Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Monte, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Montanio
Member #

I wanted to come this passed week but on Thursday, the car was in the shop for a knuckle rebuild. Was there talk of any trips? trails? anything going on in Big Bear soon?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hey @BKD Dave , I was tentatively looking at July 25th or 26th. I was thinking we head up early to beat trail traffic (early as in, leave around 5am), explore a trail – pause and eat and hang. Then explore another trail and possibly pause and/or eat and hang again with a different view. Maybe hike up to the Grand View off skyline. The trails are relatively tame and I thought it might be fun and simple with some social distancing built in.

... and if this doesn't work for your schedule, we can do something again in the future. It's also possible others will know of routes too and we'll split off if some are feeling more technical (or maybe someone would prefer a "second wave" of going up at a later time). I was up there a few weeks ago and it was very busy on the weekend.
I wanted to come this passed week but on Thursday, the car was in the shop for a knuckle rebuild. Was there talk of any trips? trails? anything going on in Big Bear soon?
[
This is from earlier this month I would DM Matt.

Reactions: ThunderwingLC

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The SGV meeting was last Thursday and it was good. Thanks to all that showed up. There 5 new people with their rigs all looking good. There was talk about making a run in August by some. I’ll let those who are going post up the information. (Please).
We decided to move the meeting next month to Lonehill Middle School. Corner or Covina and Lonehill. Right off 57 Frwy. at Covina west to Lonehill, it’s on the corner with grass and plenty of parking. There are to go places up on Arrow Hwy. and Lonehill, 2-3 blocks away.
We will meet next month there about 6:00 and stay until 8:00? I will be bringing something to eat and drink.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

In addition to possibly making a Big Bear run one of these weekends there was talk of an extended 3-day weekend trip up 395 either the weekend before or after Labor day weekend. We would start to list some ideas here and firm up a trip which may include Alabama Hills, Coyote Flats, and the various mines/ghost towns in the area.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Thanks @MMc - yes, I'm looking at an overnighter in Big Bear this Saturday - Sunday, largely doing some exploring over in Holcomb Valley and on Skyline (relatively tame). To get ahead of trail traffic, I lean towards leaving at 5am. I'm usually much more certain on my planning and would give a more advance notice. I'm juggling my truck being in the shop and cutting it somewhat close. If someone is interested shoot me a private message. There's a camping spot I've been eyeballing too but not familiar with how many rigs it'll support. And if nothing more, it'll be recon for a better organized future trip!

Freedom Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Harbor City, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Bochey
Member #

In addition to possibly making a Big Bear run one of these weekends there was talk of an extended 3-day weekend trip up 395 either the weekend before or after Labor day weekend. We would start to list some ideas here and firm up a trip which may include Alabama Hills, Coyote Flats, and the various mines/ghost towns in the area.
I vote the weekend after Labor Day! If so, I’ll be there. This trip is high up on my list . I also just found out the Ancient Bristlecone Pines are up there where the oldest trees in the world are but I don’t know much about it. Anyone ever been there? Maybe it would be cool to look into

Reactions: socal66

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I vote the weekend after Labor Day! If so, I’ll be there. This trip is high up on my list . I also just found out the Ancient Bristlecone Pines are up there where the oldest trees in the world are but I don’t know much about it. Anyone ever been there? Maybe it would be cool to look into
The Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains are pretty cool and now is the best time to go when there is no snow on the ground. They have campsites nearby but I think they are still shut along with the other facilities but the area with the trees is still open. The area is easily accessible by vehicle and there are some good short hikes from the parking lot. The one catch is the high altitude at around 11,000 feet. If you drive up there directly from LA without a night in the area you will definitively feel short of breath hiking around.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I had just signed up for a Death Valley trip this December which reminded me of our plans for a September eastern sierra trip and that we were going to kick some ideas around. The following are some possible options that come to mind...

Alabama Hills - Scenic rock area near Lone Pine with primitive camping options

Bristlecone Pine forest - Some of the oldest trees in the world situated at the top of the White Mountains outside of Big Pine. At high elevation (11,000 feet) and the nearby developed campgrounds are still shut.

Cottonwood Lakes - High campground area southwest of Lone Pine accessible by long twisty switchback road. Developed campground sites with many hiking trails to various lakes.

Coyote Flats - High mountain trails and some lakes with primitive camping options. Access to scenic Sierra areas in your vehicle without the hike. Getting more popular as people find out about it and lakeside camping might be getting too crowded however there are many other spots to camp.

