Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
As a Scout, I learned "pack it in and pack it out".
As Overlanders, we should do the same. Tread Lightly is my motto:
Check it out: Tread Lightly
I have done that a few times, while on out enjoying a designated camp site. It seems a certain percentage of city folk come up to enjoy the mountains, but do not appreciate it enough to properly clean-up after themselves or others. Thank you to all who try to make a difference. It helps even when it seems too little.OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png..............Instagram.....@Desertrunner_LV

Last edited:

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
As a Scout, I learned "pack it in and pack it out".
As Overlanders, we should do the same. Tread Lightly is my motto:
Check it out: Tread Lightly
I was downtown today and saw a lady that look like she was in her eighties. She had a trash gripper tool and a small trash bag and as she was walking along she was picking up litter. That inspired me to order a trash gripper so I can keep it and some bags in my rig at all times. If she can do it, I have no excuse not to. Tread Lightly

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I learned in Boy Scouts, Leave it Better Than You Found it!

Trying to instill that in my son?

Unluckily here in the south that is not a tall task, garbage everywhere!

Only Trash Litter!!

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I learned in Boy Scouts, Leave it Better Than You Found it!

Trying to instill that in my son?

Unluckily here in the south that is not a tall task, garbage everywhere!

Only Trash Litter!!
I live in a small NE town. Every spring after the snow goes away many towns sponsor a “town wide” cleanup day, usually a Saturday. Everyone picks up trash and leaves it in the blue bags on at the edge of the road. Others get to see how much litter is thrown, so it raises awareness. The town comes around on Monday and picks them all up. Everyone wins.

We had all of our children participate starting at a very young age. We made it a “fun” half day for them. They are teens and adults now, and they still participate every year. Maybe other local areas have something like that.

Last edited:

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I live in a small NE town. Every spring after the snow goes away many towns sponsor a “town wide” cleanup day, usually a Saturday. Everyone picks up trash and leaves it in the blue bags on at the edge of the road. Others get to see how much litter is thrown, so it raises awareness. The town comes around on Monday and picks them all up. Everyone wins.

We had all of our children participate starting at a very young age. We made it a “fun” half day for them. They are teens and adults now, and they still participate every year. Maybe other local areas have something like that.
That is great! We do the same thing in our neighborhood in the spring.
KIMG0118.JPG

Sadly it doesn't slow down the idiots who don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Ignorant A-holes!
SORRY, littering infuriates me.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Wow! That’s quite a haul! Nice!
Yeah, our neighborhood is on the border of GA and TN, literally. TN side has trash pick up and recycling provided by city, GA side does not. We get a lot of white trash trash dumbpers (see what I did there) coming to our side to dump. It is a transition between suburban and rural so there are plenty of fields and out of the way places for them to do it. Thus the 2 dumpsters full of crap.
That is why I am so passionate about it, it is a huge deal right in my back yard. There is a good sized creek that runs along the border that I own 14 acres on and people are always dumping in or near the creek. Makes me so mad. City won't do crap about it, resources are stretched too thin already.

But I digress. This thread is about treading lightly while out in nature, not the ignorance of people who purposely litter in wild places.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The really sucky thing is, no construction site, hospital, apartment complex, or hotel, is going to be the least bit upset if you toss an old couch in their dumpster instead of the woods somewhere. I filled a hotel dumpster to 2/3's when I moved out of my Florida storage garage. With the permission of the hotel, and a weeks reservation. And took another half a dumpster to an apartment complex I lived at 5 years ago. There's no excuse for dumping off road.

I make extra efforts to not even bring trash. Most food can be repackaged in wax paper and ziplock bags. Burn the paper. Save the bags. We have one plate and silverware for each person. After that it's paper plates. And we burn those. Sometimes we go straight to paper so no dishes to wash.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The really sucky thing is, no construction site, hospital, apartment complex, or hotel, is going to be the least bit upset if you toss an old couch in their dumpster
that's definitely not true. i had a construction company and had to rent 30-40 yard dumpsters for onsite use. i pay close to $1200 to get one hauled off and emptied. think i welcome lazy crackheads to come dump crap at my site so i can pay for it? i also own several strip malls and i have dumpsters there...same thing, i pay a lot of money to have them there for my tenants to use. again...when do i owe it to lazy ass people to load up my dumpsters because they are too lazy and cheap to deal with their own personal shit properly?
i get where you are coming from and theoretically it sounds good, but people need to understand that dumpsters are PRIVATELY rented and paid for. i pull up to my building and there is a couch sticking out of the dumpster and the trash truck wont take it. now i have a dumpster full of trash AND a couch. now I have to pull out the couch and drive home and get my trailer and load up the fucking thing and now i have to pay to dispose of it half hour away at the land fill.

