Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
What about the coast, is there any relief along the coast of Texas, I have family in Central Texas and they say the summers are awful...
It's still almost 6 hours to get to something like Bolivar Peninsula from where I'm at, and I won't willingly go anywhere around there. Beaches/waterfront are my least favorite type of terrain to be on, with a few exceptions on the West Coast where the mountains run right up to the water. I just find beaches boring to be at.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I guess it depends where you are at. Out here in the PNW we camp all year round… head to the high elevations during the heat of the summer where daytime temps run in the 90’s and lows run in the 40-40’s. Then head to low elevation when daytime temperatures start to hover in the 60’s and lower.

Reactions: Viking1204

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

What about the coast, is there any relief along the coast of Texas, I have family in Central Texas and they say the summers are awful...
If you get someone to tell you that relief comes by getting nearer the equator in Texas, in summer, then discount anything else they may tell you as a lie.

Your family is not lying to you (in this instance) , LOL.

I have become increasingly more heat intolerant with age. My body rejects it as unnecessary abuse and my brain rejects it for similar cause.

Enthusiast III

Central Virginia
First Name
Mike
Last Name
CJ8
Service Branch
Army
Virginia heat/humidity aren't that fun. This year I'm testing out a box fan setup > inverter > battery > solar. We'll see how that goes. I'm shopping for the right offroad micro trailer or custom rtt mounted to rollcage or both tune in =) #talkingjeep

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I camp in the summer in the Southeast fairly regularly. That's when we drag out the EndOver instead of a tent and camp somewhere with hookups. The H3T is rigged to be flat towed so we use the motorhome as a base camp and explore from there. It may not be overlanding but it's close enough and more comfortable than sweltering in a tent at 90 degrees and 98% humidity. This was shot last August. No way I'd tent camp in those temps but with a little AC at night it's better than staying home.

1713890894345.png

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I strongly believe that if you are mentally and physically prepared, all season camping, especially summer camping is enjoyable and feasible, no matter the weather conditions. I have camped in extreme cold and heat, and do be honest, If I had to choose, I would prefer extreme heat. The reason is it that it is not wet, the sky is blue, and there are many ways to cool down. I am currently based in Saudi Arabia, the other day we went on a camping trip where temperatures were 46 C. during the day and around 30 at night. During the day we explored in the car off road and were outdoors only before sunset. We have an air cooler in the tent that ended up making as freeze...

Attachments

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I prefer summer camping. I love the heat and I hate being cold, although I do camp year round. The winter months are the rainiest, so that gets old and I'm not a fan of mud. It's also part of why I got a camper so I can get be more comfortable camping in winter. Late summer/early Fall is the best time. You get a bit of the lingering summer heat, it's still dry out and less crowds.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We've camped in summer in a lot of places - we've only ever found it uncomfortable when it's been 34 deg C or more (93 deg F) with no breeze. Good ventilation makes it possible.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Enthusiast II

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
I have camped in Temps from 45*C to -35*C and as said before if you are prepared you can make it enjoyable.

When super hot we tend to seek shade and be less active from 11am-3pm mainly reading and lounging unless on the road but the we have AC.

For hot weather sleeping gear makes the largest difference. The Kids are in Ground tents and they get the warm/hot weather sleeping bags or woobies. (Vets know) My wife and I are in the RTT and we have a cooling pad on the mattress and also use USB Fans to move the air. We also tend to swim or take an extra shower later in the evening to really cool off. Fires are kept smaller and used to road marshmallows or just use as Caveman TV so they throw less heat.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Been camping in +35 and -15, and everything in between. Considering an ice road trip this coming winter. EVERY season is camping season. :D

Beater Bomb

Rank 0

Contributor II

Georgia, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
aaa
Map of average July temps. Daytime times are brutal in the southernmost states, but a breezy 80° after the sun has gone down really isn't bad.

View attachment 235483
I live in GA. I normally have something to do outdoors all year, with the exception of Summer. The heat and humidity down here is ridiculous. I used to have a pool, and even then I avoided going out until after dark.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I live in GA. I normally have something to do outdoors all year, with the exception of Summer. The heat and humidity down here is ridiculous. I used to have a pool, and even then I avoided going out until after dark.
Oh man, you aren't kidding. The humidity is unbelievable. I dated a girl from Savannah, GA for a while and made a couple trips down there. Dang it was brutal.

Reactions: Beater Bomb

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Was 116F in Phoenix on Monday. I drove north 2.5 hrs, settled into camp and by 8pm it was a perfect 72F. 52F overnight, nice and cool sleep!
yeah, but by then you were at 6-7000 feet. Drive 2.5 hrs west and camp.

Bottom line; Summer camping is doable, IF, you can cool down either naturally or artificially.