Ghost Towns - Bodie is best known but furthest distance near Mono Lake. Cerro Gordo is another popular site east of Lone Pine but I had heard that a couple of the main buildings just burnt down a few months ago. There are a number of other "towns" outside of Lone Pine that are more random ruins but might be worthwhile on the way between other sites.

Mono Lake - Scenic Area with Tufa formations (may still not be open to the public due to COVID-19 closure)

Onion Valley - Popular and very scenic hiking trail that provides easy day hike access to Sierra backcountry with scenic areas above tree line and small lakes. 4 mile hike to Kearsage Pass overlooking much Sierra scenery. High altitude again over 11,000 feet. Located west of Independence with some developed campgrounds

Reward Mine - Unique mine shaft located east of Manzanar that you can drive your vehicle in (Jeep size)

Trona Pinnacles - East of Ridgecrest. Unique pinnacle formations in the middle of a desert that you often see in movies or car commercials for off-road type vehicles. Primitive camping can be done at the site.

Whitney Portal - Another option for developed camping either at the portal or at the Lone Pine campground. West of the Alabama Hills and Lone Pine . Trailhead to climb Mt. Whitney is at the portal.

Reactions: Freedom Runner

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

Hey everyone,

Big Blue and I were chatting this past week about maps, specifically about Gaia. I have an account but don’t have much experience on how to use it and its benefits. For our August meeting, Big Blue is going to go over how he uses Gaia, its benefits and just an overall discussion on why he likes Gaia better than Google Maps.

If there is something your guys think we should talk about, post it here so we can find someone who has experience to share with the group.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this month and to also plan a trip.

Roy

Reactions: socal66

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hi Guys
For some reason this thing quit messaging me when someone posts. I've been working real late so meeting's are out for now. I'll look in here every now and then and see whats up.
Talk to you all later
Scott

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hi Guys
For some reason this thing quit messaging me when someone posts. I've been working real late so meeting's are out for now. I'll look in here every now and then and see whats up.
Talk to you all later
Scott
I am glad you back at work! Sorry you can’t make the meetings. The trailer is looking great.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Were playing catch up at work. The classes are going to 1am. I guess i drew the short straw and im doing the late ones. The trailer is in the final stretch. I haven't posted where im at yet. got the roof on yesterday and just have a few small things before the sides are done then paint.

Reactions: Big Blue and MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I quick reminder we’ll be meeting this month at Lonehill Middle School. There are some places that have food to go a mile or so from the school. 6:00 is the start time. I hope to see you there.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I quick reminder we’ll be meeting this month at Lonehill Middle School. There are some places that have food to go a mile or so from the school. 6:00 is the start time. I hope to see you there.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

What day? Anyone planning on heading to Big Bear this month for an overnighter? I was up there this weekend doing some exploring. Hit all the basic routes within the past two months. 3N14, 3N16, 3N12, 3N09, 2N02 and some other minor trails. Nothing crazy. Big Pine Flats seems to be the central location for all roads intersecting. Holcomb has some good spots for camping. Let me know if you guys decide to go up soon.

Reactions: Big Blue

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

We’ll be meeting on the 20th 6:00 at Lonehill Middle School. You’ll be able to see us from the corner of Lonehill and Covina.

Reactions: Big Blue

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336
What day? Anyone planning on heading to Big Bear this month for an overnighter? I was up there this weekend doing some exploring. Hit all the basic routes within the past two months. 3N14, 3N16, 3N12, 3N09, 2N02 and some other minor trails. Nothing crazy. Big Pine Flats seems to be the central location for all roads intersecting. Holcomb has some good spots for camping. Let me know if you guys decide to go up soon.
Hey Drew,

Matt G and I were also camping there last weekend. We were just off 3N16. A hawk almost ate my son’s rc buggy. Aside from that, it was quite peaceful. We can discuss future trips at the next meeting. Hope to see you there.

Reactions: DrewKD

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

Hey Drew,

Matt G and I were also camping there last weekend. We were just off 3N16. A hawk almost ate my son’s rc buggy. Aside from that, it was quite peaceful. We can discuss future trips at the next meeting. Hope to see you there.
Nice. I was just exploring up there last weekend. This weekend I'll be camping up there near Holcomb to escape the heat. Hopefully the fires die down somewhat. It's real smokey around here. At least the winds are blowing west instead of east towards Big Bear. I'll try to make the meet up next Thursday.

Reactions: MMc