Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Until you like something that they don't like.

Then they'll burn you at the stake.

I love their piss poor tech advice. Always good for a laugh.

They're really just yuppies with too much money to spend, on stuff unnecessary for this.

Interesting how I could separate what was said. Guess you need to go to wherever you learned that and restudy it. Get over yourself. You didn't like what he said about another group. So what.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Guys, to quote someone famous: "Cmon, man!" It's easy to misread tone in what amounts to a text message. Some are obvious, sure, but I think the more we try to give "the other guy" the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a question of tone, the better off the place will be.

I'm at both here and Expo, too. I get something out of both places or I wouldnt visit. I'm no "overlander" by the African Safari, Aussie Outback, or even the Great American West definitions. For me I hike the Whites, Berkshires and Greens (a little). I get to Maine and even the Adirondacks of my youth when I can. I get out SOME weekends and maybe a solid 2 weeks at a time once in a while if I'm lucky. I'm looking for ways to make my truck more camp and emergency oriented. Theres a ton of really cool but expensive gear, a ton of cool gear within reach, and more importantly, a ton of great ideas in both places. Yeah ya gotta wade through other stuff and other people. But that's just the way it is. Meet the good ones and keep in touch, but read as much as you can. Most people developed thier opinions from some event or events

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Guys, to quote someone famous: "Cmon, man!" It's easy to misread tone in what amounts to a text message. Some are obvious, sure, but I think the more we try to give "the other guy" the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a question of tone, the better off the place will be.

I'm at both here and Expo, too. I get something out of both places or I wouldnt visit. I'm no "overlander" by the African Safari, Aussie Outback, or even the Great American West definitions. For me I hike the Whites, Berkshires and Greens (a little). I get to Maine and even the Adirondacks of my youth when I can. I get out SOME weekends and maybe a solid 2 weeks at a time once in a while if I'm lucky. I'm looking for ways to make my truck more camp and emergency oriented. Theres a ton of really cool but expensive gear, a ton of cool gear within reach, and more importantly, a ton of great ideas in both places. Yeah ya gotta wade through other stuff and other people. But that's just the way it is. Meet the good ones and keep in touch, but read as much as you can. Most people developed thier opinions from some event or events
Knowledge is like nutrition, some of the sources are so unpalatable that you are forced to seek those nutrients from another source.

ExPo has some of the best imagery possible and generally engaging subject matter. Regrettably they have also become more of a product placement platform than I prefer. If I want to read a GMC sales brochure or pretend that Rivian is the new sliced bread I'll go straight to the manufacturers site. Look at their YouTube videos, pay attention to the number of views and likes, they're dismal.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Knowledge is like nutrition, some of the sources are so unpalatable that you are forced to seek those nutrients from another source.

ExPo has some of the best imagery possible and generally engaging subject matter. Regrettably they have also become more of a product placement platform than I prefer. If I want to read a GMC sales brochure or pretend that Rivian is the new sliced bread I'll go straight to the manufacturers site. Look at their YouTube videos, pay attention to the number of views and likes, they're dismal.
They both serve their purpose but yeah, the knowledge there has shifted decidedly to ad reads and I really only like the build threads and trip photos/routes. The one thing I've always appreciated over there is the gatekeeping... it was great before because by segmenting the hobby, any question was instantly given some context and conversations flowed from there. I appreciate this site's inclusivity to newbies but so much of this forum feels like suggestions without knowing OP's goal or it's people asking for that goal. It makes no sense to me that the same term refers to car camping at the local KOA as it does a 3-month expedition to South America.

And to the point of this common rant from me, I think this blurring is what's killing "overlanding". I refuse to use the term and haven't for years because what is two weeks in the mountains or desert in a ground tent to me is a 1000# overweight Tacoma paid for by TFS and Visa to many others. Any hobby is vulnerable to a takeover but the problem with not being succinct and being too inclusive is that you are more vulnerable to this and the "community" as a whole has landed on the Instagram definition. The expos are more about selling the next big thing than they are off-roading and forums are flooded with flashy builds that will probably be on the used market in a year or two in the same condition.

For all I care, the US version of overlanding can die in a fire. I'll just enjoy the outdoors with those that share my appreciation for exploration, good times around a campfire, and a little peace and quiet. Who gives a fuck what we call it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

They both serve their purpose but yeah, the knowledge there has shifted decidedly to ad reads and I really only like the build threads and trip photos/routes. The one thing I've always appreciated over there is the gatekeeping... it was great before because by segmenting the hobby, any question was instantly given some context and conversations flowed from there. I appreciate this site's inclusivity to newbies but so much of this forum feels like suggestions without knowing OP's goal or it's people asking for that goal. It makes no sense to me that the same term refers to car camping at the local KOA as it does a 3-month expedition to South America.

And to the point of this common rant from me, I think this blurring is what's killing "overlanding". I refuse to use the term and haven't for years because what is two weeks in the mountains or desert in a ground tent to me is a 1000# overweight Tacoma paid for by TFS and Visa to many others. Any hobby is vulnerable to a takeover but the problem with not being succinct and being too inclusive is that you are more vulnerable to this and the "community" as a whole has landed on the Instagram definition. The expos are more about selling the next big thing than they are off-roading and forums are flooded with flashy builds that will probably be on the used market in a year or two in the same condition.

