Launch Member

Advocate III

Glendora, CA, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Diaz
Member #

Hey folks! I frequent the Big Bear area. Hope to seeing you guys on the trails.
I love BB. Let’s talk about planning a trip up there. Would love for you to show us the trails. It’s been a while since I’ve been there. I use to do 3N94 a lot and some other fun trails. Hope to see you at the meeting.

DrewKD

Rank V

Traveler III

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

New here. Would like to join you all for Big Bear. Do you guys all have monster builds that will leave me in the dust? I have a stock Ranger with the FX4 package. Not sure if I'd get left behind.....

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Hey @DrewKD! Welcome. We have an assortment of rigs. I have a stock 4Runner. It’s possible we might split up if we have enough folk to hit different types of terrain. We’ll set expectations beforehand either way so you know what to expect.

Reactions: Big Blue and DrewKD

BKD Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palm Desert, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Border
Member #

Hey there BKD Dave, the more the merrier!
Any idea when this trip will be taking place.

I continued my plans to go to AZ for Expo West, I know it's canceled, but my trip is not, taking the extra days to explore NM, AZ, CO & UT
So I will be gone from 6/23/2020 through 7/2/2020

Let me know please

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Hey @BKD Dave , I was tentatively looking at July 25th or 26th. I was thinking we head up early to beat trail traffic (early as in, leave around 5am), explore a trail – pause and eat and hang. Then explore another trail and possibly pause and/or eat and hang again with a different view. Maybe hike up to the Grand View off skyline. The trails are relatively tame and I thought it might be fun and simple with some social distancing built in.

... and if this doesn't work for your schedule, we can do something again in the future. It's also possible others will know of routes too and we'll split off if some are feeling more technical (or maybe someone would prefer a "second wave" of going up at a later time). I was up there a few weeks ago and it was very busy on the weekend.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Hey @BKD Dave , I was tentatively looking at July 25th or 26th. I was thinking we head up early to beat trail traffic (early as in, leave around 5am), explore a trail – pause and eat and hang. Then explore another trail and possibly pause and/or eat and hang again with a different view. Maybe hike up to the Grand View off skyline. The trails are relatively tame and I thought it might be fun and simple with some social distancing built in.

... and if this doesn't work for your schedule, we can do something again in the future. It's also possible others will know of routes too and we'll split off if some are feeling more technical (or maybe someone would prefer a "second wave" of going up at a later time). I was up there a few weeks ago and it was very busy on the weekend.
As much as I’d like to attend, those dates aren’t in my favor. I’ll be adventuring from July 9-15 up north and have already used time off for another shindig on the 23-24. I personally would need more notice in advance but if you all do end up going have a great time and be safe!

DrewKD

Rank V

Traveler III

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

So I was there this weekend for dispersed camping. I did 3N12, 3N14, 3N16, 2N09 and various other portions of trails. Mostly easy routes that can be done in 2 wheel drive for most sections. There are a ton of trails up there. I'd like to do some exploring with people that know the area. Unfortunately, for this upcoming one I'll be in Sequoia.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

As much as I’d like to attend, those dates aren’t in my favor. I’ll be adventuring from July 9-15 up north and have already used time off for another shindig on the 23-24. I personally would need more notice in advance but if you all do end up going have a great time and be safe!
Thanks @Toywolf! So I can better my planning game (and I acknowledge my flex/uncertainty of the dates I proposed), is 1 month generally a good "heads up"? In my mind, this could be a recon trip for future trips too since Big Bear is relatively local and has a lot to explore. PS. Enjoy your trip up north July 9-15!

So I was there this weekend for dispersed camping. I did 3N12, 3N14, 3N16, 2N09 and various other portions of trails. Mostly easy routes that can be done in 2 wheel drive for most sections. There are a ton of trails up there. I'd like to do some exploring with people that know the area. Unfortunately, for this upcoming one I'll be in Sequoia.
@DrewKD Hey, thanks for sharing. Do you have the coordinates of where you camped by any chance? Would you recommend it? I realize there are a lot of options, I need to find some "favorite spots" for dispersed camping up there. Also, it's unfortunate for us if the proposed dates don't work for you.. it doesn't sound unfortunate for you to be in Sequoia. :P

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

By the way, I started a collaborative overlanding/camping wish list on Amazon here with @Big BlueAmazon Sign-In - you should be able to subscribe and add products that either you have and enjoy (reference order history) or that you want to get. (If the link doesn't work when you read this, send me a message, it seems Amazon expires these links at some point) (Disclaimer: this Amazon wish list may result in spending money)

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

So, we are on for 7-16- 2020 6:00 to. 8:00 in the parking lot between the Staples and Chilies. There is plenty of parking and food to go within walking distance. I be flying the OB flag from a white Ram 2500 with a external roof rack.
Address is
Glendora Market Place Center
W Gladstone & South Lone Hill
1301 South Loan Hill
Glendora. CA.
We will obeying all the C-19 stuff. I would bring a chair and what ever you need.
All are welcome!!!!

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
By the way, I started a collaborative overlanding/camping wish list on Amazon here with @Big BlueAmazon Sign-In - you should be able to subscribe and add products that either you have and enjoy (reference order history) or that you want to get. (If the link doesn't work when you read this, send me a message, it seems Amazon expires these links at some point) (Disclaimer: this Amazon wish list may result in spending money)
This isn’t so much for the amazon wish list as it is for the main OB gear we use store but does anyone know when we’ll be restocking on Tembo Tusk skottles? I’ve been waiting for somewhere to restock but every distributor I’ve found is out of stock (I’m referring to the model with the telescopic legs, not the short one).

Reactions: matthewg

DannyR53

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA, USA
Member #

I love BB. Let’s talk about planning a trip up there. Would love for you to show us the trails. It’s been a while since I’ve been there. I use to do 3N94 a lot and some other fun trails. Hope to see you at the meeting.
Definitely. Are your meetings always on Thursdays?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Right now they are third Thursday of the month at 6:00 ish to 8:00 ish. very kicked back. Good folks that love to get out, some are old hands some are beginners, some are in between. We talked about possibly changing to include a adult beverage, but C-19 changed all that.
is that a problem for you?

Reactions: matthewg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

A reminder we will be getting together this Thursday. You all know how to stay safe and will be hanging out between Staples and Chilies in the parking lot. There are plenty of food place near by.
I hope to see you there!

Reactions: Big Blue

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

It’s the time. I Hope to see everybody tonight. We’ll be be between the Staples And Chilies in the parking lot doing all the safety stuff. There is plenty of place to grab a bite 6:00 it’s to 8ish.

Big Blue

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336
Fun meetup last night. MMC, good seeing you again. And, it was nice meeting new active overland friends. I’m looking forward to a trip in August.

Reactions: Freedom Runner