Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
Hi, Y'all. I don't own any service dogs but I'm a certified dog trainer, bite prevention educator, certified collaborative care professional and I'm getting certified in service dog training. If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know. I'm from Texas but I have connections all over the country.
Mpceptx, I probably could use your assistance if your willing to take on a 19 month old pit that is strong willed and smart I need her to be a working service dog to assist me day in day out but also be \my buddy. I watched a movie /documentary on four service working dogs and their handlers in al cases the dog knew when to work
and when to be a buddy. That is what I want as I live alone. I’m ]just north of you in Alamogorodo. if possible I’d like the va or Medicare to assist in the payment for the training.

two questions you may not wish to an here in public are how long for the training and how much?

ruralpunk

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Nelson, BC, Canada
First Name
Gretchen
Last Name
nottellingyou
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA7KTF
Service Branch
BCEHS Paramedic
Me and my SD Rambo. Up here in British Columbia SD's need to be formally certified by the government. It's really great actually. Really stops folks from just calling their pets SD's and assures all SD's are at a minimum level of training.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Same here in Newfoundland. We are hopfully getting Mekia certified as a support dog for Colin so she can be with him everywhere. Service dogs, and Support dogs are different here. Service dogs need lots of training where as a support dog just needs to show restraint over other situations in public. Here she is sporting her new harness. Makes walking her MUCH MUCH easier. She also Loves Colin and gives him Hugs everytime she walks by. 20210225_144034887_iOS.jpg
20210227_000012627_iOS.jpg

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I am looking at a trainer/breeder in which the training is pretty extensive. As the main handler, I will travel out there for a week before bringing the dog home. When the dog comes home, one of the trainers comes down to my home (stays locally) and trains the family on handling the dog.

I think it sounds appropriate but what do I know...?
I’m looking for strainer. An you may the trainers info

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I am looking at a trainer/breeder in which the training is pretty extensive. As the main handler, I will travel out there for a week before bringing the dog home. When the dog comes home, one of the trainers comes down to my home (stays locally) and trains the family on handling the dog.

How did it work out

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
How did it work out
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we were finally ready to aquire a new pup, after losing our previous one to medical and age, we lucked into a Belgian Melinois who had failed in her protection training (too friendly). The trainer was just looking for a good home. And gave her to us free bono. The trainer just watched my chemistry around the dog and liked what she saw after an hour of interaction.

She had failed due to having a great and sweet disposition and an addiction to her stuffy toys. Her (trainer) loss, our gain. This pup was trained, to a point that we had never appreciated how well a dog could be in obedience. By far, you really enjoy their company and companionship, as their so fun to be around. And once they bond, they stay by your side even from room to room most of the time. By far she loves her ball (ORB) as so many Belgians seem to do. We were not given to much background or how much or type of training she had had, so we were taking a chance also, not knowing or understanding why she would just give her away free.For the amount of training that had been invested into her. We think she had spent most of her time in a kennel, as she likes to lay down with her back supported against a wall or couch, or a pillow. Being a active breed she gets command and fetch play most days and at least personal play time mental exercise in the house to keep her from getting bored and becoming destructive. We rarely kennel her as she really does not like that and gets to free roam the house or sleep on one of her day/night pads in either the bedroom or living room..

Here is a picture when she was a little younger. She has now filled out some and gained another 15 pounds or so. She had never been asked to get into the tub, but jumped right in when asked.

PS:...........From my understanding, Protection training is different in most cases from 'guard' training. So no attack schooling. Her disposition just does not lean in that direction.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9Mike2

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

The wife and raised both Husky and Malamutes, and right off the bat Husky do not do anything they don't want to do, they are independent thinkers. Yes they can be trained but it takes way more time than I have. They are a good family dog, read as pack dog. We still love them, and yes I tried to train one to retrieve, she would get it, the bird, but it became hers and would tenderize it till she got tired of it. Our Malamutes on the other hand were very protective of the kids and would help them if they hurt themselfs or come get us...
Huskies don't obey, the cooperate....lol

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we were finally ready to aquire a new pup, after losing our previous one to medical and age, we lucked into a Belgian Melinois who had failed in her protection training (too friendly). The trainer was just looking for a good home. And gave her to us free bono. The trainer just watched my chemistry around the dog and liked what she saw after an hour of interaction.

She had failed due to having a great and sweet disposition and an addiction to her stuffy toys. Her (trainer) loss, our gain. This pup was trained, to a point that we had never appreciated how well a dog could be in obedience. By far, you really enjoy their company and companionship, as their so fun to be around. And once they bond, they stay by your side even from room to room most of the time. By far she loves her ball (ORB) as so many Belgians seem to do. We were not given to much background or how much or type of training she had had, so we were taking a chance also, not knowing or understanding why she would just give her away free.For the amount of training that had been invested into her. We think she had spent most of her time in a kennel, as she likes to lay down with her back supported against a wall or couch, or a pillow. Being a active breed she gets command and fetch play most days and at least personal play time mental exercise in the house to keep her from getting bored and becoming destructive. We rarely kennel her as she really does not like that and gets to free roam the house or sleep on one of her day/night pads in either the bedroom or living room..

Here is a picture when she was a little younger. She has now filled out some and gained another 15 pounds or so. She had never been asked to get into the tub, but jumped right in when asked.

PS:...........From my understanding, Protection training is different in most cases from 'guard' training. So no attack schooling. Her disposition just does not lean in that direction.
I have a German shepherd that turned into a Velcro dog. He stays by my side until I ignore him when at the computer, watching tv or reading a book. As soon as I finish, he's right there in just a few seconds. I figure he thinks he might miss something important.

Laurits

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Laurits
Last Name
Jorgensen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HamHead
Service Branch
USNCB (Seabees)
Same. We assume she just doesn’t want to miss a meal. So in her mind, if we get up it is obviously to feed her.
Hah, mine wake me up at 0 dark 30 .every. .freaking. . morning. so I can feed them breakfast. I have two GSDs, the male is the velcro dog. The female is more attached to her food bowl than she is me although she does like my company.

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2

gnomonic

Rank II

Member I

Jasper, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I hope the next dog we have is trained to be a service dog. I deal with anxiety, treatment resistant depression and PTSD. I need to have more freedom, help with shopping, etc.

Pete

rhdthing

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Missouri, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Dirks
This is my wife's support dog/service dog. Tiny started training very young and their bond is something I would have never imagined. Naturally Tiny goes with us everywhere and when out in the wild we keep him close. Biggest worries are always other people's dogs not being leashed and people always wanting to pet him. IMG_20220428_175753_570.jpg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

You may want to have your son along for all of this so the dog can (mainly) bond with your son. I had to pull back and allow my son's dog to bond with him and not be the primary handler. It was hard at the time and the dog is not as well trained as I would like to see but the bond is strong, very strong. This was all on the advice of the breeder, your mileage may vary. Good luck!