Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

Today I picked up Tractor Supply Company's version of the Maxxtow #70108 Aluminum Cargo Carrier, and assembled it. Since the Outback only has a listed tongue weight of 200#, I went with the lighter version, rather than the slightly cheaper but 30# heavier painted steel version.

We'll use this on our trip to Seattle in a few weeks, and then stash it there for a future return trip, or disassemble it and strap it to the roof rack for the meandering return trip.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

This reflective tape ought to keep anyone from running into me, or busting a shin!

If you want to follow along on our upcoming cross-country trip, follow or like one (or all) of these social media accounts:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExploringTheUSA
Twitter: https://twitter.com/exploringtheusa
Instagram: https://instagram.com/explore_the_usa/

(Please do not reference any of my other online identities, or link to anything that might identify me or my location closer than northern Ohio.)

Reactions: Michael

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I can appreciate the 'busting a shin' comment. Those carriers don't have much give to them, compare to the human anatomy!
Ran into one running around behind a buddy's DiscoII at an off-roading even in Virginia. Left a goose egg on my shin for the weekend. I didn't know he had one installed, and it was unloaded at the time, so it wasn't in my line of sight.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I forgot to post this here the other day. This was from Thursday.

One week until we leave! Today I had the local Subaru dealer change oil, and give the car a good looking over before taking off. Then I got a new Interstate battery to replace the OEM one, since we will probably getting into some colder weather.

I removed the Thule rack with two kayak mounts, two bike racks, and the ARB awning, and got ready to mount the OEM cross-bars with the Yakima RoadWarrior with extension, ARB awning, and LED light bar. But after the super solid Thule mount, I just wasn't confident with all that weight up there on the OEM cross-bars.

So I ordered a set of additional Thule mounts and bars to mount the basket configuration. An additional expense, but I won't have to go through the time consuming adjustments to get everything all square and lined up several times a year.

Meanwhile, it looks weird naked!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Today was productive. (It better be! I'm running out of time.)

I assembled and installed the Thule 450 Crossroad rack with 50" square bars. Then I played out the basket, installed the fairing, FourTreks Modular Awning mounts, FourTreks Modular LED light bar mounts, mounted the OPT7 CREE LED 32" light bar, and then lifted the whole assembly onto the Outback.

I had to do some adjusting. My kayak/bike/awning configuration puts the awning lower, but further outboard. With the basket/LED/awning configuration, the awning is higher, but closer to the car, causing interference with the lift gate when it was open. I had to move the basket further forward in order to support the awning front of the basket. It's pretty solid, and I could probably hang from the awning back plate.

I then temporarily wired the LED light. Since I change rack configurations, I don't want the wiring permanent. But eventually, I'd like to run a set of 4 gauge wires from the battery to a terminal block in the back of the Outback. There I could connect the LED light bar and any additional external lighting through the lift gate crack, plus have adequate power for my inverter and a future fridge. For this trip, though, it is stuck to the edge of the windscreen using adhesive blocks and zip-ties.

Flip down the fairing to reveal the LED light bar

FourTreks Modular LED lightbar mount

FourTreks Modular ARB Awning mount

Low Beams

High Beams

LED

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Very nice Steve, I love those LED bars.
They do their job and look very cool.

Greetings from Robert

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Steve your Outback is becoming the most bad ass Subaru in the states! What day are you leaving? I'd love to post a picture/article the day you leave!

-M

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve your Outback is becoming the most bad ass Subaru in the states! What day are you leaving? I'd love to post a picture/article the day you leave!

-M
@administrator I appreciate that, Michael, but it's not even close. There are several Subaru off-road forums and Facebook groups with way better rigs than my humble attempt. Both pure off-road, and adventure traveling. Here are two great examples over on Expedition Portal: 2015 Subaru Outback - Expedition Retrofit and Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback build

We leave this Friday, September 18 (my 62nd birthday) unless we get so far behind we need to postpone. We will arrive in Seattle September 22, and Seattle Pacific University move-in day is September 23 (Deb's 60th birthday.) We have orientation the 24th, and plan to leave there September 25. That's all the plans we have definitely defined. That's why my "planning" thread is so sparse. ;)

I plan to start journalling with a photo of the Outback loaded up, ready to leave, at mile zero. I'm going to reset trip odometer B and use that as a log reference. Our main outlet will be Instagram, which then automatically posts to Twitter and Facebook (Twitter being the worst option due to the 140 character cutoff.) I've then been "sharing" the Facebook post on a couple of Subaru Facebook groups, as well. And as time allows, I'll post on OverlandBound, SubaruOutback.org, and clubWRX (my first online Subaru home since 2002.)

Steve

Reactions: SLO Rob

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Today:
Wheel lug nuts re-torqued.
Windows Rain-Xed
USB charger cable run from rear 12V outlet and tested.
12V --> 110V AC inverter tested.
Tools assembled with spare bulbs, and fluids.
All fluids checked and topped off as needed.
Safety check: all lights and indicators work, tires at recommended PSI +2 (extended highway use while loaded)

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Thats a cool Subaru, always liked them. When i was younger i used to be head of grounds keeping at the SIA plant (Subaru plaint in Indiana) and loved watching them get tested on the test tracks.

Reactions: Michael

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@Steve
Have you recently made the switch to a relay switch instead of directly to the battery? I want to do a light bar but my only issue is I do not want the switch to be glowing/running off my battery over night, so to speak. I have found a few videos that have been helpful but thought I'd ask someone directly, like yourself.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Byron Eby Sorry for any confusion on the other thread. When I said I connected directly to the battery, I meant I connected the OPT7 wiring harness directly to the battery. The harness came with a fuse block and relay, so there is a relay in the wiring.

As for the glowing switch; remember the part about this being a somewhat permanent temporary wiring? I ran the switch wire in the seal of the driver's door, into the edge of the dash, and down to the fuse box cover. The intent was to mount it there. But I never did. The harness includes a separate section for the switch, probably so you can get the wire through a grommet. I keep the switch and the 2 feet of wire attached in my door pocket, and only connect it to the loose plug in the fuse box area when I want to use the LED lamp. Yea, even more Mickey Mouse than you thought, huh...

Reactions: Byron Eby

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@Steve You pretty much summed it all up there. I just didn't want too much Mickey Mouse to drain my battery on one of those cold overland mornings. I really appreciate the info an the thread you have here.
On a separate note, my girlfriend was randomly curious one day about the capability of a Subaru Outback. I simply opened the forums and displayed your pictures. No further questions lol...

Reactions: Steve