Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Crawl in, on, around and under your truck to see what are the most common sized nuts and bolts you'd need to work with. You may only need one or two deep sockets so don't get an entire set. Same thing for 12 pt sockets (mostly for my brake calipers). Don't worry about specialty tools unless you know they are worth taking. They can make a job much easier and help alleviate the stress of a breakdown situation. Locking hose clamp pliers are ones that come to mind for my truck.

Depending on where you're going, duration of the trip, and who else is going with you can also help determine what you need to bring. Everyone in the group doesn't need to bring a socket set while the only guy with a multimeter leaves it at home because of space. Coordinate with them, or check with someone driving the same vehicle as you (if you're in a club), and figure out your spares and tools.

Get a workshop manual and keep it inside the vehicle when you're not studying it. You may not be able to fix something, but someone else might be able to with the aid of the manual. You can also add notes for wrench sizes that you'll need before the job starts.

Regular vehicle maintenance combined with pre & post trip vehicle inspections and daily trail inspections can really catch a small issue before it becomes a big one. Don't wait until your serpentine belt breaks on the trail to replace it when it should have been checked and/or replaced before you left the house. No one wants to be "that guy" who is never prepared or is always breaking down. You may have a hard time finding someone to wheel with because of that.

Reactions: Buzzard13 and Steve

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Just speaking on mechanical repairs I carry a set of the common wrenches and sockets for my vehicle, cordless 1/2" impact, serpentine tool, BFH, prybar ( also serves as a fire poker and great for moving rocks n shit out of the way) and, maybe most important, a 1/2" torque wrench. Maybe it's the mechanic in me but having seen so many loose lugs, hogged out rims and snapped wheel studs it drives me nucking futs when a guy changes a tire and doesn't bother to properly torque the lugs. Take the few extra minutes to torque your lugs, folks. It might actually save your life.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Might sound silly.

But 2 part 5 min epoxy is amazing in a pinch...

outside of that... everything i read in here i can say honestly i would carry at some point or another depending on the task/trail ahead.

but then again.... i carry everything in the heavy rig (f250) ... welding machine, cutting torch, grinder, many many other hand tools, chain saw, list goes on... it is prepared for hell and back... i feel like it needs more skid plates.

if i cant fix it out of the f250 you probably need a Chinook to air lift that thing to the shop!

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So browsed around a bit for a topic on tools but couldn't find it so fast.. I don't really mean recovery gear/tools but just your averange tools. Do you carry any in your vehicle at all?

I keep bumping into situations (at work as well) that I wished I had some more tools with me so I bought a pretty basic (and not to expensive) tool kit in a nice portable case. Added a few items in it that I already had laying around like good wrench set and a bigger hammer. Probably will add a few more things like good zip ties over time but this has to do for now.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a tool bag with sufficient variety to disassemble/reassemble my wagon. Funny how nothing, sans an engineers hammer, is heavy alone but together the heft is impressive. I really should put some thought into what I can do without.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I just picked up the blue ridge overland gear tool bag. Great way to organize and makes it easy to find what you need in a hurry. Loaded it up with all the usually needed items. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.
I'm a big fan of the BROG tool bag and I think one if these days I'll definitely pick one up. @grantwilson sells them and did a nice long term review of it. Both are linked here.

http://offroadsubaru.com/store#!/BROG-Tool-Bag/p/71662138/category=20855408

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Generally, I keep in my Jeep all the random "extra" tools I have. My main higher quality toolkit stays in the garage and the spares that I've accumulated through the years live in the Jeep. I then added some random cheap tools from Harbor Freight and Amazon to fill in the holes. Not a perfect situation but it's better than nothing. My goal isn't to be able to replace everything on the side of the trail (where are you going to find a spare axle 50 miles from civilization?); my goal is to have enough tools to be able to limp my Jeep back home to do the real repair.

I keep all of the following in an old tool bag:
  • Mechanic's gloves
  • Tire gauge
  • Good ratchet straps x2 - I had a cheap crummy set in there and thought they were silly so I was going to remove them. Then I had a control arm bushing go bad and I used these to pull the axle back closer to the frame so that I could reinstall the bolt that holds the control arm on. Consequently, I decided that I needed to keep the better set in the Jeep.
  • Random other parts: e.g. paracord, extra work gloves, poncho, glow sticks, baling wire, electrical tape, multi-meter, extra D-clips for my sway bar disconnects, hose clamps, random bolts.
  • Wire cutters, channel lock, linesman, needle-nose and regular pliers.
  • Old box cutter
  • Old screwdrivers for prying and generally treating like garbage (i.e. used for everything except driving screws).
  • Multi-purpose screwdriver with Torx bits and extensions to use whenever actually driving a screw.
  • Cheap shallow socket set with spark plug sockets from Harbor Freight. I'm probably not going to be able to do much with this since they'll likely break on any suspension components but they're better than nothing and should be enough to pull the plugs if I ever suck in water. I also can't justify spending a lot of money on a quality socket set when I know they'll just get stolen.
    • In addition: 3/8" drive T-handle, extra 3/8" drive ratchet, universal socket to fill any holes left in the above set, extra 3/8" drive short extension w/universal impact adapters to adjust between 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets.
  • SAE wrenches (I don't have a spare set of metrics so these will have to do for now).
  • Adjustable crescent wrenches x3 (small, medium and large).
  • SAE & metric dog bone wrenches (cheap backup in case any of the above fail).
I also keep a cheap OBD2 scan tool and Gorilla lug wrench set in my Jeep. The extendable lug wrench doubles as my "breaker bar". The OBD2 scan tool is because California has this silly law where auto parts stores can't pull the codes on your car when it throws a CEL.

