Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I don' seem to be able to achieve any more points at all yet I don' have all the available badges. Currently I don' want to buy more points by becoming a Benefactor / Supporter rtf. I still have the stickers from my original membership package and I bought a flag separately. I can' gain extra points as I don' have another member on my doorstep either.
My rubbish clearing weekends aren' recognised either as there aren' any other OB members nearby to verify.

I guess I'll settle with the fact that my points are static from this point onwards

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I don' seem to be able to achieve any more points at all yet I don' have all the available badges. Currently I don' want to buy more points by becoming a Benefactor / Supporter rtf. I still have the stickers from my original membership package and I bought a flag separately. I can' gain extra points as I don' have another member on my doorstep either.
My rubbish clearing weekends aren' recognised either as there aren' any other OB members nearby to verify.

I guess I'll settle with the fact that my points are static from this point onwards
Its all good. I didnt really join for points and badges but it is kind of fun i guess. I want to get out more and see the world. Thats all i care about. I was bored for a few days so i pushed through all the easy tasks of posting and likes. It was a learning experience reading all those posts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Since my maximum level was reached, I've seen no increase in points. Wonder how it works?
Same here. I don't fancy becoming a Supporter, Benefactor etc presently as my unemployment status dictates otherwise. Besides I already have an OB flag so the gifts won' be of much use to me. Other achievements which could bump up my points are also just out of reach.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Same here. I don't fancy becoming a Supporter, Benefactor etc presently as my unemployment status dictates otherwise. Besides I already have an OB flag so the gifts won' be of much use to me. Other achievements which could bump up my points are also just out of reach.
I've signed up as a supporter because I like the way this forum/club/group works, but only look at points etc... in the way it's intended, as a bit of fun. :smiley:

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I've signed up as a supporter because I like the way this forum/club/group works, but only look at points etc... in the way it's intended, as a bit of fun. :smiley:
I agree it' only fun. I guess there are individuals who live for points. as for paying for extra due to my employment status I won' be buying much for the forsee able future.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Regarding points, I gave up tracking them a long time ago. Perhaps the problem has been fixed now but, in the past, my point would increase and decrease for unknown reasons. For me, increasing points was a small motivator to actively participate in the forums. Nonetheless, points are a smart OB tool.

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

Sorry guys, I'm still confused about ranking up. I thought I read somewhere that you can post a pic on social media of your badge on your rig. Second part, can I post on Facebook? Or is it just instagram? Thanks for the help!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I was awarded the following badge on Friday:

Traveler II
You've shared at least one destination in our "Share Your Overland Routes!" forum! Thank you!
Unlocked: Friday at 9:41 PM

I don't think I should have been awarded that one. I've not shared a destination in that forum (yet), only replied to a thread in there (minutes before the badge was awarded).

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I was awarded the following badge on Friday:

Traveler II
You've shared at least one destination in our "Share Your Overland Routes!" forum! Thank you!
Unlocked: Friday at 9:41 PM

I don't think I should have been awarded that one. I've not shared a destination in that forum (yet), only replied to a thread in there (minutes before the badge was awarded).
I had the same thing happen, twice, awarded "badges" I did not earn; Pathfinder I and Traveler II, both contingent on sharing a route, which I have never done. Another one that says I had a route approved and could "Request Validation," which also is an error. Obviously a glitch somewhere. I reported it a month ago, but evidently there's nothing to be done. If I could fix it as moderator, I would.

Makes awards and trophies and badges rather meaningless, really. I've removed them all from the "Feature Badge on My Profile" deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sorry guys, I'm still confused about ranking up. I thought I read somewhere that you can post a pic on social media of your badge on your rig. Second part, can I post on Facebook? Or is it just instagram? Thanks for the help!
Looks like it is just Instagram. From the badges section on profiles: "You've also had a verified post on Instagram with a picture of your emblem in some awesome place, and a shout out to encourage others to "Outfit & Explore", and tagged @overlandbound."

Personally, I find the system of badges, rankings, trophies, points, levels and points changing up and back rather confusing and without complete explanation anywhere. All too much of a game, levels and all, and rather distracting and unnecessary from the main reason most of us are here, which is to learn or share more about getting in our vehicles and going somewhere.

Last edited:

Sheepdog831

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder Creek CA
Member #

For sure dude! I think the reason I enjoy the ranking system is because it's my comfort zone in the emergency services. I also appreciate knowing someone's experience who has earned a certain accomplishment and that may be helpful to me. But not having a bulletproof outline and structured system absolutely decreases the value of the rank. I still want to believe that it's a work in progress, but it has zero influence on how I interact with others or show favor to one or disrespect another. All will be respected equally by me and I consider myself the least among seasoned adventurers who I can learn a thing or two from. Love the community and value open / respectful dialogue, this promotes thinking and sharing of good ideas. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Redzr2 and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For sure dude! I think the reason I enjoy the ranking system is because it's my comfort zone in the emergency services. I also appreciate knowing someone's experience who has earned a certain accomplishment and that may be helpful to me. But not having a bulletproof outline and structured system absolutely decreases the value of the rank. I still want to believe that it's a work in progress, but it has zero influence on how I interact with others or show favor to one or disrespect another. All will be respected equally by me and I consider myself the least among seasoned adventurers who I can learn a thing or two from. Love the community and value open / respectful dialogue, this promotes thinking and sharing of good ideas. Thank you!
You're welcome, @Sheepdog831. Yep, when it is based on real service and real action, not just a game-type mentality, it means something and more truly represents a person's accomplishments. I have respect for that. To me that is military-based, has history, works well, can be helpful in understanding one another and where we fit into it all.

As mentioned above though, when the system isn't working well, isn't finished, is confusing to begin with and has so many different types of awards and levels and rankings and points, with no explanation what some of it means or how one gets there, it all becomes rather distracting, really.

So yes, you're definitely on the right track to not let it be a primary influence here. It's far from being a bulletproof outline or fully structured, yet. They're working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.