sorry, but just because i have a dumpster doesnt mean you have to the right to load it up. with that logic, ANYONE that owns a house and has a bathroom should be more than happy to let me just walk in and take a dump, right? better than me going out in the street....

ha! sorry to poop on your post, John. i do get where you are coming from, but i really hate hearing that from folk. i see people move out of apartments and go find some place with a dumpster (me) and then they throw mattresses, spoiled food, and all kinds of crap all around the dumpster and now i have to deal with it.

not cool. really hate how folk think they are owed what other people have and paid for.

TREADING LIGHTLY doesnt mean making your mess someone elses problem

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Our dumpsters aren't filled and are emptied often. So it's no Biggy.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Our dumpsters aren't filled and are emptied often. So it's no Biggy.
Cool. glad you live in a more civilized part of the world! :grinning:
the swamps are way more brutal....mess with a mans dumpster down here and its on!
damn...maybe ive been down here way too long...

Last edited:
Reactions: MidOH

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I
that's definitely not true. i had a construction company and had to rent 30-40 yard dumpsters for onsite use. i pay close to $1200 to get one hauled off and emptied. think i welcome lazy crackheads to come dump crap at my site so i can pay for it? i also own several strip malls and i have dumpsters there...same thing, i pay a lot of money to have them there for my tenants to use. again...when do i owe it to lazy ass people to load up my dumpsters because they are too lazy and cheap to deal with their own personal shit properly?
i get where you are coming from and theoretically it sounds good, but people need to understand that dumpsters are PRIVATELY rented and paid for. i pull up to my building and there is a couch sticking out of the dumpster and the trash truck wont take it. now i have a dumpster full of trash AND a couch. now I have to pull out the couch and drive home and get my trailer and load up the fucking thing and now i have to pay to dispose of it half hour away at the land fill.

sorry, but just because i have a dumpster doesnt mean you have to the right to load it up. with that logic, ANYONE that owns a house and has a bathroom should be more than happy to let me just walk in and take a dump, right? better than me going out in the street....

ha! sorry to poop on your post, John. i do get where you are coming from, but i really hate hearing that from folk. i see people move out of apartments and go find some place with a dumpster (me) and then they throw mattresses, spoiled food, and all kinds of crap all around the dumpster and now i have to deal with it.

not cool. really hate how folk think they are owed what other people have and paid for.

TREADING LIGHTLY doesnt mean making your mess someone elses problem
Not dogpiling, just a word of caution to add to this. I was a police officer for 21 years. We routinely arrested and prosecuted people for illegal dumping for using dumpsters at strip malls and construction sites, etc, when we could ID who dumped the trash.

Reactions: Ubiety

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Our highways have dumpsters at every reststop. Any out of town plates can use it. You can empty your trasharoo at them.

I'm local, but since I'm obviously a field tech, nobody ever cares. I could just fill the cans by the restroom, so my happy meal bag is no big deal.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Thanks everyone great conversations and yes if you notice in the video there were guys watching me do this I believe they were the contributors to the mess, but oh well.

Reactions: grubworm

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I usually disperse camp. I was pleasantly surprised last year on my western tour that most places I found were relatively trash free...relatively. I just plan on spending a few minutes a day to pickup the other trash. Maybe not all if it's particularly trashy, but up to two or three times what I generate. It's my fee for using the resource. I can't figure what some people must be thinking when they leave their mess for others. BTW, I draw the line at diapers and other possibly infectious debris. I guess I could take my shovel and bury it if it was a particularly nice site. I shudder to think what I would say and do if I actually saw somebody doing the littering. Probably be reading about it in the paper! Maybe with all the video capabilities everyone has these days there could be a national hotline to send the info to. Never happen I know but might make me feel better.

Seems like I recently saw some demographics on littering. Younger, less educated, male, smokers, etc. There is quite a bit of research online.
The Psychology of Littering