Vehicle Tools (Merged thread)

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

What I carry is dependent on where I am going to be. Daily driving I carry nothing. In all honesty, I'm fixing nothing more than a flat on the side of the road if I am in the metro area.

Any kind of short-ish road trip, I carry a tool bag with standard hand tools. Again, If I am still in civilization, I'm not doing anything more than a simple repair on the side of the road.

Long road trips and or trips to remote areas I'll toss in some general electrical connectors and wire along with my multi meter.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Besides the axe and shovel on the roof:

I carry around a general set of tools and then particular tools that I know work for my rig: the right Allen sizes, the right crescent wrenches, wheel spinner.
I also have spare wire, screws and bolts.

I used to carry around a lot more, but then I started to note what I was using and wasn't - so I went from a 3 Drawer Craftsman Tool box to a smaller Husky one I picked up for $7 a HDepot.

OH, and hatchets... I have like 3-4 hatchets spread out through the truck.

The one thing I recommend to everyone - that's not a tool - is a small cooler. Food, beer, and extra storage!!!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I use a general tool roll, and 2 for wrenches (Metric and SAE) from Bucket Boss. Socket rails for, well, sockets. Those and the drivers go inside an old Craftsman plastic tool box that once housed my Dremel (that stays at home). The 3 rolls and socket box, along with a 2 lbs. hammer, tape, 6" C clamp all fit into a Pelican 1500. Another one behind it stores spare nuts and bolts, spare parts, oil filter, zip ties, etc. The cases are somewhat heavy to lug around, but doable out on the trail. I also have a magnetic hanger for shop towels and a magnetic tray for bolts. They just stick on the steel bits in the cargo area.

There driver's door has a small zippered pouch for tools that are used most often. It includes wire cutters, screwdrivers, and a 3/4" wrench to get the Hi Lift off the bumper. Those used to be in the other tool roll, but they're so much more convenient up front. I also keep a small Craftsman ratcheting T-handle driver with bits for Torx, Philips, and Flat heads screws. It doesn't get used as often, but it (and work gloves) keep everything from shifting around in the door pocket.

There are a million ways to organize your stuff, and everyone has a system that works for them. I'm always keeping an eye out for a new way to implement a storage solution, but have been pretty happy with the current setup.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I was just looking at tool storage early today, that bag is great. Too bad on the price though, $150 Canadian without shipping :|
Agreed on the price as its the reason I haven't justified the purchase. My current setup works just fine and has been plenty durable.

Contributor I

Hey guys, I am getting started Overlanding. I want to put a vehicle tool kit together. Just wondering if utilizing impact sockets on standard ratchets or breaker bars are ok. I know using chrome sockets on an impact driver is always a no-go. Would appreciate your input, thanks.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I see no issue with using impact sockets on a ratchet.. You wouldn't want to use a non impact socket ion an impact because of the potential for breakage and injury..

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think in the USA will be another brand a good one, but I have the Kraftwerk junior case.
It has almost everything to work on the car when Iam on the road.

And it is compact and neadly boxed.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I think in the USA will be another brand a good one, but I have the Kraftwerk junior case.
It has almost everything to work on the car when Iam on the road.

And it is compact and neadly boxed.
That's a really nice set.. Sadly it doesn't appear to be available in the USA.. I use crescent tools and they have held up well for me..

E

expeditionnorth

it'll be perfectly fine
you'll also want to add handwrenches, nut drivers, pliers, extensions, ball swivels and the list goes on
I carry a 6 drawer craftsmen tool chest in the back of my rig
its better to not need it, then to need & not have as the saying goes
though gas mileage might suffer in the long run

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I go to harbor Freight. you can get everything you need for cheap. I know most will say their stuff is crap. but for hand tools and stuff like that, their good. I put a tool set together that I have had for about two years now. Keep it in my jeep all the time. Plus if someone breaks in to my jeep and steals it, Im not out much money.

Reactions: Justin Forrest

TrailHawkZ71

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Howard-Dale
Member #

I go to harbor Freight. you can get everything you need for cheap. I know most will say their stuff is crap. but for hand tools and stuff like that, their good. I put a tool set together that I have had for about two years now. Keep it in my jeep all the time. Plus if someone breaks in to my jeep and steals it, Im not out much money.
If I loose or break a tool on the trail, id rather loose or break a 10 dollar harbor freight wrench than a 100 dollar matco or snap-on one

Reactions: Travis Barker