Rank I

Contributor III

Fort Sill, OK, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Clark
Howdy all,

I am building an overland trailer that uses the bed of a 1974 Ford Courier. New frame, storage box for batteries and refrigerator and maybe a water tank (under the bed) are ideas that I am looking at. I am wanting to mount a large roof top tent (23Zero Armadillo X3).

Over all planned length is 113 inches. The bed of the pick up is 73.5 inches by 60 inches. I plan on using Timbren Axle-less suspension (4" HD 3500).

Anyone know of commercial bed racks for that size? I sent Leitner a request for info.

Thoughts?

Will keep you posted.

Current status:

Bed removed and working on the surface rust. "Almost" no other rust.

Added two photos from when I picked it up & PDF layout.

TClark

Attachments

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
Will be following along, as I built a scratch offroad trailer with a Mighty Max bed (though use it for hauling stuff mostly), but haven't gotten around to making it into anything useful for camping/overlanding yet and was just recently considering some options.

Here's a build thread from when I did it, in case it's of any use to you (on ExPo, since I wasn't on O/B at that time): Mighty Max (pickup) Expedition/Utility/Rally Support Trailer Build.

TClark

Rank I

Contributor III

Fort Sill, OK, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Clark
Nice; very helpful seeing your frame build for the pick up bed. I noted a few comments by other folks that were helpful on your process.

Your comment of "extra work" on the frame mounts is something I am wrestling with now. I am using 2x4 pieces of old boards to visualize where they might go.

FYI, I am waiting on my electrical work on my shop for my welder so I can get started ~ 220!

Nice bed repair too. I have a few pin holes (3), so I think I am remove the surface rust and then try some Eastwood encapsulator.

I am going to use your bed protection idea with the tubing along the bottom outside.

My vehicle is about 10" wider than the old frame, so I am working to make sure they are relatively the same.

Did you order the axel because you wanted a certain width?

Do you think your frame is long enough from the axle forward?

Great build!