Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If it works then that’s all that mostly matters. It’s their #2 seller but really their #1 since the first is an antenna. I wouldn’t have thought to go to Northern Tool for a CB so that’s probably why.
So did a little digging and the 5001z is actually a copy of the Cobra 25ltd... I was wondering why it looked so similar to my CB... so yes it should be a good radio for old tech... and for the price... can’t go wrong.

Reactions: G.Goodwin

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

If it works then that’s all that mostly matters. It’s their #2 seller but really their #1 since the first is an antenna. I wouldn’t have thought to go to Northern Tool for a CB so that’s probably why.
So did a little digging and the 5001z is actually a copy of the Cobra 25ltd... I was wondering why it looked so similar to my CB... so yes it should be a good radio for old tech... and for the price... can’t go wrong.
Next will be a GMRS and then eventually a handheld HAM

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Next will be a GMRS and then eventually a handheld HAM
Get a ham and mod it for GMRS... one radio to rule them all. Other than @MrWilsonWJ we are all running 2m out here... Dustin runs CB
I’ll have to get with you on how to make that happen. I was looking at Midlands micromobile GMRS where the unit can be located under a seat and the microphone and keypad are the same. Don’t know if that work for this or not

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@G.Goodwin they don’t have an all in one mic for ham... but... most mics have a minimum of buttons for changing frequencies and memory banks... some mics have more features than others... many dual band radios have a detached face plate, so mounting the radio under the seat and then using some kind of ram mount allows for a nice clean install without hacking your dash. For an example, check out the Yasue FTM-400XDR and Lido Mounts.

As far as licensing goes, there is a test every weekend in Kennewick

Reactions: G.Goodwin

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I ordered my HAM on ebay and by just dumb luck I got the euro version and it does HAM and GMRS. I have a CB to install also because sometimes I wheel with folks that use CB. I bought a Cobra 75 WX, it has the controls on the mic. I will swap out my ham antenna for a CB one when I use the CB. (NMO mount)

For a handheld, start with a Baofeng UV-5R for about $25 on amazon. It will do ham and GMRS. You can get the programming cable for less than 10 bucks and download CHIRP for free. Makes it super easy to program.

GMRS license $70.00 for ten years, no test, good for you and your whole family.

Ham License, free, have to renew every 10 years. Only good for you. (whom ever administers a test may ask for a donation for their club)

FRS radio (the little handheld from walmart or various places) no license required but is very limited in power.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I’ll have to get with you on how to make that happen. I was looking at Midlands micromobile GMRS where the unit can be located under a seat and the microphone and keypad are the same. Don’t know if that work for this or not
I sold one of the Midland 275 's earlier this year. It is a good unit. Problem is that not many people are running them. The other issue is that GMRS crosses over with FRS (handitalkie's). Problem is interference from random other groups using the same channel.

I would reccomend buying a cheap handheld HAM radio (Baofeng UV5R or F8HP). These will do GMRS and FRS though not "legally". However we tend to run on MURS freq's when in groups because no license is required on those freq's.

It is cool to have a means of communication, However, it takes more then 1 radio to communicate. What I am saying is, if you are the only one with GMRS then you dont have comm"s (...1 is none!)

CB is ok, but they really do not perform well in the PNW due to the mountainous terrain and relative low power.

Just my .02 cents.

Reactions: JL Lou and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I ordered my HAM on ebay and by just dumb luck I got the euro version and it does HAM and GMRS. I have a CB to install also because sometimes I wheel with folks that use CB. I bought a Cobra 75 WX, it has the controls on the mic. I will swap out my ham antenna for a CB one when I use the CB. (NMO mount)

For a handheld, start with a Baofeng UV-5R for about $25 on amazon. It will do ham and GMRS. You can get the programming cable for less than 10 bucks and download CHIRP for free. Makes it super easy to program.

GMRS license $70.00 for ten years, no test, good for you and your whole family.

Ham License, free, have to renew every 10 years. Only good for you. (whom ever administers a test may ask for a donation for their club)

FRS radio (the little handheld from walmart or various places) no license required but is very limited in power.
I don’t recommend the UV5R because for $10 more you can get the UV8R or the GT3p which are 8 watt radios, with a lot better circuitry than the UV5R. Other than that they still work the same as the UV5R... But nothing beats power... 5 or even 8 watts isn’t much better than CB (4 watts). Punching out 50 watts I can get my signal to Hepner without a repeater (80 miles) and push up to 100 watts I’m hitting The Dalls.

Reactions: JL Lou

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign