Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Hey all, hope this message finds you all in good health. I wanted to briefly share an update with my Zoom call with @lr4xfar.24209 this past Thursday. He's rolling in a Land Rover he's had for about 8 months and is new to the group. He's got a handful of mods - lift, winch, skid plates and a few others. He's been up to Big Bear, the Mojave road, and Imogene (two attempts, if memory serves). Next on his plate is Alabama Hills off the 395. He wants to put his skid plates to use somewhere, too. In the event anyone has any info on Alabama Hills or has been up there, perhaps you can share any tips/suggestions. Thanks!
Word is right now even though it is dispersed, Alabama Hills is closed to dispersed camping. I do not know if that is still accurate but that was still the case a few weeks ago. For those of you who are fishing enthusiasts, I believe the fishing restriction in Eastern Sierra's will lift upon the first of June.

Reactions: Raiderich

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

@Freedom Runner Congrats on the 2020 4Runner!

@Toywolf I'm thinking something is possible this month given re-opening. If anything, we might eat in the parking lot somewhere and social distance 6ft (I know we have a few here that are either immunocompromised and/or live with someone who is). I'll do some homework this week to see if I can find a better location and I'll check in with Corner Bakery to see if they're at least allowing for outside seating. Looking forward!

If anyone has any other ideas too, let me know please (feel free to PM).

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

After researching the rise in cases in Los Angeles, I'm leaning towards skipping this month. I'd say by next month we'll have more certainty on this COVID-19 situation and have a better sense of data... perhaps.

If anyone in here has thoughts on meeting, or if anyone still wants to meet – either for this time or next month – how about drop a few comments in here to give us a gauge (or feel free to PM me). There's less of a right or wrong answer here and it's somewhat subjective to what we're all comfortable with. If you're in for next month or if you have any other thoughts for being open to meeting this week, let me know and maybe a few might be interested. Otherwise I'm leaning heavily towards next month.

Freedom Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Harbor City, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Bochey
Member #

After researching the rise in cases in Los Angeles, I'm leaning towards skipping this month. I'd say by next month we'll have more certainty on this COVID-19 situation and have a better sense of data... perhaps.

If anyone in here has thoughts on meeting, or if anyone still wants to meet – either for this time or next month – how about drop a few comments in here to give us a gauge (or feel free to PM me). There's less of a right or wrong answer here and it's somewhat subjective to what we're all comfortable with. If you're in for next month or if you have any other thoughts for being open to meeting this week, let me know and maybe a few might be interested. Otherwise I'm leaning heavily towards next month.
I’m comfortable with coming. I’ll bring extra hand sanitizer to share!

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Was looking forward to a meetup this week but can understand how the current weirdness may detract from having a good meet. Was planning on doing some back country camping in the Eastern Sierras in the coming weeks however it now seems that everyone has the same idea and it has become a bit overcrowded there especially with most of the local campgrounds closed in our area.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I feel by next month we should be good? A lot of restaurants are opening their dine in sections, spaced off of course. I personally would still prefer to sit outside for now but we're getting closer to the goal folks! Anyway I'd be up for a quick overnighter some time in the near future if we can make our schedules work out. No reason we can't maintain six feet around a camp fire and share some covid related (or other) stories. Hope everyone is healthy and safe!

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

Hey everyone......my apologies for being dormant. I had some personal family issues that needed my 100% attention. Family is all good and I can turn my attention to some fun.

Not sure if the meetings have been happening, especially with this whole crazy thing going on in our lives. I'm committing to meeting up and getting this group up and active now. I will be at the Corner Bakery on 7/16. I hope you can make it. Being stuck at home for so long has made me realize, even more, that I need to get out and enjoy life. I would love this group to be that. My kids are also itching to go out and explore what we have in CA. Let's hit Joshua Tree, norther CA, etc...and get out.

Again, my apologies for being radio silent for a while and I hope we can meet on 7/16. Send me a message and I will give you my cell number so we can have each other's contact info.

Thanks everyone,

Roy

Reactions: Big Blue

ThunderwingLC

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Monte, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Montanio
Member #

Thank you Roy,
I am a brand new member, got my membership today. I am close to the SGV Coffee and Rigs meet and am super excited to meet up with everyone on 07/16 and make friends and contacts.

Reactions: RoyD@626

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

@Toywolf Yeah, I imagine next month we'll be good! I like the idea of bringing chairs and sitting outside somewhere.

@RoyD@626 Great to hear family is good, will shoot you a private message. @MMc proudly held up the Overland Bound flag for a few meetings earlier this year pre-COVID-19. I like the idea of a trip or such, I'd say throw out some dates if you have something specific going on.

@ThunderwingLC Welcome to the group! Excited to hear about what overlanding means for you.

To all, I was thinking of doing a Big Bear Lake day trip to explore a few roads up there... all relatively tame fire roads, more site seeing and "practice" than anything else (might be too tame for some folks here). I've spent the past 2 weekends up there and probably can keep us busy on the trails for ~5 hours on roads... I'm leaning towards heading up early, exploring, and a few stops with our own lunches or such... could be fun. (Oh, and photos, of course!) Shoot me a message if interested otherwise I plan to post here when I get a date solidified. (Currently looking at something after 4th of July, a few weeks out)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hi all! I was thinking to start back up only meet between the BevMo and the Chilies. There are plenty of takeout over there and lots of parking as well. We can figure out a further place to meet then. There is a park nearby, we can figure it then.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

@Toywolf Yeah, I imagine next month we'll be good! I like the idea of bringing chairs and sitting outside somewhere.

@RoyD@626 Great to hear family is good, will shoot you a private message. @MMc proudly held up the Overland Bound flag for a few meetings earlier this year pre-COVID-19. I like the idea of a trip or such, I'd say throw out some dates if you have something specific going on.

@ThunderwingLC Welcome to the group! Excited to hear about what overlanding means for you.

To all, I was thinking of doing a Big Bear Lake day trip to explore a few roads up there... all relatively tame fire roads, more site seeing and "practice" than anything else (might be too tame for some folks here). I've spent the past 2 weekends up there and probably can keep us busy on the trails for ~5 hours on roads... I'm leaning towards heading up early, exploring, and a few stops with our own lunches or such... could be fun. (Oh, and photos, of course!) Shoot me a message if interested otherwise I plan to post here when I get a date solidified. (Currently looking at something after 4th of July, a few weeks out)
Some good basic Big Bear area trails I have done in the past month were Big Pine Flat Trail (3N16) between Arrowbear and Lake Baldwin. It's around 29 miles through basic dirt roads with some good stopping places in the Holcomb Valley. Out of Lake Baldwin the Burns Canyon Trail (2N02) will get you off the mountain and into Rimrock and is around 16 miles total.

The trail between Mill Creek to Angeles Oaks (1N12) is another basic dirt trail. You can then take Clark's Grade (1N54) and connect to the Skyline Divide Trail (2N10) to Big Bear. Lots of scenic stopping points as Skyline Divide runs the mountain ridge most of the way. Clark's Grade had some rutted sections that would be tough for a low clearance vehicle but everything else was easy.

RoyD@626

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

Sounds good. I’m 100% in. Chairs are the way to go. I think after we all meet things will start moving in the right direction.

I love the Big Bear idea- count me in. After the 4th works great. Let’s keep each IMO there posted!

Really appreciate everyone’s understanding!!

Some good basic Big Bear area trails I have done in the past month were Big Pine Flat Trail (3N16) between Arrowbear and Lake Baldwin. It's around 29 miles through basic dirt roads with some good stopping places in the Holcomb Valley. Out of Lake Baldwin the Burns Canyon Trail (2N02) will get you off the mountain and into Rimrock and is around 16 miles total.

The trail between Mill Creek to Angeles Oaks (1N12) is another basic dirt trail. You can then take Clark's Grade (1N54) and connect to the Skyline Divide Trail (2N10) to Big Bear. Lots of scenic stopping points as Skyline Divide runs the mountain ridge most of the way. Clark's Grade had some rutted sections that would be tough for a low clearance vehicle but everything else was easy.

Reactions: BKD Dave