For all I care, the US version of overlanding can die in a fire. I'll just enjoy the outdoors with those that share my appreciation for exploration, good times around a campfire, and a little peace and quiet. Who gives a fuck what we call it.
Ok, but, see, the same term does not really apply to those same two things. It just doesn't, although some would like to pretend they do. One is car camping. The other is more of an expedition. And theres road trips.
Yes I think you are correct - the blurring of those lines is the let-down. But I keep coming back in order to find ideas to make my truck a better road-trip and camp vehicle. Because that's what I do, i take road trips, camp, hike and kayak. I'm not going to pretend that I'm out in the desert or Rockies for weeks at a time. But I still get something from being here, because I read trip the hell out of this thing (500+ miles a week) and then go hiking or camping on weekends or vacations. I just dont see that as true "overlanding."

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Ok, but, see, the same term does not really apply to those same two things. It just doesn't, although some would like to pretend they do. One is car camping. The other is more of an expedition. And theres road trips.
Yes I think you are correct - the blurring of those lines is the let-down. But I keep coming back in order to find ideas to make my truck a better road-trip and camp vehicle. Because that's what I do, i take road trips, camp, hike and kayak. I'm not going to pretend that I'm out in the desert or Rockies for weeks at a time. But I still get something from being here, because I read trip the hell out of this thing (500+ miles a week) and then go hiking or camping on weekends or vacations. I just dont see that as true "overlanding."
I agree, but that is not the credence of the leadership here. It's their site to run how they wish and I'm not typically one to come into someone's house and shit on the rug, but when 90% of the rally points are some variation of rigs and coffee and the trip planning forum has fewer posts than the show-off-your-rig forum, I can't say I see this site without fault.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I agree, but that is not the credence of the leadership here. It's their site to run how they wish and I'm not typically one to come into someone's house and shit on the rug, but when 90% of the rally points are some variation of rigs and coffee and the trip planning forum has fewer posts than the show-off-your-rig forum, I can't say I see this site without fault.
Ah, nailed it. Years ago I put out an invite for anyone interested to stop by and say hi and maybe set up camp with us along a track in the San Rafael Swell. It was suggested I set up a “ rally point “. So, I went to the rally point threads to have a look. Needless to say I did not set up a rally point.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the whole "overlanding" thing is just like any other idea or concept that is out there...be it the transgender movement, veganism, liberalism, electric vehicles or a billion other things. once something gains some social attention and starts drawing a crowd...that is when things get interesting...

like the saying goes: "Nothing attracts a crowd, like a crowd." meaning that once somethings gains a little popularity, people see that and want to join in and you get a lot of "members" that are more or less attracted to the crowd rather than the actual thing. then spawning out of the newly formed group, you get the "gatekeepers" that seize the concept that is already there and tend to hijack it by setting their rules and definitions and demanding others follow in order to be in the club. soon, the gatekeeping turns into the weird liberal self righteous thing where they turn and start attacking fellow members by harshly judging and pointing out wrong doings...such as having a different opinion or using the wrong word in a post. (this faction usually ends up eating itself as it steadily invents new things to get offended over, ultimately driving away even its own like minded drones) now this will of course cause some problems and create infighting. while this is happening, a lot of folk end up just being bystanders and simply continue to watch quietly, enjoying the show briefly and then inevitably moving on. then of course you have the small core group that are actually in it in a genuine capacity and pretty much go about business ignoring the fray. there will always be a core group, and because of that, nothing will ever completely die off...

so, in conclusion...depending on what group you fall into depends on whether or not this idea or concept appears to be dying to you...

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

the whole "overlanding" thing is just like any other idea or concept that is out there...be it the transgender movement, veganism, liberalism, electric vehicles or a billion other things. once something gains some social attention and starts drawing a crowd...that is when things get interesting...

like the saying goes: "Nothing attracts a crowd, like a crowd." meaning that once somethings gains a little popularity, people see that and want to join in and you get a lot of "members" that are more or less attracted to the crowd rather than the actual thing. then spawning out of the newly formed group, you get the "gatekeepers" that seize the concept that is already there and tend to hijack it by setting their rules and definitions and demanding others follow in order to be in the club. soon, the gatekeeping turns into the weird liberal self righteous thing where they turn and start attacking fellow members by harshly judging and pointing out wrong doings...such as having a different opinion or using the wrong word in a post. (this faction usually ends up eating itself as it steadily invents new things to get offended over, ultimately driving away even its own like minded drones) now this will of course cause some problems and create infighting. while this is happening, a lot of folk end up just being bystanders and simply continue to watch quietly, enjoying the show briefly and then inevitably moving on. then of course you have the small core group that are actually in it in a genuine capacity and pretty much go about business ignoring the fray. there will always be a core group, and because of that, nothing will ever completely die off...

so, in conclusion...depending on what group you fall into depends on whether or not this idea or concept appears to be dying to you...
I agree about the core group thing.

I don't care who leaves or comes to the hobby, I don't care if some elites look down on my trips as "not overlandy enough" because I'm not crossing international borders and gone for months, I don't care if the boys from marketing tell me I need a $100,000 rig or I'm not an overlander.

I just love vehicle based adventure travel, which I call overlanding, and I'm going to keep having those adventures. I'll go solo if I have to, as I often do, but I welcome like minded adventurers to join me.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Interesting how I could separate what was said. Guess you need to go to wherever you learned that and restudy it. Get over yourself. You didn't like what he said about another group. So what.
Get over yourself canuk.

That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it. Deal with it.

Expoportal is lame as heck. The ones that made it to Expo east were complete jackwagons. Their whole clique was.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

I left Expo for the most part after I found OB. More down to earth regular people here. Over there are people who, in their own minds are the only people who know anything about anything. Only 150k rigs allowed, only the best this, the best that. blah blah blah. I left over there after that.