Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello folks,

Well the interior is done.
So now we can travel with all equipment and Luggage neetly tuck away. And we can sleep in it as well.
This sleeping is just in case of long travels short night or when the time to set up camp is just too short.
Here the results.

And for the last part, I made a little "table" in the door.

The handle on the right is to open the door from the inside.

Well that is it for this moment. This one is ready for 2017.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Very nice!

I can't wait for my trip to the Netherlands in a few months.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Iam starting a new project.
A caratrailer. So a combination between a Caravan and a Trailer. A bit bigger as a Teardrop trailer, bus way smaller as a Caravan.
And it will look something like this.

Not very sure about the size. And how it will look like when I am done, but hey, this is a bit the start of our new Project.

Greetings from Robert

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

There will be a new project coming up.
It is called the Caratrailer.
It will be a combination of a caravan and a trailer, not a full fledged caravan and more then just a trailer.
That is why it is called a caratrailer.
Similar to a teardrop trailer, but bigger.
We had the following considerations to follow.
1. width had to be no more as 161 cm. Done.
2. Height ground to top no more as 220 cm. Done
3. Enough ground space. Done
4. had to have a bed of 150 x 200 cm. Done
5. Height in the box had to be 150cm. Done.
6. Storage space under the bed. Done
7. Space for an outdoor kitchen and cool box. Done.
The caratrailer will be build by Dutch Campers at Lelystad.
https://www.dutchcampers.nl/
https://www.facebook.com/dutchcampers/?fref=ts
And this is the first picture of the Caratrailer.
More to come.
Note: this will be the first of a new breed of trailer here in Europe. Especially made for Greenlaning and Overlanding.
he will be light, agile, sturdy, and not wider then the towing vehicle. Which will be very important on narrow lanes.
He will be not higher as the towing vehicle with a roof rack and storages boxes.
so if the vehicle can pass a narrow passage, the trailer can do this as well.
It will have Solar power, an aggregate, water and lots of easy acces storage. A simple kitchen and a Foxwing Awning
All together, it will be the best Caratrailer to have with you on your Greenlaning and Overland Tours.
Follow this build.

Reactions: Joey83 and Steve

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

And again a little bit of extra info about the Caratrailer.
I ordered and received.
One hatch which makes the entrance to the kitchen

This will be at the back.
A little piece for the electrical system

Sprayed the Rims

Hopefully tomorrow the new spare tyre for the Frontera will come, and then I can put two BFG MT tyres on these rims.
I have two more which will be the spare ones in the future.
This is the "new" rim for the spare tyre of the Frontera

So, busy with all those little things you normally do after, but I am doing these before, so when I get started, it will go as fast and smooth as hell.

Reactions: Joey83

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

And today we made again some progress on the trailer.
First of all I changed the basic chassis into a form that is more or less ready to receive the box on top of it.

After cutting of the end, which will be extended, I put up some bigger tyres

And Lucky is, without anymore adjustment the chassis stood perfectly straight behind the Frontera

And we must say, it is a nice big difference between the Original wheels and the new ones

Most of the work we did today was discussing some measurements. And the result is that the trailer will be longer for a 12cm.
This will provide more space inside and will not affect the offroad capabilities of it.
We also discussed some windows, solar panel, hatches which if the price is right will be installed by Dutch Campers. Which means less work for me.

I hope I can give them a go tomorrow and when we get back from the Expo next week it will be finished in the basic form.
Then I have to paint it and start working on the exterior and interior of it.
This should be ready in from now 4 weeks time.

I will keep you posted.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Looks like a nice frame! any drawings of your plans with it Robert or you going to leave us all guessing till it is done? :P

The trailer does have brakes right? (see the hand brake.) How heavy you think it will be? No idea how big of a hassle it is to get a licence plate for a own build trailer.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

drawings? Actually I have two. hehe.
One made by me, which isnt the best, and one by the company.
Some little changes will be there.