Other random items that live in my Jeep:
  • Tire deflaters.
  • Rubber mallet (to assist getting the clips in on my front sway bar disconnects).
  • Duct tape, zip-ties, twist ties, extra lug nuts/wheel locks and valve caps.
  • Leatherman multi-tool, headlamps.
  • "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" book.
  • Tea, coffee filters, water jug.
  • Amphibious hiking shoes and hiking boots.
  • In my recovery equipment pack: recovery strap, tree strap and clevis x2, rear recovery point with extra hitch pin, tire repair/sealant, tarp, sheet, safety glasses & dust masks, TP, bungee cords x4, tie down straps x2, folding shovel.

Reactions: [DO]Ron

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Crawl in, on, around and under your truck to see what are the most common sized nuts and bolts you'd need to work with. You may only need one or two deep sockets so don't get an entire set. Same thing for 12 pt sockets (mostly for my brake calipers). Don't worry about specialty tools unless you know they are worth taking. They can make a job much easier and help alleviate the stress of a breakdown situation. Locking hose clamp pliers are ones that come to mind for my truck.

Depending on where you're going, duration of the trip, and who else is going with you can also help determine what you need to bring. Everyone in the group doesn't need to bring a socket set while the only guy with a multimeter leaves it at home because of space. Coordinate with them, or check with someone driving the same vehicle as you (if you're in a club), and figure out your spares and tools.

Get a workshop manual and keep it inside the vehicle when you're not studying it. You may not be able to fix something, but someone else might be able to with the aid of the manual. You can also add notes for wrench sizes that you'll need before the job starts.

Regular vehicle maintenance combined with pre & post trip vehicle inspections and daily trail inspections can really catch a small issue before it becomes a big one. Don't wait until your serpentine belt breaks on the trail to replace it when it should have been checked and/or replaced before you left the house. No one wants to be "that guy" who is never prepared or is always breaking down. You may have a hard time finding someone to wheel with because of that.
With you here. Maintenance and knowing you rig is a big one. I got my grab box and then I got my other three boxes that have all the other special stuff. Get to know your rig and what tends to slip up when you're on the trail.

E

expeditionnorth

I'm disabled so to me one is none, 2 is one, I'd rather have it and not need it to need it & not have it
so as such I carry a craftsmen 6 drawer tool chest in the back
2 of everything I can fit from sockets to wrenches
just a couple of summers ago this saved me in the middle of no where

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
That looks amazing! Although, I think I'd prefer being able to take my tools to where the work is. I've been looking at this...
spin_prod_947258512.jpeg
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-115-pc-universal-mechanics-tool-set/p-00932821000P

...and then a small Pelican Case with all the misc. stuff (larger sockets, pliers, vise grips, hammer, screw drivers, etc).

I also carry two of these (Dog Bones), and use them all the time...
Craftsman-Universal-Dog-Bone-Wrench.jpg

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That tool drawer is definitely impressive but I agree with taking the tools to the work. Tool sets are nice but in an effort to save weight yet still have a wide variety of tools I only carry metric. The organization of the hard cases is also nice but in an effort to save space I use wrench rolls, socket rails, and the plethora of pockets in the 18" tool bag to organize things. It's not small by any means but for the amount of tools in it laying flat I'd say I saved space. I have a thing for noises so the best part is that it's also quiet.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
That tool drawer is definitely impressive but I agree with taking the tools to the work. Tool sets are nice but in an effort to save weight yet still have a wide variety of tools I only carry metric. The organization of the hard cases is also nice but in an effort to save space I use wrench rolls, socket rails, and the plethora of pockets in the 18" tool bag to organize things. It's not small by any means but for the amount of tools in it laying flat I'd say I saved space. I have a thing for noises so the best part is that it's also quiet.
Smart. Which tool roll, and tool bag, do you use?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Smart. Which tool roll, and tool bag, do you use?
Thanks. Weight is always a concern because I went with the smaller gerbil wheel under the bonnet and space is always a concern for all of us but I'm dealing with a car based wagon vs the more common SUV/truck. The week long Labor Day sale at Sears was crazy this year and I picked this up for less than half price. On top of that it saved me the cost of two wrench rolls since they're included.

https://m.sears.com/craftsman-large-mouth-tool-bag-18-in/p-00930411000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnKzABRDy2pb7nPSazdsBEiQAI4lZQLNiTEGrXeSps8ClxNIe87Rptt63jlVf94m7OSl0cLMaAq3Q8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: Kelly

Fakawi Tribe

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

I'm with you on noises. I also use soft sided bags. I use a Carhartt Legacy Tool Roll which is 16" x 26" open.