First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Any updates on your trailer build?
No updates yet. I'm still working out the design. I toyed with the idea of making the box removable so I can still use the trailer for utility purposes as well. I just don't think it's gonna work that way.

I hoping to start building it soon though.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
OK, I know I've not posted anything in a while. I've still been trying to figure out what exactly I want to build the box frame out of.

Cost of steel keeps going up. That, combined with the fact that I would have to buy a whole lot of additional equipment, learn to use it, then build the trailer kind of rules that out. I did talk with a local fabricator last week, and he flat out said materials and labor cost is going to be insane. Probably 2000+.

Wood, while easy to work with, requires lots of sealing, and reinforcement to be strong, and last. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think I can get better strength with less weight with other materials.

Extruded aluminum. This is what I will be building my box frame out of. I priced it out, and to build what I want, will cost me about $600. This has the advantage of giving me more strength, less weight, and can be bolted together using basic hand tools.

I'll still need to skin it using wood, but I like the added advantages of the t-slot frame. I'm hoping I'll be able to get this box built over the winter. Maybe I can talk my parents into loaning me thier garage.....

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just finished designing the skeleton for the box. Definitely going with extruded aluminum from T-Nutz.com.

With everything pre-cut, and corner gusset brackets, the materials come out to $705 plus shipping.

This is the way.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2x4 8s just dropped here from $17 each to $4 each
but you won't regret using aluminium

Reactions: M Rose

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, with getting the week off of work, and the fact that I have many trips planned for next year, I decided it was time to start building the trailer.

I've taken over my parents garage for the week, and today, my dad and I got ALOT done on the trailer.

We got all the old wood and steel signpost uprights off the trailer.

Hadn't taken the old deck off yet at this point.

Once we got the old rotten osb off, I cleaned up the sheet metal on the bottom, and inspected the frame. No rust, no deterioration to speak of.

With the bare frame exposed, we measured the length of the deck, and decided to bump the length from 72in to 78 3/4 inches.

We then layed the 2x4 runners that the base of the walls will screw to at the bottom, and drilled 8 holes all the way through the steel deck to bolt the box to the frame.

We then glued and screwed the vertical supports to the runners.

And finally, we glued and screwed the horizontal supports.

That's all for day one. Tomorrow the walls go on, and we start working on how to do the doors. I also need to order the taillights, which will likely be here Wednesday.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Good luck with your build. I have a trailer that a friend made the frame and then we built the box to go on it. I made it so it can be use in different ways. For camping I just carry everything in it, I do not have a pull out kitchen or wash area, for me tables work great for that, but that is me.
Right now it’s in the garage getting some updates, new 6000lb axle with brakes, bent the 3500lb one. Some rework done to the inside and adding a fridge box on the front, plus more. I also want to put my RTT on the trailer, so I made the doors larger.

here are some pictures

Attachments

Reactions: reaver

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So, with getting the week off of work, and the fact that I have many trips planned for next year, I decided it was time to start building the trailer.

I've taken over my parents garage for the week, and today, my dad and I got ALOT done on the trailer.

We got all the old wood and steel signpost uprights off the trailer.

Hadn't taken the old deck off yet at this point.

Once we got the old rotten osb off, I cleaned up the sheet metal on the bottom, and inspected the frame. No rust, no deterioration to speak of.

With the bare frame exposed, we measured the length of the deck, and decided to bump the length from 72in to 78 3/4 inches.

We then layed the 2x4 runners that the base of the walls will screw to at the bottom, and drilled 8 holes all the way through the steel deck to bolt the box to the frame.

We then glued and screwed the vertical supports to the runners.

And finally, we glued and screwed the horizontal supports.

That's all for day one. Tomorrow the walls go on, and we start working on how to do the doors. I also need to order the taillights, which will likely be here Wednesday.
Looking good buddy… but wow that’s going to be one heavy trailer… way to over build it… me likes

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looking good buddy… but wow that’s going to be one heavy trailer… way to over build it… me likes
I don't think it'll be too bad. It'll probably weigh about 1000 lbs or so when empty. But.... It'll definitely hold all our stuff.

I need to call a local guy about rhino lining the exterior of the box.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't think it'll be too bad. It'll probably weigh about 1000 lbs or so when empty. But.... It'll definitely hold all our stuff.

Rhino Liner rolls on really easily. I would DIY it.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
My dad and I talked about that today, and figured out a way we're we can lift the box off the frame. Once it warms up in the spring, it's getting a diy bedliner coating.

As for the build, we got all the walls glued and screwed today, along with the doors cut out.

Looking inside the trailer....

SO MUCH ROOM!

Hinges came today, so tomorrow we can figure out the doors, get them mounted, and install the latches.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force

a note about the Rhino lining. In my first picture of the white trailer box behind the JKUR, that box was made of plywood. Even after a primer, the Rhino liner soaked right in. So I recommend priming it twice before Rhino lining to ensure a good base.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
My dad and I talked about that today, and figured out a way we're we can lift the box off the frame. Once it warms up in the spring, it's getting a diy bedliner coating.

As for the build, we got all the walls glued and screwed today, along with the doors cut out.

SO MUCH ROOM!

Hinges came today, so tomorrow we can figure out the doors, get them mounted, and install the latches.
a note about the Rhino lining. In my first picture of the white trailer box behind the JKUR, that box was made of plywood. Even after a primer, the Rhino liner soaked right in. So I recommend priming it twice before Rhino lining to ensure a good base.
Duely noted. I'm debating roll on, or spray on raptor liner. Raptor will be more expensive, and I'd need to buy a spray gun, but it may be worth the extra cost. I'm not sure yet.

Reactions: Dusther210

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force

SO MUCH ROOM!

Duely noted. I'm debating roll on, or spray on raptor liner. Raptor will be more expensive, and I'd need to buy a spray gun, but it may be worth the extra cost. I'm not sure yet.
mine was done at a body shop.

For my current box, I use a marine varnish on Hickory wood and it holds up great

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, the base box is done.

We had plenty of plywood left over, so we built a box to hold my kitchen stuff on one side:

Still lots of work left to do. I need to rebuild the doors, add re-enforcement to the middle of the kitchen box, paint it (obviously). At that point, it'll at least be usable. My goal is to have that all done prior to my annual memorial day trip.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
So, the base box is done.

We had plenty of plywood left over, so we built a box to hold my kitchen stuff on one side:

Still lots of work left to do. I need to rebuild the doors, add re-enforcement to the middle of the kitchen box, paint it (obviously). At that point, it'll at least be usable. My goal is to have that all done prior to my annual memorial day trip.
That door could make a really nice table