Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I have the Nomadic 4 from OVS (manufactured by the same Chinese company that does most RTTs), this is a smaller and cheaper RTT they offer.

The used market is nuts and even a lot of the new market is nuts with price markups due to low inventory. Sometimes you'll find some good deals in the for sale section here on the forums as well, but at $1,000 or less for an RTT you'll probably have to take what you can get (and the RTT I linked won't be in stock until next month).

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey I'm new to this. But I'm looking for a roof top tent on the cheaper side, preferably under 1000.

Any recommendations?

I bought my hardshell RTT used--like new but used on only one father-son trip--for about half price almost four years ago.

The deals are out there, but you may have to search a good bit and be willing to drive a ways to get it. You can also do a search for "rooftops tents under 1000" and see several.

** Before you get one, though, it'll pay to research more about the different types and determine what fits your style more; soft shell, hard shell, hybrid fold out, etc.

There are a ton of threads here on how folks perceive the pros and cons of different types of RTTs. Lots of threads on heat and cooling, too.

Here's a post I made in such a thread, with what I consider to be the benefits of my hardshell RTT, based on experience of over 600 nights out in all kinds of weather and situations:

Here are several more you may find helpful; all of which talk about rooftop tents and various types:

Soft shell, hard shell or ground tent?

Rooftop Tent Camping - has several opinions on RTT, ground tents, why, etc:

Eight pages of Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent:

Nine pages of Rooftop Tent, Yay or Nay. OP asks who switched from RTT to ground tent, or vice versa, why, and if RTT are just gimmicks:

Ten pages of "What is your preferred shelter? Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs etc...

You will also get better response when you post questions like this in the different sub-forums instead of "New Members Start Here." There are subforums for all sorts of things; Gear, Rigs, and Q&A subforums on all sorts of things, too.

Good luck, hope you find just the right one at just the right price.

Watermarked3(2019-01-19-1051)-900.jpeg

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey I'm new to this. But I'm looking for a roof top tent on the cheaper side, preferably under 1000.

Any recommendations?
Welcome To Overland Bound
For your tent question you can ask the question on these sub pages;
Overland Gear
Overland Q&A

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The local Member Representative is @NC-Trooper
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course