I hope that next week I have some other pictures of it during the production of it.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

That is one of the things I added first on my list of requirements.
I have an Oztent. Really very good tent. Set up in 30 seconds, and ready to go to bed in about 15 minutes. That is a good time. Even doable in the dark.
I had the VW T3 with all the things I made for it. I needed about 30 minutes to build up camp. Which is fine.
But, I wanted something faster and less trouble.
We have big tarps, they are great, but lots of work.
Put up the tent, the beds all those things, you dont do easy beside the road.
A roof tent wasnt an option, because of the dog and my reumatism.

Therefore we came to a trailer in which we could sleep. But or they were teardrops and too wide but too low, or a bigger one, which was way too expensive, had too much interior or the conqueror ones from South Africa of Australia had still lots of work before you can sleep in them. And way to expensive.

So this is our solution. I hope it will work out fine.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
That is one of the things I added first on my list of requirements.
I have an Oztent. Really very good tent. Set up in 30 seconds, and ready to go to bed in about 15 minutes. That is a good time. Even doable in the dark.
I had the VW T3 with all the things I made for it. I needed about 30 minutes to build up camp. Which is fine.
But, I wanted something faster and less trouble.
We have big tarps, they are great, but lots of work.
Put up the tent, the beds all those things, you dont do easy beside the road.
A roof tent wasnt an option, because of the dog and my reumatism.

Therefore we came to a trailer in which we could sleep. But or they were teardrops and too wide but too low, or a bigger one, which was way too expensive, had too much interior or the conqueror ones from South Africa of Australia had still lots of work before you can sleep in them. And way to expensive.

So this is our solution. I hope it will work out fine.
I like the idea of sleeping in it but mine being a nato trailer is just a bit to small ,
so iam in the process of converting a VW CRAFTER but thats another story lol , sorry couldent meet you in wales and its only an hour from me but trying for kissenjen
Me and my para mates wanting to vistit Arniem is that far from you

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Arnhem is just around the corner. And I know some stuff about Market Garden. Plus I know the best museum to visit for that.
And If you like to do a nice tour along the liberation route here in Holland with some Laning I can make a nice route around the liberation route.

Just tell how many days you have. Just remember, Holland aint Wales, Laning is very easy here, except when there is mud.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Arnhem is just around the corner. And I know some stuff about Market Garden. Plus I know the best museum to visit for that.
And If you like to do a nice tour along the liberation route here in Holland with some Laning I can make a nice route around the liberation route.

Just tell how many days you have. Just remember, Holland aint Wales, Laning is very easy here, except when there is mud.
Always been on my bucket list. To vistit the bridge my mates and family para reg (First in ) Worth ld love to do full tour with some one who knows the area am going to pm you. , ill wesr my uncles Denison smock

Last edited:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

So today I heard the glueing, cutting or better said, the production of my trailer has begun.
I have got the last drawing of the trailer and I also am wondering what it should be called when ready.
The production name which I gave it, the Caratrailer doesnt sound that well, so what do you think it should be called?
BCT = Base Camp Trailer...
OTT = Overland Traveler Trailer
TC = Track Trailer
TC = Track Companion
EC = European Conquerer
DTT B 57 = Dragonriders Travel Trailer B model 57 my age when it is build. The A model is our first trailer.
Or another suggestion?

Anyway, I hope that at the end of next week it is ready or at least the week after.
We will see.

Latest drawing is like this.

Well I hope the manufacturer wont forget to make pictures of it. And I hope I will be able to post them asap.

Reactions: Steve

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
So today I heard the glueing, cutting or better said, the production of my trailer has begun.
I have got the last drawing of the trailer and I also am wondering what it should be called when ready.
The production name which I gave it, the Caratrailer doesnt sound that well, so what do you think it should be called?
BCT = Base Camp Trailer...
OTT = Overland Traveler Trailer
TC = Track Trailer
TC = Track Companion
EC = European Conquerer
DTT B 57 = Dragonriders Travel Trailer B model 57 my age when it is build. The A model is our first trailer.
Or another suggestion?

Anyway, I hope that at the end of next week it is ready or at least the week after.
We will see.

Latest drawing is like this.

Well I hope the manufacturer wont forget to make pictures of it. And I hope I will be able to post them asap.
overland pegasus