm thinking of just laying up some fiberglass, cutting to shape, cutting the slots for molle, and painting it. About 8 layers will do, wouldn't cost too much, depending on what materials i go with.
I have no idea how i would mount it though. "L" brackets off the interior panel?
I hate 'ruining' parts, so wondering if there's some means of mounting that would not force me to drill holes in factory parts.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
You guys should reach out to a company like Tactical Gear & Backpack Insert | Vehicle Rifle Racks and tell them what you're looking to accomplish. They may be interested in collaborating on making larger sheets of the molle panel as a product expansion idea. I imagine it's a large, untapped market - people who build adventure vehicles of all sizes would probably be interested in a larger molle sheet they could trim to size for different size vehicles.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

You guys should reach out to a company like Tactical Gear & Backpack Insert | Vehicle Rifle Racks and tell them what you're looking to accomplish. They may be interested in collaborating on making larger sheets of the molle panel as a product expansion idea. I imagine it's a large, untapped market - people who build adventure vehicles of all sizes would probably be interested in a larger molle sheet they could trim to size for different size vehicles.
Thanks Glocker. That’s for sure something to consider. I have access to a Nova 51 laser & love to develop products. Going to go this route as I have a few ideas for the van market. Specifically to the Ford E350, since it’s not a dead market like some in the industry think… but I’ll cHeck them out…

Last edited:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Thanks Glocker. That’s for sure something to consider. I have access to a Nova 51 laser & love to develop products. Going to go this route as I have a few ideas for the van market. Specifically to the Ford E350, since it’s not a dead market like some in the industry think… but I’ll cHeck them out…
I think the van market in the USA is going to see a rebirth. Custom vans used to be all the rage in the 80's through early 90's - I think that's coming back but obviously with a lean towards recreation and not cruising. And then there is the DIY area of the van thing. Growing too!

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I think the van market in the USA is going to see a rebirth. Custom vans used to be all the rage in the 80's through early 90's - I think that's coming back but obviously with a lean towards recreation and not cruising. And then there is the DIY area of the van thing. Growing too!
For sure… the ford E Series in 4x4 is what put Sportsmobile on the map & gave them lots of credibility. Heck my last year at Colorado Camper Van (I left last August) we did 4.8 million for 2021. I was selling for April of 2022. A quarter of those sales were still 4x4 E Series. So it’s still going strong… it’s funny how a lot of builders just went straight to the sprinter, Promaster & transit. They just didn’t want to deal with the E Series & gave away market share.

Reactions: GLOCKer

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Vinnie is progressing slowly…decided to build a rack since I found a great deal on CL for two Rhino Racks, under $500 for both from a company that was going out of business. They were used not new but in great condition. I turned the two racks into one big rack for Vinnie. For got to take a picture of both racks before I started cutting them up but you get the idea…the hole is for my max air fan rack is 50wide X 123long. Low profile so I think it will look good on the van & allow me to mount my lights the way I like with 6 - 6” round baja style lights in the front. A 20” light bar on the rear & 2 - 4” cubes on each side. That way if we get into camp late I have no issues hitting anything in the dark.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Not much has happened interior wise but the rear closet is coming together. Two sections are done & one is test fitted. It will look like the rear panel. One done I’ll put a face on the front with one door & a double slider for the larger opening. Plus I decided on putting the heater in the back of the van. It will have a splitter to so it will heat the rear & mid cabin. Not going to tap my diesel tank as winter diesel is horrible for heater ruins fuel pumps & filters way to fast. I’ll be running mine with a built in small tank & do a diesel/kerosene mix.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Work continues on Vinnie. I’ve had the rear Mechanical OX locker for more than 6 months just had to wait for shop time opening with Justin at Ujoint Colorado.

Today we move the Detroit tru Trac that was in the rear to the front. Then installed the mechanical Ox locker.

This set up is the most common install done for lockers on Ujoint built 4x4 vans. Super reliable & no chance of any air leaks.

While on the lift we checked other under carriage parts & found that the rear rotors & pads need to be replaced. The pads made me gasp, they were extremely worn. Oops.

Big thank you to Justin at Ujoint off road Colorado. He is a super knowledgeable & just a down to earth great guy.

Attachments

Last edited:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Work continues on Vinnie. I’ve had the rear Mechanical OX locker for more than 6 months just had to wait for shop time opening with Justin at Ujoint Colorado.

Today we move the Detroit tru Trac that was in the rear to the front. Then installed the mechanical Ox locker.

This set up is the most common install done for lockers on Ujoint built 4x4 vans. Super reliable & no chance of any air leaks.

While on the lift we checked other under carriage parts & found that the rear rotors & pads need to be replaced. The pads made me gasp, they were extremely worn. Oops.

Big thank you to Justin at Ujoint off road Colorado. He is a super knowledgeable & just a down to earth great guy.
I imagine those brake pads are handling a lot of weight stopping that thing!