Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

How bad is the wind noise with Plano/pelican (rifle cases) mounted o the roof?
I see you have been ignored twice now. I'll respond with my comments. I use the Hannibal Wolf Boxes and associated cover (see the first page for photos). I don't experience anymore wind noise than driving without them. I will say that aerodynamics are reduced even further when they are mounted on the roof. I drive a Defender so aerodynamics aren't exactly up there anyway.

TOMITOMATO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PROSPECT HEIGHTS IL
Member #

I see you have been ignored twice now. I'll respond with my comments. I use the Hannibal Wolf Boxes and associated cover (see the first page for photos). I don't experience anymore wind noise than driving without them. I will say that aerodynamics are reduced even further when they are mounted on the roof. I drive a Defender so aerodynamics aren't exactly up there anyway.
The case itself is 52x13x7 is the drag shouldn’t be too bad I’m more concerned about the noise!
Worst case scenario I’ll sell it and look for a different solution!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

The case itself is 52x13x7 is the drag shouldn’t be too bad I’m more concerned about the noise!
Worst case scenario I’ll sell it and look for a different solution!
My wolf boxes are L 56 x W 23 x H45 so when I have all three in a row on my roof I have an extra L53 x W 69 barrier for the wind to catch.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

How bad your mileage drops?
My mileage is terrible anyway. The Land Rover Defender doesn't do good mileage unless it's on a trailer. I haven't noticed any difference at all. I only use them when we're going away anywhere.

That probably doesn't really help you.

Did you see the photos on the first page of this thread?

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

TOMITOMATO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PROSPECT HEIGHTS IL
Member #

My mileage is terrible anyway. The Land Rover Defender doesn't do good mileage unless it's on a trailer. I haven't noticed any difference at all. I only use them when we're going away anywhere.

That probably doesn't really help you.

Did you see the photos on the first page of this thread?
True I don’t know wh I’m worrying about. I’m not planning on loadin up 800 pounds of gear and mods and the gas is at a all time low!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I recently bought some of the wolf pack boxes from Front Runner. My experience so far with these boxes has been excellent. I dedicate two of the boxes for my recovery gear stacked on top of my rig maintenance necessities in the back of the JKU. They do not leak however they are NOT water proof. You can use straps to tie them down in the back. Overall very secure in the rear of the Jeep and would totally purchase again. Will be using my other two on top of the GOBI rack once I make the trek across country to CO.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I recently bought some of the wolf pack boxes from Front Runner. My experience so far with these boxes has been excellent. I dedicate two of the boxes for my recovery gear stacked on top of my rig maintenance necessities in the back of the JKU. They do not leak however they are NOT water proof. You can use straps to tie them down in the back. Overall very secure in the rear of the Jeep and would totally purchase again. Will be using my other two on top of the GOBI rack once I make the trek across country to CO.
I have three which I carry on my roof in the dedicated Hannibal cover. They're sturdy, stackable and worth the money I spent on them. I will agree that their waterproofness is poor.

Reactions: Nickzero

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

How’s the wind noise with both of them babies mounted?
Sorry for some reason I didn't get the notification. Wind noise is no worse than my rack alone once I found the sweet spot for them. Only place the noise is noticeably worse is if I scoot them forward such that they overhang the edge of my rack, which allows wind to slip up under them at speed. Several thousand miles logged between Toronto, ON, and Nashville, TN with no noticeable drop in my already low fuel mileage. Was a little hassle at the border last time since one of my locks had frozen up en route and they of course asked to inspect. Nothing a little lock de icer couldn't handle, but something to think about if you may need access to them fast in the winter.

TOMITOMATO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PROSPECT HEIGHTS IL
Member #

Sorry for some reason I didn't get the notification. Wind noise is no worse than my rack alone once I found the sweet spot for them. Only place the noise is noticeably worse is if I scoot them forward such that they overhang the edge of my rack, which allows wind to slip up under them at speed. Several thousand miles logged between Toronto, ON, and Nashville, TN with no noticeable drop in my already low fuel mileage. Was a little hassle at the border last time since one of my locks had frozen up en route and they of course asked to inspect. Nothing a little lock de icer couldn't handle, but something to think about if you may need access to them fast in the winter.
My plan is to mount it on the LFD crossbars and store recovery gear in it along with a set of maxtrax and a hilift but I don’t know how my fat ass is gonna get up there when situation will require it!

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

Hi all this is my 1st post...

why not a soft water proof wet bag? When its empty you can roll it up and stuff it inside your vehicle. It will only be as large as the amount of stuff you have in it. Not Bear proof of course.

For example:
UNPLUG 155L Waterproof Duffel Bag -1680D Heavy Duty XL Waterproof Dry Bag for Camping Gear.
$189 on Amazon.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I know this is an old thread but thought I would add my set up to the thread chain.
I am running the pelican vault v800s which are mounted to my prinsu rack. It holds a ton of gear and I kept the foam inserts and cut out spaces for my equipment.
Noise is not apparent against all the regular truck noise.
This has been mounted for almost a year now and is holding up well, still water-tight and secure. Have bounced the rig pretty good and no shifting at all.

7C68867F-60B5-40FE-9037-C5C67B65E74E.jpegB1B41874-AE1F-4F66-BDA1-36CFB0B56CCC.jpeg

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Interesting that this thread was revived just days after I ordered this case:

I was searching for a low profile storage case to use on my Gobi Stealth rack, just to store a few items I don’t use daily. I drive long distances (2-10K miles per trip) and wanted to minimize both noise and the profile of my vehicle. The cost was just a little less than the Pelican V800.

Reactions: Advtres

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I had an aluminium box custom made to fit my roof rack. I use it to carry oils, greases and other bits which usually rattle around in the back of my 90. I also have 3 Hannibal Wolf boxes which fit perfectly behind the aliminium box when required.20200518_155326.jpg2017-08-19 15.11.26.jpg

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I have the Pelican Vault v700 & v800 depending on the length of trip and love them both. I tie them down with ratchet straps and they’re fine. No noise, no gas mileage difference at all. They carry most of my recovery gear and extra shovel, tools etc. With one layer of foam and a wool blanket on top nothing moves around or makes noise. I’ve recently purchased ROAM boxes due to the Xmas sale and the fact that the tops open and stay open by themselves. If you mount the pelican on the edge of the roof rack and it opens towards the middle, sometimes it’s hard to reach to close, so I screwed in a pull tab to help close it. Def recommend them.