Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Used my REI Member 20% off!

This is where the Omaha Steaks Styrofoam cooler normally lives when we are out exploring.

It works, but the hinges limit opening a bit vs the loose lid. We knew that before ordering, though.

It fits much better back here!

A perfect match!

(But then, I don't really have to worry about how it fits in the Outback much longer...)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I took a GOB of photos today, after getting the Outback stripped of all the stuff I'm removing, and having it detailed. Figured I'd post a link here for anyone bored enough to look through 87 images. :) I know no one here is interested in buying it, but y'all have seen it getting put together, so you might like to see it before it sells.

ForSale

Reactions: NorthStar96

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I took a GOB of photos today, after getting the Outback stripped of all the stuff I'm removing, and having it detailed. Figured I'd post a link here for anyone bored enough to look through 87 images. :) I know no one here is interested in buying it, but y'all have seen it getting put together, so you might like to see it before it sells.

ForSale
Lol I actually just looked through every single photo.. Detailer did a good job :)

Reactions: Steve

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Read through the whole thread front-to-back. Lots of great ideas and inspiration for my own wagon build. But then.......you sold it! Hahahaha. Oh well; I guess change is inevitable. Very curious to see what's next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Read through the whole thread front-to-back. Lots of great ideas and inspiration for my own wagon build. But then.......you sold it! Hahahaha. Oh well; I guess change is inevitable. Very curious to see what's next.
Yea, I drove it for seven years stock, spent a bunch of time/money on it last year, and then decided to change. Last year was the first time since having kids 28 years ago that Deb and I got to take a vacation by ourselves. And having just discovered Overland Bound last spring, I decided to build the Outback into something that would take us to out of the way places without worrying about getting back out.

But during those trips, we found that we'd like a little more storage room, an automatic so that Deb can drive during those 12 hour transit days, a little more off road capability, and more towing capacity in case we decide to get a small travel trailer.

The Outback was capable enough for almost anywhere we've asked it to go, and could have served us well for years of exploring. But it is a highly sought after model with very low miles, so I wanted to sell it while it was still worth the premium I got for it. Selling an eight year old car for more than halftone original purchase price is pretty unusual. I had two firm buyers and two waffling within 48 hours.

As for what's next, that's linked in my sig, as are links to my Instagram account where you can see a lot more trip photos than I posted on here.

Here were two threads on our travels:
Steve & Deb Drive To Florida (February 2016)
Steve & Deb's Cross-Country Adventure

Reactions: Wildfire

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@Steve Sounds like the right move for your needs. 4runners are great vehicles! I loved mine dearly and it never let me down.

I'm prepared for the distinct possibility that at a certain point, my own wagon build may run me into a similar brick wall of sorts. It's never gonna have tru 4wd, low-range, lockers, +1' of ground clearance, etc.

But seeing what others are doing with theirs both in the garage and on the trail keeps me inspired for the time being...

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm prepared for the distinct possibility that at a certain point, my own wagon build may run me into a similar brick wall of sorts
Two times I've backed off being overly cautious. In February when we were wandering through the Ocala State Forest in Florida, I came to a fast moving water crossing. Two lifted Jeeps came through from the other side, and it was a steep approach and departure with sand on both slopes and the creek bottom. If if had been gravel, I wouldn't have hesitated, but the Jeeps took off, and I just sat there looking at it, and then turned around.

The other time was when we are looking for ghost towns in eastern Oregon. We were 18 miles back a gravel road with no cell service. The mine we wanted to see was over the next ridge, so we headed up the somewhat steep hill. We got to some melon sized rocks, which normally wouldn't have been a problem. But with the 2.5 engine and turbo, there's no power at the bottom, and first gear is geared sorta high. So I either had to go at a good clip, or slip the clutch and take it easy. After about 50 yards of trying to do both, I sat there and thought, "You're 1500 miles from home,. Don't break it!" So again, I turned around.

It never let me down, it just limited where I could go with me feeling confident. That's when I decided to sell the Outback and get a 4Runner. I wouldn't have given either situation a second thought in the 4Runner. That was two occasions in 13,000 miles of traveling. Neither ruined the experience, nor made the Outback lacking in any other way. If I'd had the low range that was offered on the Australian Outback at the time, I'd not have given either a second thought, either. Probably not if I had the 6 cylinder with an automatic, either.

I'd imagine you will come across similar situations at some point, and find how the Volvo handles them. I'm eager to see what it will do for you!

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Two times I've backed off being overly cautious. In February when we were wandering through the Ocala State Forest in Florida, I came to a fast moving water crossing. Two lifted Jeeps came through from the other side, and it was a steep approach and departure with sand on both slopes and the creek bottom. If if had been gravel, I wouldn't have hesitated, but the Jeeps took off, and I just sat there looking at it, and then turned around.

The other time was when we are looking for ghost towns in eastern Oregon. We were 18 miles back a gravel road with no cell service. The mine we wanted to see was over the next ridge, so we headed up the somewhat steep hill. We got to some melon sized rocks, which normally wouldn't have been a problem. But with the 2.5 engine and turbo, there's no power at the bottom, and first gear is geared sorta high. So I either had to go at a good clip, or slip the clutch and take it easy. After about 50 yards of trying to do both, I sat there and thought, "You're 1500 miles from home,. Don't break it!" So again, I turned around.

It never let me down, it just limited where I could go with me feeling confident. That's when I decided to sell the Outback and get a 4Runner. I wouldn't have given either situation a second thought in the 4Runner. That was two occasions in 13,000 miles of traveling. Neither ruined the experience, nor made the Outback lacking in any other way. If I'd had the low range that was offered on the Australian Outback at the time, I'd not have given either a second thought, either. Probably not if I had the 6 cylinder with an automatic, either.

I'd imagine you will come across similar situations at some point, and find how the Volvo handles them. I'm eager to see what it will do for you!
In hear Ya on all this. I've been in a few similar situations recently and have turned back because a) my boys are with me and b) i essentially have zero recovery gear [emoji17]. Working on the latter.

Do you have a build thread here for the runner yet?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My Subaru Ambassador kit arrived today. I applied last July. The transporter is picking up the Outback to head to its new home in Portland, Oregon tomorrow. What peculiar timing...