DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
That route would not take too much time...if you were driving near the 25mph limit.

The only real time consumer is you are back tracking with the route on the west to east course.

Unfortunately...to get to a certain road...this is what you have to do.

@Sigs Does Gaia give you a time for travel?

That route is similar to the one my son and I took hitting the firetowers.

The track is the one posted earlier on. I think had we not hit the firetowers...it would not have taken long. We did it on a Saturday that the wife had to work. Man I wish I would not have cut off the time on the screen shot lol

Last edited:

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Some information about the connection between Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests and the finally completed construction at Rt 322.

Google maps has no idea about gated roads. And since the last time I was there the traffic pattern has been different 3 out of 4 times...I had no way to know for sure.

I did drive my route the other weekend just to check this.

So if you are using my route or map overlay...here is the situation at 322.

Note: if you are using Rt 322 to get To Bald Eagle or Rothrock...you want the Sand Mountain Rd exit.

You will be on Crowfield Rd when you come to the google maps mistake. You will see a large fence blocking the route. Continue srraight(on the bright green route). You will come to an intersection with Krise Valley Rd and a turn around on the right. Continue straight following the road under 322. You can then head up and get back on the route to Sand Mountain Rd. Or if just making your own you can also turn before rejoining the route and head into the forest via Decker Valley Road.

You can also come out of Rothrock(or into) on Krise Valley Road. The connection would be the same.Screenshot_20211112-071312~2.png

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Email is sent. Waiting for a reply and then can go onto a better plan.

My goals this trip is to test out our new tent and see how my son takes to know amenities or light.

1st in the explore list is to hit site #6 and #7. We haven't seen them yet. If we stay in Rothrock, this will be first on the list.

2nd is to enjoy the trails and area near were we camp. Try to learn about the wildlife and culture of human use there. Hope for more wildlife and less humans.

The biggest decision so far is Jeep or RAM. Wish I could drive both lol.
Appreciate this thread, thanks for sharing! Starting to plan my own trip to Rothrock. Have Purple Lizard maps ordered.

Can you share the e-mail address for reserving camp sites in Rothrock?

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Appreciate this thread, thanks for sharing! Starting to plan my own trip to Rothrock. Have Purple Lizard maps ordered.

Can you share the e-mail address for reserving camp sites in Rothrock?
You can go here to check availability, fill out the form for permit and see their email address, phone number.

Any other questions ask away. No one has been really talking about the forests lately. Guess I shared too much info...hahaha

I miss discussing it with people .
Screenshot_20220817-124843.png

Reactions: Zach_42a0dc

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

You can go here to check availability, fill out the form for permit and see their email address, phone number.

Any other questions ask away. No one has been really talking about the forests lately. Guess I shared too much info...hahaha

I miss discussing it with people .
View attachment 238361
Thanks for the info!

Hoping to camp at site #3 or #4. Looks like a good deal of "high clearance" trails around there based on Purple Lizard map, but most appear to be gated off

This will be the shakedown trip for my Trooper, and first camping trip with the 1.5 yr old. Going to attempt to hike (again, wish those trails weren't gated off!) up to Quinn's Rock since that's my kid's name.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the info!

Hoping to camp at site #3 or #4. Looks like a good deal of "high clearance" trails around there based on Purple Lizard map, but most appear to be gated off

This will be the shakedown trip for my Trooper, and first camping trip with the 1.5 yr old. Going to attempt to hike (again, wish those trails weren't gated off!) up to Quinn's Rock since that's my kid's name.
The ones with the gates are administrative roads.

We were just on the 4x4 High Clearance road today. We watched the sunrise. Wampler/ GettisRidge road. It is a beautiful road. Very bumpy with some puddles...but no need for 4x4.20220821_070345_HDR.jpg20220821_060424.jpg20220821_061450_HDR.jpg

The other 4x4 High Clearance road, Leading ridge Rd. Is a beautiful road...but no 4x4 needed there either.
20200801_110713.jpg

Site 3 is a nice site. We stay there often. Site 4. Is pretty nice too. And right near the 4x4 HC road Wampler.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the info!

Where is Quinn's rock?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
It's a spot in Bear Meadows right off North Meadows Rd (an administrative road, but open to bikers/hikers I think). Purple Lizard map has it marked.
One good thing. Atleast it being on the administrative road the hike will be easy.
Think we will check it out next time we are there.

Do you have a jogging stroller? That would be perfect for the roads with a 1.5 year old.

Been out of the forest for less than half a day and already ready to go sit on a trail somewhere

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

One good thing. Atleast it being on the administrative road the hike will be easy.
Think we will check it out next time we are there.

Do you have a jogging stroller? That would be perfect for the roads with a 1.5 year old.

Been out of the forest for less than half a day and already ready to go sit on a trail somewhere
If you get there before mid-Oct, post a report!

Thanks for the stroller tip - that may allow us to do a little more than I even was planning!

• Love

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Spent this past weekend in Roth Rock disperse camping at site #4. Great views with the leaves changing colors and can't wait to get back and explore more.

Had to take the VW Tiguan since I had a transmission issue pop up with the Trooper. Space was a bit tight, but no issues on Wampler, the only high-clearance road we tried besides having to take it at 4mph and watch for rocks.

Hit a couple trails and checked off a few purple lizards. Indian Wells was incredible and probably my favorite view. Keith Springs is easily accessible and worth it. Quinn's Rock is underwhelming compared to the other two.

A couple photos from our trip:

Attachments

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Spent this past weekend in Roth Rock disperse camping at site #4. Great views with the leaves changing colors and can't wait to get back and explore more.

Had to take the VW Tiguan since I had a transmission issue pop up with the Trooper. Space was a bit tight, but no issues on Wampler, the only high-clearance road we tried besides having to take it at 4mph and watch for rocks.

Hit a couple trails and checked off a few purple lizards. Indian Wells was incredible and probably my favorite view. Keith Springs is easily accessible and worth it. Quinn's Rock is underwhelming compared to the other two.

Should've added per the OP: wasn't able to check out the Roth Rock to Bald Eagle connection as I determined the VW wasn't up for the Bald Eagle trails I had wanted to try. (At least not with a short attention span 1.5 yr old on board!).

• Love

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer

Awesome. Glad you made it out and had a good trip.

Man do I love Rothrock in the fall

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The 4th edition Bald Eagle map by Purple Lizard dropped today, fyi.
Old Lancaster Valley gate is now back up.

And early on in the year a fellow adventurer noticed a gate on Kammardiner Rd. Mike and the lizard team added it to the 4th edition also.

I have not been in BESF in some time. Guess it is time to head back with the new map.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I've been waiting to for it to come out as I haven't gotten one for Bald Eagle yet. Glad it's out with time yet to explore this fall!
I am buying tires in the next week or 2...then I plan to spend the weekend adventuring through Rothrock and Bald Eagle. I have not been in the forest for about a month...withdrawal is terrible....State Park adventuring just isn't the same