Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

IMG_20180721_175506376.jpg
Typically my kitchen setup is some variation of this - CR-V table doubling as the stove holder and the eating table. I'm looking into some alternatives to free up the table for eating and moving the stove to a different location. I've played with different ideas including getting the Coleman deluxe folding kitchen or building a kitchen system into the drawers/shelf I plan to build in the back of the V. For the time being, I've got a plywood piece that perfectly spans the tub under the table once it's removed, thusly allowing me to use the back cargo area of the V for cooking and the table for eating.

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Zolyak
View attachment 69793 We do not cook inside the camper, though on rare occasions we may want to heat up a can of stew or boil water for coffee. Our kitchen gear is contained in two milk-crate size boxes, which keeps it dry, dust-free and portable. The boxes can easily be lifted out and used with an external truck-mounted shelf, or carried to a campground picnic table, or even into a motel room. There is no built-in stove, icebox, sink or water tankage.
I like the shelf. How is it mounted to the truck?

CCFinOKC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Member #

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sheldon Avenue, Mount Shasta, CA, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Brunmeier
Member #

How do you like the camp chef? I've looked at it as an alt to shelves. I actually like to cook away from my Jeep but everything I have been spec'ing as of late is slide outs...which are hard mounted and I already complain about the lack of cargo space.
It takes up a lot of space, but it is a good table, and organizer. i only load it when camping. all my stuff fits in it, so i dont forget anything. it is heavy duty.

PB1302

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fairfield, California, United States
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Brestak
Member #

Here are some photos of the kitchen I built. Most of it is made from birch plywood, other parts are just white sanded plywood. I rushed a few bits because of a camping trip, but its all works great. Needs some sliders on the bottom so it's easier to move in and out of the truck. Then still need to put in a hand operated water pump so dishes are easier to wash. The stove in the picture has been replaced already with a nice Camp Chef Everest (different brand....same one). Love the setup. So much space for storage and preparation. Then it all folds up into a nice and tidy box.

Attachments

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Wow, some elaborate set-ups here! I tend to not cook much other than heating water. I make sandwiches, baguettes & cheese, beef jerky, coffee, and wine on occasion. Here's my van kitchen and you notice the sink with the water jug in it (so I don't have to dink around with sanitizing and filling the water tank), and two burner stove in the counter which is closed. I use the fridge and little butane burner. Now and then I do eggs or, if I brought my BBQ, a steak.

In the LX, I carry a little MSR Superfly stove which I usually use on the tailgate to boil water for coffee or MH freeze dried pouches. I am never in a place for more than an overnight so setting up "camp" is not in my DNA.