Rank I

Contributor III

Fort Sill, OK, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Clark
Howdy all,

I am building an overland trailer that uses the bed of a 1974 Ford Courier. New frame, storage box for batteries and refrigerator and maybe a water tank (under the bed) are ideas that I am looking at. I am wanting to mount a large roof top tent (23Zero Armadillo X3).

Over all planned length is 113 inches. The bed of the pick up is 73.5 inches by 60 inches. I plan on using Timbren Axle-less suspension (4" HD 3500).

Anyone know of commercial bed racks for that size? I sent Leitner a request for info.

Thoughts?

Will keep you posted.

Current status:

Bed removed and working on the surface rust. "Almost" no other rust.

Added two photos from when I picked it up & PDF layout.

TClark

Attachments

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
Will be following along, as I built a scratch offroad trailer with a Mighty Max bed (though use it for hauling stuff mostly), but haven't gotten around to making it into anything useful for camping/overlanding yet and was just recently considering some options.

Here's a build thread from when I did it, in case it's of any use to you (on ExPo, since I wasn't on O/B at that time): Mighty Max (pickup) Expedition/Utility/Rally Support Trailer Build.

TClark

Rank I

Contributor III

Fort Sill, OK, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Clark
Nice; very helpful seeing your frame build for the pick up bed. I noted a few comments by other folks that were helpful on your process.

Your comment of "extra work" on the frame mounts is something I am wrestling with now. I am using 2x4 pieces of old boards to visualize where they might go.

FYI, I am waiting on my electrical work on my shop for my welder so I can get started ~ 220!

Nice bed repair too. I have a few pin holes (3), so I think I am remove the surface rust and then try some Eastwood encapsulator.

I am going to use your bed protection idea with the tubing along the bottom outside.

My vehicle is about 10" wider than the old frame, so I am working to make sure they are relatively the same.

Did you order the axel because you wanted a certain width?

Do you think your frame is long enough from the axle forward?

Great build!

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
- yes, I ordered the axle specifically to match the track width of the Raider pulling it, and to get 6-lug so it could use the same wheels/tire size. IIRC I ordered it from this place, which will basically make whatever you want for a pretty reasonable price/shipping: Replacement Utility Trailer Axles at Champion Trailers

- yes, the frame seems plenty long., can put it at 90 degrees without contacting the truck, which was the goal. The bed itself is actually longer behind the axle, so the basket/rack thing in front of it helps to keep enough tongue weight when empty that it stays in line. I do have to be careful when loading to put the heavier stuff i the front end of the bed though.

220 will make quick work of things!